old school speaker measuring methods?

Paducah Home Theater

I should know this, but it just occurred to me that prior to the explosion of the popularity of PC's, it might be a little harder to get decent test equipment for measuring speakers.  So what did they use back in the day?  In the recent enough past, some nice spectrum analyzers were readily available even if computers weren't mature yet, but those were't available until like the late 60's.  What about like the 30's, 40's, and 50's?  How did Paul test the Klipschorn in 1946?  

You can determine things like Fs, or the low end roll-off of a vented cabinet, (F3?) with a AC voltmeter (like a VTVM or some such) and a signal generator using sine waves. I have the procedure written down somewhere but can't find it at the moment...

It's the cheap way to go about it. A guy can watch the needle on the AC voltmeter and plot a graph to find the two peaks and the null between the two peaks to determine the F3 of a vented cabinet. Most generally there will be two peaks but not always. I guess it depends on the alignment, driver parameters, etc.

This may not even relate to the question you are asking...

This may not even relate to the question you are asking...

Mostly wondering about crossovers.  I assume he didn't design them by ear.  Nowadays you'd look at the graph of the frequency response and whatnot.  Not sure how you'd figure this out 70 years ago.  

I have it down somewhere for measuring woofers. Still have all the old equipment to do it. I always made custom frames to suspend speakers in air to do measurements. Much easier with modern software! 

Now that is seriously cool!  Dedicated audio nut for sure!