Comparing Ashly crossover models

I am currently using a minidsp.  I have been saving for either an Ashly Protea 3.24 or 3.6.  I have recently stumbled upon a 4.24c, which appears to have more channels than I need.   One thing I noticed is that it doesn't have usb setup, but I believe it is still a digital unit.  Does anyone see the upside or down fall to using this model vs the 3.24 or 3.6?  I am mainly looking for something with 3 channel in and 6 channels out.   I assume this is similar to the 3.24 but with one more input.  I don't think I would ever need the other channel, so this would be more of a cost saving factor.  

I have the 3.6 and 4.8 models.  They have served me well.  I believe the only difference from the .24 models is the USB and some preset compatibility with the Protea Software suite which I seldom use.  There may be more to it.  Not totally sure.

However, the reason I have both units is because I ran out of I/O and required a second processor.  Just remember this.  Get more I/O than you think you'll need because things come along and then you can't do it if you don't have the I/O.

• Like 1

There was a 4.24c i missed out on. I will continue to watch for a 3.24 or 3.6. I have seen used 3.6s go for $450. Good to know most models can be trusted.

Its definitely next on my list. I just need to wait to hear how much its going to cost to fix my MC2505

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by The Dude

I was using my Xilica, but now I am using MiniDSPs DDRC-88M. I went this route because it was a $99 upgrade to my 88A, and will allow 8 channels of inputs/outputs. Now i have my front 3 channels, and subs on the first 88M, and my Atmos/Surrounds on a 2nd 88M. I picked up the first box for $1k, and the 2nd box for $650. Now I have Dirac for all my channels once again. IMO Dirac is much better than Audyssey was in my setup. I hear zero differences between the Xilica, and the 88M, plus the 88M is much easier to config once you set it up.

I have the 3.6 and 4.8 models

I was looking at your sale on the Behringer unit and wondered how it compares to the quality of the Ashly units and would it be an upgrade to the minidsp.  I would have asked you in your sale thread, but I didn't want to clog that up. 

The Behringer will not sound as good as the Ashlys.  We are talking a $300 vs. $1200 crossover.  I never heard or played with a mini DSP or a Xilica for that matter.  I have heard the Xilica are very good from others.  Tom Danley uses them.

• Like 1

The Behringer will not sound as good as the Ashlys.  We are talking a $300 vs. $1200 crossover.  I never heard or played with a mini DSP or a Xilica for that matter.  I have heard the Xilica are very good from others.  Tom Danley uses them.

Thanks for your honesty, I will continue to save for the Ashly