Stanley Cup

jimjimbo

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things I like about Stanley Cup playoffs hockey is the reduced fighting. IMO, hockey fights are what keeps NHL hockey a peg below other "major league" sports. In no other major professional sport do the officials allow the participants to go at for a bit before they break it up.

It cheapens the game. The fights are more theater than reality. If someone really lands a blow that inflicts damage, then punishment and apologies take place. If one adult male is not really trying to injure another, then he shouldn't punch him. If he is genuinely trying to injure the other, then it is a criminal assault.

My sons vehemently disagree. Excellent hockey exists internationally and at the collegiate level without the WWE phony fights.

When the NHL realizes it's not a cockfight on skates, it will become the fourth major league sport.

Edited by DizRotus

I disagree with you. The staged fights should be out of the game but the spontaneous fights are momentum turners. I am sure you are a Wings fan based on where you are DizRotus, and if I were a Wings fan I may feel that way as well. The Wings no longer carry any toughness and I am sure it is tough to watch them go into the tough buildings and get slapped around. I will take the likes of Probert and Kocur any day on my team instead of the cheap shot team they ice nowadays.

The International hockey is not really a fair comparison, when watching any International games they are usually all star teams set up by each nation. You are not going to ice those kind of teams in a league. Of course they are exciting, they are the best of the best. Take a long look at the college hockey and you will see a ton of high sticks, slashes and cheap shots. Once they get to the NHL if so lucky, they learn in a hurry to keep the sticks down and learn to play without these cheap shots or else they get the snot beat out of them. I would much rather the players themselves police the game that dictated by a referee. I grew up in Canada and I can tell you in no way does any other sport match the excitement levels of NHL hockey. Just because Americans prefer baseball and football does not make them better sports.

Tim

• Like 1

I'm not opposed to hard physical play. Yes, the Wings could benefit from clean, legal aggressive play, even if it leads to a deserved penalty. The playoffs and Stanley Cup finals have plenty of that. What disappears are the silly selfish penalties that hurt the team.

At a time when sports are finally addressing concussions, the NHL seems incapable of weaning itself from punches to the head that have all the authenticity of a thrown folding chair at a WWE match.