Imaging Problem....

SWL

You need to make sure it is the amp. I would blame the preamp first, due to controls possibly being dirty, and more areas for the signal to get weak.

Simply swap the left right rca's and see if your other channel gets louder.

If I swap left and right interconnects on the amp or the preamp, the weak channel follows. So which is bad....the amp or the preamp? I think I'm confusing myself.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I think you need to be more specific on this. If you swapped the rca cables left/right and the weak channel followed, it's either the cable purr the preamp. If you swapped the speaker cables left/right, then it's the amp or the speaker cables.

Have you tried one speaker, check volume with left channel, then right, is there any difference, then proceed to the other speaker repeat previous test, this should reveal any issues. Is there no likely hood that issue could be loose connection.? Or adjustment toe in, toe out. Distance to listening position,!!

I don't know but you're starting to confuse me :). Are you saying that if you swap the left and right interconnects between the preamp and amp(on one end only) the problem switches speakers from right to left? This is with the gain on the power amp set equally on both channels?

I don't know but you're starting to confuse me :). Are you saying that if you swap the left and right interconnects between the preamp and amp(on one end only) the problem switches speakers from right to left? This is with the gain on the power amp set equally on both channels?

Yes

Right now I have the left and right gains on the amp set the same and have the balance on the pre slid over to the right channel considerably and it sounds right. I tried this a couple weeks ago and it still sounded 'not quite right'

Just to be clear. With the balance in center position the right side is weak, swapping the interconnect between preamp and amp the weak moves to the left side? Then the problem is a) the interconnects, b ) the preamp or c) something further up stream(towards the source).

Edited by babadono

He restored and integrated amp for me and it does the exact opposite it favors the left side but sounds very good when I compensate for it with the balance control

It could be variance in them old controls, but if it is as significant as you say, I think there is an issue. Swapping just the RCA cables means it is the preamp, or possibly the source. Now it is time to swap the left/right RCA's on the source!

Could also be the interconnects themselves causing this. Process of elimination my friend. You can figure this out! Which RCA Cables make the difference, either the pre or the source. Then change the offending cables for another set to see if that fixes it. If not, you have a pre or source issue.

Edited by paul79
  • Like 1

Actually right now with the balance control favoring the right side it is sounding very good. But tomorrow I'll come home and fire up the system it'll sound completely screwed up that's the way this is been going.

All digital up to the DAC. After that I compared different RCAs and my Blue Jeans Cables appear to be fine. Evidently I need to find a new tech.

Looks like the Marantz 3600 has a Mode switch that should help diagnose the problem. For instance Stereo Reverse should do the same thing as swapping the cable. The L + R (mono) mode may be helpful also.

Yep... the stereo reverse switch did exactly the same thing as swapping the cable.

Did you try cycling all the switches to possibly find the offender?? 9 times out of 10 it is a dirty control causing the issue.

Put it on the quieter channel, cycle the switches one by one, see if you can get it to act right. This is old gear, so I wouldn't blame the tech. Stuff happens man. Might take it back to him and see if he can make it right. One has to be a bit understanding running old gear.

• Like 1