Stanley Cup

Rivervalleymgb

"Fans of the Nashville Predators have modified the octopus-throwing tradition of Detroit Red Wings fans to show their support: on occasion, a fan will throw a catfish onto the ice. The Tennessean newspaper in Nashville cites the first instance of this on October 30, 2003.[42] At least four catfish were thrown onto the ice after the first Nashville goal on November 13, 2003." - Wikipaedia

• 3 weeks later...

"Fans of the Nashville Predators have modified the octopus-throwing tradition of Detroit Red Wings fans to show their support: on occasion, a fan will throw a catfish onto the ice. The Tennessean newspaper in Nashville cites the first instance of this on October 30, 2003.[42] At least four catfish were thrown onto the ice after the first Nashville goal on November 13, 2003." - Wikipaedia

In college, our school tradition was to throw oranges at the opposing team after we scored our first goal of the season at home. Students would save oranges from the dining hall for weeks, with some storing them on radiators (to rot), while others would keep them in the freezer...

Second round going strong.  Still no O Canada before the puck drop.  That must really suck for them.

Actually, not at all. Hint: Look at who's actually on the player's roster.

Yeah I think I made the same point earlier.  Still, no anthem.  Hopefully no Celine Dion either.

You would think my Leafs would be great golfers but they probably suck at that too. Hopefully with this year's first overall pick they can get something going. I mean, no big deal right....it has only been 50 years without winning a cup now...

Tim

You would think my Leafs would be great golfers but they probably suck at that too. Hopefully with this year's first overall pick they can get something going. I mean, no big deal right....it has only been 50 years without winning a cup now...

Tim

The owners of the Flames, like the owners of the Leafs, know they can make higher piles of money just by filling their buildings during the regular season and renting it out for concerts during what would/should be playoffs.

Same thinking in Montreal now too. It's been all down hill since Pocklington sold Gretzky off to the highest bidder.  :(

• Like 1

As a Nashvillian and a Preds fan I would like to point out that when the team was awarded the franchise on a provisional basis in 97 it had to sell 12,000 season tickets to make it official. Detroit transplants working in Spring Hill just south of Nashville pushed us over the finish line so Nashville got the team. First several times we played the Wings the arena was half red, but each time the red diminished. We always looked at the Wings as our big brothers in hockey. It was several years later that the first catfish appeared during a Preds Wings game and the tradition was born.

• Like 1

• Moderators

So how is the money in hockey these days? They paid a lot of money to get Howe to play with his sons in Houston on that alternate league team, I don't know if that was the first million dollar contract.

When Gretzky came to LA I remember that was a whole lot of money for a hockey player at the time.

Are the salaries for hockey players any better as compared to baseball, football and basketball?

So how is the money in hockey these days? They paid a lot of money to get Howe to play with his sons in Houston on that alternate league team, I don't know if that was the first million dollar contract.

When Gretzky came to LA I remember that was a whole lot of money for a hockey player at the time.

Are the salaries for hockey players any better as compared to baseball, football and basketball?

I believe the top paid NFL, NBA and MLB players out earn the top NFL players but all top NHL players like Crosby make multi-millions annually.

I thought Gordie Howe left the NHL for Winterpeg, MB?

I believe the top paid NFL, NBA and MLB players out earn the top NFL players but all top NHL players like Crosby make multi-millions annually.

He retired from Red Wings. Hated what he was doing for the Red Wings in retirement and then decided to come back with a chance to play with his son in a startup league that eventually merged with the NHL.

• Moderators

WHL Houston Aeros, he signed a million dollar contract with them in early 70s so he could play with his two sons who were on that team. I believe the most he every made with Detroit was $100,000.

I think the games have been awesome! I record each one so I can watch them all. All the games this week have been must see, at least for Judy and I. Being from Michigan, she is a Red Wings fan. Her grandson played AAA Hockey with Ian Cole and still drives from Saline to Pittsburg to visit him and watch the games. Her youngest grandson is a AAA goalie for Victory Honda, following in his older brother's footsteps. The older grandson won an NCAA Championship his senior year at Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Had the chance to go on, but decided his knees were bothering him too much already and hung up his skates. Soooo, we are rooting for the Pens this year. He also played Junior hockey with Patrick Kane in Traverse City. Played with a bunch of other NHL players, but I can't remember them all. 

• Like 1