Distorting K-55-M on Khorn with Eliptrac

I've got midrange distortion/buzzing/breakup on one Khorn and not the other.  It's especially noticeable on certain tracks/instruments.

The diagnostic tracks I've been using are:

Bill Douglas' Earth Prayer from The Absolute Sound Hearts of Space collection - the clarinet is highly distorted on many of its notes.

Pat Metheny's This Belongs To You from The Unity Sessions - Metheny's opening guitar playing is very distorted on some notes.

I've pinned it down to the driver by connecting in different ways so I know it's not the driver/adapter/horn combo, not the crossover (ALK universal), and not the amp.  As a final check I swapped the K-55-M driver from the other Khorn to the troublesome one and the distortion went away.

As I see it my options are to:

1. repair defective driver
  2. replace defective driver
  3. replace both midrange drivers with known good K-55-Ms on the assumption that if one has gone bad the other may be going too
  4. replace both midrange drivers with upgrades such as TAD assuming that the Eliptracs and ALK universals can accept this

Note: I don't want to go to active crossovers at this time.

Please advise.

Wow, you folks are fantastic!  15 minutes and I've got knowledgeable experienced replies.  What a forum.

The driver distorts unattached to horn/adapter/rubber washer so i don't think it involves them at all.

The back cover doesn't appear loose in any way.

Thanks  :)

The back cover doesn't appear loose in any way.

Put your hand on it while it's making the noise and see if you can make it stop by applying light pressure.

No difference.  Light pressure with a pencil on the bug screen also makes no difference.

post-41832-0-35480000-1464208355_thumb.jpost-41832-0-57960000-1464208390_thumb.j

thanks, that's an interesting read especially the part about the driver being a "pneumatic device".  I have it opened up and don't see anything clearly wrong around the diaphragm part or the magnet part.  The gasket that joins the two is certainly a hard plastic not soft or compressible at all.  Is this the "driver o-ring" referred to in post #12 of the other thread?

FWIW these are 1990 Khorns.

None of the screws holding it together were loose.

Edited by Delicious2

I believe the o-ring they referred to is used where it seals to the horn.  Was there a seal or o-ring there when you took it apart?  Does the other driver have one there?  Has the driver just started doing this or are the speakers new to you?

I'm not seeing much wrong there.  Be sure you clean the gap where the coil goes.  You can use the sticky part of a posted note folded over.

I believe the o-ring they referred to is used where it seals to the horn.  Was there a seal or o-ring there when you took it apart?  Does the other driver have one there?  Has the driver just started doing this or are the speakers new to you?

I'm not seeing much wrong there.  Be sure you clean the gap where the coil goes.  You can use the sticky part of a posted note folded over.

I've had these for several years and I just noticed this one distorting recently.  There is a hard rubber o-ring where the driver threads to the adapter/horn.  The other Khorn has that also.  As noted in the other thread these o-rings partially block/narrow the opening.  Is it beneficial to replace these with o-rings with a larger inner diameter that doesn't narrow the opening?

Thanks for the tip about cleaning the gap.

I've had these for several years and I just noticed this one distorting recently.  There is a hard rubber o-ring where the driver threads to the adapter/horn.  The other Khorn has that also.  As noted in the other thread these o-rings partially block/narrow the opening.  Is it beneficial to replace these with o-rings with a larger inner diameter that doesn't narrow the opening?

Thanks for the tip about cleaning the gap.

You can get the gaskets with the correct ID hole that wont obstruct the output from Bob Crites.

Happy news and a puzzle.  Thought I'd put the driver back together and hook it up.  Off the horn/adapter lack of distortion was encouraging.  Fully reassembled this Khorn sounds as good as the other one!  I think you're right Carl that the gasket wasn't sealing properly.  Perhaps just reseating it and carefully torquing in a star pattern got the seal back - at least for now.

As to the hypothesis that this happened because the gasket got old and hard it's interesting that Bob Crites has no problem recommending the reuse of an old gasket when replacing the K-55-M diaphram:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/rebuilding_a_k-77m.html

Are these gaskets available anywhere if needed?

And what about my TAD question?  Could I upgrade to those TD-4002s as a step on the way to eventual k402s?

Happy news and a puzzle.  Thought I'd put the driver back together and hook it up.  Off the horn/adapter lack of distortion was encouraging.  Fully reassembled this Khorn sounds as good as the other one!  I think you're right Carl that the gasket wasn't sealing properly.  Perhaps just reseating it and carefully torquing in a star pattern got the seal back - at least for now.

Any decent hardware store that sells gaskets for garden hoses...

Any decent hardware store that sells gaskets for garden hoses...

I don't think it was the o-ring shaped washer-like rubbery gasket between the driver mouth and the adapter/horn that was causing the issue.  I think it was the hard plastic gasket shown in the photo surrounding the diaphram.  Does anyone sell those?  It'd be interesting to compare a "new" one to these 25 year old ones.

You can't go TAD with that network, you would need to go Extreme Slope.

There is no diaphragm replacement for the K-55-M.

If you can afford them, a pair of BMS 4592-mid drivers would be killer with that horn.