Apt Holman Pre - Good?

bracurrie

It is a VERY bitchin preamp. Ahead of its time in most respects, and has a fantastic phono section. Will need recapped to be at its best, and the original opamps can be upgraded. I would stick with the original parts here, but get the low noise version that is available now. Great preamp!

Most common issue with them is the power switch flaking out, but it can be replaced.

Edited by paul79
  • Like 1

A Holman is a good find at $300 I do not think things need replacing until something breaks. Without connecting anything other than the amp turn every knob through its entire cycle. My equipment is from 1980 except one of my preamps (current is from 1988-89). No hiss but can heat the place. Some very low level hiss should be present when volume is set to zero but by the time you hear sound background hiss better be zero. My preamp has jfets for .00002 distortion...maybe keep an eye out for a Hafler or Carver preamp? If you become dissatisfied with Thomas Holman? Wow Teac! I am with paul79 on replacement parts but only if you are not satisfied with how Holman currently reproduces. My stuff is old but I will probably go back to taking the top off my furnacemaybe sticking the one amp next to the air conditioning duct. NOT! But I will be running with no lid any reduction in heat is good.

• Like 1