Big Time Separation Angst

Wolfbane

We are down in AZ with the Bichon pup. Even with air conditioning he hates the heat here and so far it's only hit a max of 97 degrees F (on just one day).

Battling a couple of issues; one with the wife who wants to convert him from a rooster to a hen and two we have been absolutely unable to leave him at our condo to go out for meals, shop, etc.. Specifically, he may be 7 lbs nothing in weight but he screams like 500lb raped ape when we try to leave him alone. He seems quite aware that he's not home.

I believe I can keep the wife away from his 'wedding tackle' but have not so far come up with a solution to his screeching that will be acceptable to the neighbors.

My dog does the same thing here in AZ. I don't have neighbors that can hear him. I think the dog will stop after a bit once he figures out no one is there.

With today's attempt we're at 40 minutes of non-stop yelping so far. Clearly loud from outside our residence.

I've been bringing home lots of takeout. We either solve this soon or find a reliable dog sitter.

Speaking as a fellow male, I am with the pup when it comes to castration anxiety.  The dam'd vasectomy was bad enough!  :blink:

Tell your wife to back off!  You might be next. 

Been sleeping with one eye open since the birth of daughter number 2. Thank God I'm the better cook.  ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
With today's attempt we're at 40 minutes of non-stop yelping so far. Clearly loud from outside our residence.

Two words, bark collar.

When they bark it shocks them a little but not enough to hurt them, it worked great for my daughters dog.

• Like 2

I was so freaked out by his sex change operation I forgot about the original problem!

I'm not an expert but I have heard sometimes dogs are comforted by having some auditory feedback.  You might try leaving the TV on since it is all talking.

Two words, bark collar.

When they bark it shocks them a little but not enough to hurt them, it worked great for my daughters dog.

Works on daughters too.

• Like 1

Two words, bark collar.

Suggested that one a couple of days ago. Wife responded with just one word comprised of two letters. The citrus spritz collar was also vetoed.

Right now she and the dog are actually face-timing with number 2 daughter.

Two words, bark collar.

Works on daughters too.

Keep that in mind to mull over when they are picking your old folks home in a few years.   :)

• Moderators

Two words, bark collar.

Works on daughters too.

I wish I would have known that years ago.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Two words, bark collar.

Suggested that one a couple of days ago. Wife responded with just one word comprised of two letters. The citrus spritz collar was also vetoed.

Right now she and the dog are actually face-timing with number 2 daughter.

Oh it's one of those kinds of dogs, i didn't know, probably why he barks so much when he is alone, spoiled beyond repair. Well in that case extra strength shock collar.  :ph34r:

Just kidding, but if discipline was good enough for the kids......... :unsure:   

Begin crate training.  That will become his "safe spot".  Introduce it slowly, encouraging him to use it.  Cover the crate with a blanket or something, leaving only the door so he can see out.  Play soft music while you are away so he can not hear any out of door happenings. 

This will take several weeks to become successful.  Contact some local trainers for more input. 

One of my dogs LOVES his crate!  He uses it all the time.  When I leave the house I just tell him to "kennel up" and he stays there until I leave.  He then moves to his favorite spot, the couch :)  -  Being past the puppy stages, closing the door is no longer necessary...

post-36834-0-93180000-1460544190_thumb.j

Crating is a crucial early training tool. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

edit: neuter your dog

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 2