The time someone gave me a pair of KG 5.2s

Since there doesn't seem to be a lot on the internet about the Klipsch KG 5.2, why not a thread?

I'd mentioned in passing to a client that I prefer Klipsch speakers for home listening. He then said that he not only had a pair, but that they'd never been used.

It turns out that he's moving, and he'd rather give them to someone than keep hanging onto them. In all fairness, I did mention prior that older Klipsch pairs are often worth a buck; he didn't know the model, but he knew they were about twenty years old. Needless to say, when he said he would give them to me, I said I'd have no problem hanging onto them.

I spent some time excitedly going through the Klipsch catalog from twenty-ish years ago. Things were either looking pretty good or a bit rough; the early nineties could mean the KG, Epic, KLF, or Cornwalls, based on how big he said they were. The late nineties/early 2000s, on the other hand, could have meant the early Synergy towers. (Never heard them, but based on how my F-20s were, I don't think I'd like the early Synergy towers)

post-61185-0-04680000-1466139300_thumb.j

post-61185-0-91200000-1466139315_thumb.j

As pictured, they're only set up like that to test them out. Everything works! If they've really never been used like he said, they'll be in need of some break-in. Even still, I'm surprised by how much bass they can make. I'd never liked how these looked in pictures, but they're actually quite visually pleasing in person. These have a visual growl that'll tell your friends, "Yes, they go loud." Why did wide tower speakers go out of style? 

You'll notice the top of the left speaker has been chewed up just a bit. It also has a scuffed corner now, due to an unloading error. How easily can cosmetic blemishes be repaired?

• Like 3

Congratulations.

For decades my only experience with Klipsch was with Klipschorns, Cornwalls, La Scalas and Heresy. If it wasn't plywood with a tweeter from 600 Cecil St., Buchanan, MI, I wasn't interested. Then, through this forum, I was exposed to some of the more recent Klipsch offerings by the HT setups of local members. I was very impressed.

Heck, the vast majority of my music listening is at the computer using Promedia 2.1. I'm continually amazed at how fantastic those small cheap plastic Chinese speakers sound near field. Klipsch knows what it's doing.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

The Promedia 2.1s were my first Klipsch experience, as a matter of fact. They weren't even mine, a friend got them as a gift when we were both in middle school. I'd never heard sound like it before, and made it a point to listen to a fair amount of music when I went to his house just to hear them.

I never got a pair of Promedias, but I have enough Klipsch floorstanders now, so it worked out. The Promedias might not stick out in the lineup to most audiophiles, but they really did their job to introduce the brand to an audio novice. (And they still sound great; I can't think of anything that sounds half as good for $150)

Edited by chriswhotakesphotos
  • Like 2

"You'll notice the top of the left speaker has been chewed up just a bit. It also has a scuffed corner now, due to an unloading error. How easily can cosmetic blemishes be repaired?"  

RE scuffed corner - On my KPT bass bottoms a black Sharpie worked awesome.

And I had a few deeep scratches.

Try on bottom or somewhere first.

RE - Top of speaker - I dunno, but I would gently clean both speaker tops with a warm wet rag.

See if better when completely dry.

If not better, then wipe with Mineral Spirits - NOTHING stronger.

That's what I would do,  You decide on your own.

And whatever you do, of course,  test on bottom or back first.

I go put my fire suit on now.   Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie

The Promedia 2.1s were my first Klipsch experience, as a matter of fact. They weren't even mine, a friend got them as a gift when we were both in middle school. I'd never heard sound like it before, and made it a point to listen to a fair amount of music when I went to his house just to hear them.

I never got a pair of Promedias, but I have enough Klipsch floorstanders now, so it worked out. The Promedias might not stick out in the lineup to most audiophiles, but they really did their job to introduce the brand to an audio novice. (And they still sound great; I can't think of anything that sounds half as good for $150)

ProMedias were also my first. I heard a demo at Best Buy and immediately ponied up for a set. I quickly realized that they sounded so good and clean because they were horn-loaded, albeit with tiny little horns. Started my journey right there and now I've probably owned 35 different klipsch models.

Thanks for all the feedback! It's good to know what to expect and what to listen for on the way in. I just got done redecorating where I listen (moved the speakers from the short wall to the long wall on recommendation from Mr. Paul) and once I have a chance during the week, I'm gonna swap the KGs in. I just got done spending a week with my new-to-me Heresies and I want to post a non-scientific comparison to the RP-280F pretty soon, but now that I've come into another pair I'll make it a three-way. I'm curious about how that large horn will sound compared to the H2's two!