RS 62 - II placement in this room?

Nitemare

Hey guys,

just want to get some suggestions from you where i should put my RS-62 II speakers in this room:

Room2

As you can see on the picture the room is not a perfect square. It is a living room combined with our dining room.

Do you think the RS-62 II would fit better directly behind the listening position against the backwall (grey boxes on the picture) or mounted to the side of the room (orange boxes). I am a bit concerned when mounting them to the side that because of the different distance to the listening position (and to the front speakers) the sound would be bad? I really don't know because i am new into 5.1 home theater :).

Unfortunately i cannot try the different position because i don't have high enough stands to put them this high on the positions or any other means :(

The speakers look very well positioned for excellent listening with a wide sound stage.  This is personal preference, but I like my speakers fairly close to the TV in the center.

If you have to have your speakers low, can you angle them up towards your ears?  That might give you a little more intense or bright sound.  I like mine that way for jazz listening with a big horn sound.

We had a similar conversation in another thread about this same room. I wouldn't mount them on the side walls unless you can make the room symmetrical, which you previously said you couldn't due to a massive entertainment center.

Plenty of people put them on the back wall like that but it's still a compromise. Most likely you'll lose some panning effects, won't be as seamless as it could. Also as mentioned before, I had almost the same exact angles/layout/speakers in my room and it did some weird stuff.

You had a good opportunity to have some direct firing speakers on stands to the sides which would have worked out well. I would have went that route.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have have used RS behind and to the side.  The side positioning spot is best but, I also enjoyed them behind the MLP.  Consider wall mounting the speakers.  I don't like any horn speakers aimed at my ears.  The RS speakers are well designed and have a large sound stage.

The problem with these angles with these speakers being behind you is that if you're sitting off to the side, you're in direct firing line of a horn on the opposite side, while the ones directly behind you and above you are pointed everywhere but at your head. When both speakers fire, it can sound like the opposite side is much stronger than the one behind you when there are strong effects that go beyond simple ambiance.

That being said, they work great on the sides. If you had enough room behind you they'd probably work fine there as well.

The problem with these angles with these speakers being behind you is that if you're sitting off to the side, you're in direct firing line of a horn on the opposite side, while the ones directly behind you and above you are pointed everywhere but at your head. When both speakers fire, it can sound like the opposite side is much stronger than the one behind you when there are strong effects that go beyond simple ambiance.

That being said, they work great on the sides. If you had enough room behind you they'd probably work fine there as well.

Well, thanks! I guess i have to go with it and just mount them behind me and see how it works out. If it sounds very bad i can still sell them, right? ;)

You had a good opportunity to have some direct firing speakers on stands to the sides which would have worked out well. I would have went that route

unluckily i couldn't fit direct firing ones next to the listening position because the couch is completly in the corner of the room and there is no more room next to it. My better half would have killed me :)

Edited by Nitemare

The speakers look very well positioned for excellent listening with a wide sound stage.  This is personal preference, but I like my speakers fairly close to the TV in the center.

If you have to have your speakers low, can you angle them up towards your ears?  That might give you a little more intense or bright sound.  I like mine that way for jazz listening with a big horn sound.

I angled the center upwards. The floor stands are not angled because they are at ear height. I think angling the RS-62 doesn't make sense? Or did i get you wrong?

unluckily i couldn't fit direct firing ones next to the listening position because the couch is completly in the corner of the room and there is no more room next to it.

The other thing working against you with the back wall situation is that you're going to get strong reflections off that side wall from the outside horn, while the other speaker's opposite side is firing off into no-mans land. Could still sound lopsided regardless of the previously mentioned angles of the inside horns.

unluckily i couldn't fit direct firing ones next to the listening position because the couch is completly in the corner of the room and there is no more room next to it.

The other thing working against you with the back wall situation is that you're going to get strong reflections off that side wall from the outside horn, while the other speaker's opposite side is firing off into no-mans land. Could still sound lopsided regardless of the previously mentioned angles of the inside horns.

so what should i do? just sell them and don't even try it? Hmmm..

The problem is the massive entertainment center you bought that is apparently longer than 15', not the speakers. Without it, you could do this, which of course is not to scale but you get the idea. The heavens would align and the home theater gods would smile.  You could also use the original layout by keeping the screen on the long wall on the right, but make the room symmetrical.  Short of this, we're just picking the lesser of a few evils.  

room%202_zpsj3r1ydjw.png

The problem is the massive entertainment center you bought that is apparently longer than 15', not the speakers. Without it, you could do this, which of course is not to scale but you get the idea. The heavens would align and the home theater gods would smile.  Short of this, we're just picking the lesser of a few evils.  

room%202_zpsj3r1ydjw.png

No it wouldn't been possible because at the bottom there is a door that i forgot to draw ;)

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the big concern is with these.

They can be mounted, one on the right wall, one on the left wall, a foot or two forward from the back wall.  

The one on the left is further from the center, so the level correction would come into play and make it louder so that it balances.

Another option is buy 1 stand, and mount the left surround on the stand, above ear level, matching the height of the one mounted on the right wall.

For maximum flexibility and options, buy 2 stands, and mount them both even if you still end up with the one on the right next to the wall.

With 2 stands, you can try all kinds of positions to make it work.

Since everything is kind of a compromise at this point, why not just hook them up temporarily and see which way you like it?  Just set them on an end table or something, raise them up with books or whatever.  Resort to putting them on a step ladder if you need to, just make sure they're not going anywhere.  Watch a few minutes of an action movie with known strong surround material, then switch positions and listen to the same scene, adjust the distance and levels on the AVR if necessary.  I've done this quite a bit with towers, there's some noticeable changes based on the position and angle.  You're going to have to buy wire anyway so you might as well just play around with it, you're not wasting anything.