External Amp for Rf-5?

Loudly Does It

Just wondering for those out there with Rf-5 speakers.  If you have a Pioneer Elite SC-75 even better as that's what I have.   I was wondering if it would make a difference with the speakers?  I have a 5.1 set up with the RC-7 for a center.  I know some of it is subjective and some depends on the room.  I do have a large living room.  It's 18'x 23' with 20' high ceilings.  Interested in opinions. 

External amp, as in power amp I am assuming? Any speaker can benefit from clean dedicated power - doesn't matter what speaker it is. Power amps can throw out more power in many cases than an AVR can, thus providing better overall sound. I don't know how Pioneer rates its gear - if it's by one channel driven, two, or all...but usually you will see higher power ratings and lower distortion values on a power amp over an AVR.

I have three speakers on their own amplifiers...my RF-3 II towers - the little brothers to the RF-5's, and my RC-3 II.

The Pioneer Elite should have plenty of power.

Power Output: Watts per Channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08 %, 2 ch Driven FTC) 135 Watts Power Output: Watts per Channel (4 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 %, 2 ch Driven) 220 Watts Power Output: Watts Multi ch Simultaneous Drive (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 %) 760 Watts 4 OHM Speaker Yes Estimated Power Consumption/Standby with HDMI Control off

330 Watts /0.1 Watts (Standby

If you don't think the speakers are not getting enough power, some of us will power the Mains or Mains and center with an external amp.  The nice thing with this avr is that it will swing more watts as the impedance drops which is great for movies.  For music, I don't think you need anything extra.

Edited by derrickdj1

I have RF-5 ll's and I have used several high end receivers to power them. I am currently powering them with an Emotiva XPA-2 which is a 2 channel 250 watt per channel amp and my RF-5 ll's have never sounded better. They love the power and have improved clarity and stronger bass with the extra power and headroom.

I love the sound I get from my RF-5 ll's and have found many ways to improve their sound in the years since I purchased them as an original owner sometime ago in 2001.

For Music my MHDT Havana NOS Tube DAC really brought my RF-5 ll's to an all new level.

Edited by Rich_Guy

I have RF-5 ll's and I have used several high end receivers to power them. I am currently powering them with an Emotiva XPA-2 which is a 2 channel 250 watt per channel amp and my RF-5 ll's have never sounded better.

I have found that some of the smaller speakers in the Reference line benefit the most from an ext. amp.  I see this with my surrounds.  I guess that are less efficient than the bigger speakers.  It's  kinda like the opposite of what you would think, bigger speakers needing the amp.

I have RF-5 ll's and I have used several high end receivers to power them. I am currently powering them with an Emotiva XPA-2 which is a 2 channel 250 watt per channel amp and my RF-5 ll's have never sounded better.

I have found that some of the smaller speakers in the Reference line benefit the most from an ext. amp.  I see this with my surrounds.  I guess that are less efficient than the bigger speakers.  It's  kinda like the opposite of what you would think, bigger speakers needing the amp.

The RF-5 is still a very efficient speaker at 99dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter,  yes the RF-7 is higher at 101dB

I found the same with the Promedia 5.1. The BASH Amp died so I bought a Sony 5.1 AV and the satellites don't have the punch the BASH gave them. They kinda sound like my 1968 Sears' Transistor Radio. Been in touch with Henry Koch who has been recommended on this site as a BASH Amp guru fixer... need to get them sent out.

Edited by dncdesign

Do you have a subwoofer?

{Edit: I see that you do and wonder what it is--That may be where you want to spend your upgrade dollars.}

Yes.  I have a JBL PW12.  I need to recalibrate everything since I moved some furniture and it looks like one of the kids moved a setting on the sub.  You think it's too weak for the size of my living room?

Then I would use an SPL meter to gage how loud you listen to 3 or 4 reference material selections and then decide if you think you would enjoy it louder--If so, purchase an external amp and level-match it to that number and if you can go higher with satisfaction it may be worth it....Another option would be on the lookout for used RF-7s.

Edited by Zen Traveler

The room is 8000 + cu ft.  I would think reverb would be a factor in the sound clarity.  I use the Pioneer Elite but, the avr can only correct so much.  Definitely run the speakers as small with multiple subs, 4.  Stepping up to larger mains may help.  Which center channel are you using?  Do you have any room treatments?

I have found that some of the smaller speakers in the Reference line benefit the most from an ext. amp. I see this with my surrounds. I guess that are less efficient than the bigger speakers. It's kinda like the opposite of what you would think, bigger speakers needing the amp.

The RF-5 is still a very efficient speaker at 99dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter, yes the RF-7 is higher at 101dB
both of those efficency ratings are off. Klipsch inflates those a bit. And your Xpa-2 should be 300 watts per channel. ;)

• Moderators
The room is 8000 + cu ft. I would think reverb would be a factor in the sound clarity.

I agree....with nothing turned on, clap your hands really loud and see if there is a significant echo.  If so, dialogue will suffer as the direct sound hits your ears and reflected sound hits your ears at a later point in time which "confuses" your brain thus making the sound muffled.  Acoustic treatments really help add clarity to your room.

The room is 8000 + cu ft.  I would think reverb would be a factor in the sound clarity.  I use the Pioneer Elite but, the avr can only correct so much.  Definitely run the speakers as small with multiple subs, 4.  Stepping up to larger mains may help.  Which center channel are you using?  Do you have any room treatments?

I'm using the rc-7 for center. There are no room treatments in this room.  We have a huge sectional and an additional recliner but it so such a big room that we still have an echo.  I mentioned creating some acoustic panels to the wife, but she never responded.  

both of those efficency ratings are off. Klipsch inflates those a bit. And your Xpa-2 should be 300 watts per channel. ;)

I used efficiency ratings Klipsch supplied in old specs,  Emotiva has used both 250 and 300 watts per channel describing the XPA-2 I believe they found the XPA-2 to put out more than they thought and upped the rating after the initial specs were given

On 4/10/2016 at 9:24 PM, 'Loudnobnoxious said:

I'm using the rc-7 for center. There are no room treatments in this room. We have a huge sectional and an additional recliner but it so such a big room that we still have an echo. I mentioned creating some acoustic panels to the wife, but she never responded.

I hear you.  I got kicked  out of the family room when I wanted to start doing to many things.  Room Tx's can be decoration is done right and take on the form of room art.  You can make your own and select some really nice fabric.

post-50685-0-28620000-1460347312_thumb.j

I'm using the rc-7 for center. There are no room treatments in this room. We have a huge sectional and an additional recliner but it so such a big room that we still have an echo. I mentioned creating some acoustic panels to the wife, but she never responded.

I hear you.  I got kicked  out of the family room when I wanted to start doing to many things.  Room Tx's can be decoration is done right and take on the form of room art.  You can make your own and select some really nice fabric.

Something custom made with some of the pictures she takes or a collage of the kids may work.  Problem is we're going to need a lot of them and she loves the big open space and not cluttering the walls too much.  Eventually I want to build a man cave/home theater in the garage.  That i know will solve most of it.  Just have to tough it out for now.  That project is still a few years away unfortunately.  The kitchen needs to be done first.