Big Time Separation Angst

Wolfbane

Two words thunder shirt.

I have a friend who uses one. He says it keeps his dog from frwaking out during loud storms.

http://www.thundershirt.com

I would also neuter the dog.

I know they work with thunder but didn't realize they'd work with separation issues.  A friend of mine used it with one of his dogs and said it worked like magic for his dogs issues with thunderstorms but over time the effect wore off. 

• Moderators
Begin crate training.  That will become his "safe spot".  Introduce it slowly, encouraging him to use it.  Cover the crate with a blanket or something, leaving only the door so he can see out.  Play soft music while you are away so he can not hear any out of door happenings.    This will take several weeks to become successful.  Contact some local trainers for more input.    One of my dogs LOVES his crate!  He uses it all the time.  When I leave the house I just tell him to "kennel up" and he stays there until I leave.  He then moves to his favorite spot, the couch   -  Being past the puppy stages, closing the door is no longer necessary...

Great idea, not quite as much fun as watching them get use to a shock collar :ph34r:  but probably the best idea in the long run.  

• Like 2

Begin crate training.  That will become his "safe spot".  Introduce it slowly, encouraging him to use it.  Cover the crate with a blanket or something, leaving only the door so he can see out.  Play soft music while you are away so he can not hear any out of door happenings.    This will take several weeks to become successful.  Contact some local trainers for more input.    One of my dogs LOVES his crate!  He uses it all the time.  When I leave the house I just tell him to "kennel up" and he stays there until I leave.  He then moves to his favorite spot, the couch   -  Being past the puppy stages, closing the door is no longer necessary...

Great idea, not quite as much fun as watching them get use to a shock collar :ph34r:  but probably the best idea in the long run.  

Just don't leave the shock collar on during a thunderstorm... that is beyond cruel!  

• Like 1

Begin crate training.  That will become his "safe spot".  Introduce it slowly, encouraging him to use it.  Cover the crate with a blanket or something, leaving only the door so he can see out.  Play soft music while you are away so he can not hear any out of door happenings. 

This will take several weeks to become successful.  Contact some local trainers for more input. 

One of my dogs LOVES his crate!  He uses it all the time.  When I leave the house I just tell him to "kennel up" and he stays there until I leave.  He then moves to his favorite spot, the couch :)  -  Being past the puppy stages, closing the door is no longer necessary...

attachicon.gifcrate (Small).jpg

Crating is a crucial early training tool. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

edit: neuter your dog

He's been crated off and on since he was air transported to us in January (3.5 hour flight). He also flew with us in a crate to Ottawa and back in late February in the cabin of the plane (never missed a beat). He's been perfectly fine in the crate for hours in the car on the way here and here with the AC on.

I suspect he is still wondering how he left the land of ice and snow for the SW desert.

We have dinner out plans for tonight so we will give it another go.

As he French in origin I intend to get him into his crate when I say 'Kooler' with a German accent.  :)

• Like 1

Watch out for loud noises and collars (shock or spray). You can mimic noise setting it off when you don't intend to. I barked when my dog was wearing the collar and he got sprayed. Sensitivity setting for sure.

Both were vetoed by the woman he travels with. The TV delivery guy told us that his brother tried the spritz collar but tossed as it caused his dog to sneeze every time and the sneezing would also set it off causing more sneezing/setting off.

We are just back from leaving him crated for 3 hours. No one die no notes from angry neighbors yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, dogs love crates.  You need something just big enough to comfortably turn around in.

Well this one proved tonight that he clearly doesn't. Scratched his way out of both the front and the side (large holes). We'd only been gone for less than 2 hours. AC on 72 degrees F for white noise, plus the radio on softly.

Back to the drawing board.

How about a soft, stuffed "friend" in the crate. Something to spend some quality time with if you know what I mean!

What part of the valley you in?

He's got a stuffed lamb that flew with him from Ottawa to Calgary. It was 4 times his size then and contained the scent from his mother and litter mates. He's been ravaging it for weeks now.  B)

Our one dog use to be a problem.  We would leave and come back an not respond to the dog.  This broke him of the crying and barking.  The family threw away his shock collar that I brought, what's up with that.

Derrick, that is our MO as well and the shock collar here was also a non-starter.

Strangely, he came 2,000 miles in the car down here, over 4 days and never made a single peep between gas fill ups.

Maybe he deserves a pet cat?  :)

This one he can't break out of.

Crate training a puppy and crate training a grown dog with separation anxiety are 2 different things.  I'd suggest reading as much as possible on the two subjects so you don't risk making him worse.

• Like 1

Cesar Milan says: https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavior/problem-behaviors/anxiety/separation-anxiety

By the way, Dog Whisperer is on Netflix now.

Thanks for the link. We had our first Bichon when he had his show on Nat Geo several years back. The previous dog did not have any such issues when left alone. Separation Angst is a very common problem with this breed as they want to go everywhere you do.

They identify very closely with their 'people pack' and I'm in it. :)

• Like 1