Tube Rolling 12AU7/5814 Family Tubes

Wolfbane

My Cary CD Player (303/300) uses two 12AU7 tubes. I rolled a number of tubes from the 12AU7 family in this unit. For a year plus I've been very happy with a matched pair of CBS/Hytron 5814A tubes. For the last few days I've rolled in matched pairs of: 12AU7 (Sylvania Grey Plates), 5814A (Philips and Sylvania), RCA and Sylvania 6189W and 5963 tubes (some JAN). The 5963 tubes were apparently made for early computers.

Surprisingly, the 5963 are great sounding tubes and built for long life and heavy use. The 6189W tubes also sound great so far.

Well worth consideration and a listen to if you currently use 12AU7 Family tubes.  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:

I have a set of Philips Holland SQ gold pins in my Cary Preamp and they sould quite good as well.

Earl,

Is the Cary the equipment you wanted the 5814A tubes for?

Yes, I was rolling tubes in the preamp a Cary 2002. It sounds nice with a tube amp. I am running it with Quicksilver mid monos and Forte's.

Edited by eth2

I have really liked the Brimar 12BH7 in place of a 12AU7 in just about every application I have tried. Just my .02.

12BH7 is a good sounding tube but they are taller than most tubes in the 12AU7 family so you need to have the room.

My fav. 12au7's are the CV4003 Mullard Box Plates, CBS 7318's, CONN (Sylvania) 12AU7 with the very long plates, CSF 6189WA, and about any 12BH7 if you can use them. The 7318 is the "king" for me and my system

I have really liked the Brimar 12BH7 in place of a 12AU7 in just about every application I have tried. Just my .02.

Keep in mind that the 12BH7 filament draws twice the current of a 12AU7.  Switching to the former may cause you to exceed the current rating of the power transformer's filament winding.  I'd check with the manufacturer before making such a change.

Maynard

• Like 1

Good point Maynard.  I've got a large batch of these lying around somewhere, but I've always been reluctant to use them  for that very same reason.  Tube rolling is fun and rewarding, but a bit of caution is very much in order.

Keep in mind that the 12BH7 filament draws twice the current of a 12AU7.  Switching to the former may cause you to exceed the current rating of the power transformer's filament winding.  I'd check with the manufacturer before making such a change.

Maynard

always best to check a receiving tube manual or online for test values if you cannot get a hold of the manufacter of your tube equipment. Generally anything requiring less current is safe.