Weird Survival Methods - Strange Jobs

cluless

Hey, Cluless, it looks like you get a break after all. All the Guiness you may have enjoyed lately is made in Canada, not Ireland. Also, all the Fosters you may have enjoyed is also made in Canada. Hmmm, at this rate, the clu cats will have maple leaves in their kitty litter. Cheers! -HornED

Yeah, JM... and even those Harleys had a tough time... even to the point of being Japanese owned for a time as I recall. But, all is well and they are again the All-American two-wheel legend they deserve to be.

As for the Guinness, DrPyro, for health reasons, I had to lay of the Guinness for a bit... and the next Guinness I downed just didn't taste the same as I remembered. That's when I looked at the container and found the U.S. supply comes from our Good Neighbor to the North. I think the profit margin boost that Fosters found by brewing the Australian Classic with Down Under Hops and Far North Water and such will make Canada the new brew site for a lot of Commonwealth Suds. And that's good to boost Canadian revenue so those canny Canucks can buy more Klipsch products. cwm4.gif

cwm40.gif I just thought of another teenage brewery event. I had taken my car to the garage for repair and rode the "jitney" (old limousines used to be licensed to provide public transportation on Mission Street in San Francisco, and only cost twenty-five cents to ride) to go to work at the brewery.

This time I was working "the light"... a device by which each bottle could be examined for foreign objects as it whizzed by on a conveyor belt to the filler. My job was to pull and destroy contaminated or cracked bottles... not one of the world's best jobs... but very good pay for a teenager those days.

My fellow workers on the line were two middle aged Irishman that liked to sip on "boilermakers" during their shift. They would pull a freshly filled bottle of beer, take a big swig, and then make up the shortage in whiskey... and sip upon it for an extended time. And from time-to-time, they slipped me one as well. (Rules were you were only allowed to drink beer on break and not on the line.)

Well, one fine day of Irish celebration, Irish whiskey was the whiskey of choice... and the boilermakers flowed like water. Just as the three of us were in a quite jolly state, the filler suddenly went out of phase and began breaking nearly all the bottles entering the filler... and spewing a lethal looking spray of broken glass... completing isolating the control panel. Bravely, the filler operator covered his eyes and tried to throw the switch... but the boilermakers had robbed him of any steadiness he may have had.

There were steam whistles available to the filler operator that were used to summon help... usually related to keeping a steady flow of bottles and such. Well, the filler operator was also creating a cacophony of steam whistle sounds to attract some help. The noise brought all of the executives in their suits and the secretaries in their frilly frocks out on a balcony to view the bedlam.

The filler machine is designed to hold back beer when there is not a bottle in a filler slot. Well, so much beer had been held back that the pressure in the beer line exceeded the strength of one of the pipe joints... Suddenly, everyone was soaked to the skin... secretaries, execs, and we three bottlers, still smiling and trying to turn the machine off.

By the end of the shift, the beer had dried on my clothes but I still had the jitney to ride back to the repair facility. On the jitney, I was wedged in-between two buxom matrons who sniffed way and disapprovingly turned there noses up in disapproval of the teenage sot they presumed me to be. It was a good time to be quiet.cwm32.gif -HornED

PS: Despite my rather dubious teenage employment, except for that one beer shower event, I drank very little beer. I was an athlete in those days... and drinking beer to excess was no way to win any kind of scholarship. To those underage, I do not advocate alcohol as a benefit to still growing folks... or alcohol to excess for any folks. But, my brewery paychecks did make it possible to become a teenage used Klipschorn owner in the days before stereo.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 09-05-2002 at 02:18 PM

I've had a variety of strange jobs.

There's a couple that come to mind.

For about 5 years, I was a repair tech for a chain of laundrymat/drycleaners.

Mastered the art of "jerry riggin"

and met quite a few "interesting" people.

Had alot of good times there. Smile.gif

I tended a graveyard for a couple years.

Did everything from plotting grave sites, digging the holes, setting the vaults to lowering the caskets, filling in the holes and cremations.

When there were no services, I was in charge of gravemarker maintainence.

Raising and leveling old headstones and setting new ones. And believe me, granite is heavy.

The work was difficult, but very rewarding.

I've been doing service/repair work for a long time and the cemetary was the only place I felt I was doing something meaningful.

Now-a-days,

I'm adminisrating my fathers' estate.

I've learned more than I could have ever possibly imagined.

It's terribly complex work, but i'm doing it in the name of my father.

The Michigan Probate Law text reads like stereo instructions.

Fortunately, I speak stereo, so no problem there.

I'm not sure what's next.

Vacation, most likely.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

Audioreality said:

Now-a-days,

I'm adminisrating my fathers' estate.

I've learned more than I could have ever possibly imagined.

It's terribly complex work, but i'm doing it in the name of my father.

The Michigan Probate Law text reads like stereo instructions.

Fortunately, I speak stereo, so no problem there.

This is something I am not looking forward to doing in my case. With the huge amount of investments and property and such that my parents own, it is going to be a friggan nightmare to sort it all out not to mention it'll have to be divided up among myself and my three brothers (thank god my mother keeps good records). I have a feeling that when the inevitable time comes, it'll initally fall to me since I only live 80 miles away from my parents (believe me, I'll be asking alot of help from my brothers). Fortunatly, my parents are currently in great health, so this should not be an issue for many years to come. However, anything can happen and the inevitable will. Just hoping not for many, many years.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)