Never turn the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system off! Just leave it on 24/7.

9 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

I have had mine for about 6 or 7-years and the switch is on the Back? So I assume the sets that have the power switch on the control pod use red as stand by and green for on.

For that matter mine have only been turned off 5 or 6 times so far.

I think the Main Volume knob turns the power off when turned all the way to the left, whereas yours and mine just turns the volume all the way down.

So yeah, we have the original model while I think he has the current one.

• 3 weeks later...

i got the old promedia 2.1 and yeah the sub is shite...anyway the manual states,

Periods of non-use. The device should be unplugged from the wall outlet when it is not in use for extended periods.

Lol whats klipsch definition of extended periods.

13 hours ago, jas said:

i got the old promedia 2.1 and yeah the sub is shite...anyway the manual states,

Periods of non-use. The device should be unplugged from the wall outlet when it is not in use for extended periods.

Lol whats klipsch definition of extended periods.

Phrases like "extended periods" for products like speaker systems always means like, "weeks". Y'know? Like, when you're going on a long vacation or if you know you won't be using the speaker system for an extended amount of time - like weeks or months.

I wouldn't call 1 week "extended". 2 weeks, maybe. 3, definitely. 4 weeks or more, absolutely.

However, this has nothing to do with the reasons why the PM 2.1 system should be left on 24/7. I think what they SHOULD mention is, it would be safer to leave it plugged in for extended periods of non-use if you had it connected to a very good surge suppressor.

I got the old pro-media 2.1 in December of 2004, shipped to me by Amy, et.al., along with another box of Klipsch goodies which arrived the same day (MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!) to the mailing address they asked for at Camp Doha, Kuwait, where I was for the first year in theater, then I lugged them up to Camp Buehring for another year and a half at that location...they still work just fine...and anything that can handle the temperature ranges of Kuwait for two and a half years, NOT TO MENTION the dust storms for that same period of time has to receive some praise!!  I powered them OFF every time I woke up to go to work, after the system was on the entire time after I had gone to bed.....no issues at all...so far...what is the life expectancy of these supposed to be, anyway?  LOL!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the latest ProMedia system and there is no power switch anywhere and even turning the volume all the way down doesn't do it. I ******* hate turning it on or off because every time i do, i get a sudden power surge which always makes me cringe so i'm sure you're just supposed to leave it on. Also, the green light on my control pod never changes color.

Thanks

I also have a set of Logitech Z-2300's and the light on them is at least twice as bright as the Pro-Media's but at least Logitech learned because the light on their next TOTL system, the Z-623 (which i also have), is half as bright. The Z-2300 light is so bright i got a tan from it.

I get the feeling you like Klipsch.

Edited by carewser

• 4 months later...
On 7/27/2016 at 9:32 PM, TwoCables said:

If you have a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system, then never turn it off. It's designed to be on 24/7. So, it's designed to be unboxed, powered on, and left on 24/7. That's why the power switch is in an inconvenient location for turning it on and off every day. Turning it on and off every day is what kills these speaker systems.

I would even go as far as saying this: if you have a speaker system that has an inconvenient way to turn it off, then that likely means you should never turn it off. Are you worried about idle power consumption? Don't. It's not more than a couple of watts.

Not gonna happen, especially when this thing has no Bluetooth switch. No way to disable the Bluetooth means it gets turned off when I'm not using it. Period.

• 2 years later...
On 8/1/2019 at 7:20 AM, Scott hogg said:

Anyway to play old 78's on a Klipsch turntable?  Is their a speed switch somewhere?

I believe the Klipsch TT is/was produced by Pro-Ject, and that mfr lists a 78 rpm pulley kit that can be fitted to some of their TTs, not sure about the Klipsch model.  Here is a link:

ProJect 78

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2016 at 9:32 PM, TwoCables said:

If you have a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system, then never turn it off. It's designed to be on 24/7. So, it's designed to be unboxed, powered on, and left on 24/7. That's why the power switch is in an inconvenient location for turning it on and off every day. Turning it on and off every day is what kills these speaker systems.

I would even go as far as saying this: if you have a speaker system that has an inconvenient way to turn it off, then that likely means you should never turn it off. Are you worried about idle power consumption? Don't. It's not more than a couple of watts.

Evideence? 

I've had one for 16 years, turning it on and off every day, sometimes multiple times, first at work, then on the bedroom TV.  Wallowing in decadence, we watch the PBS news using it for sound, almost every night.

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Just purchased the Pro Media 2.1, on sale at Costco. As with other owners, I was looking for the on/off switch and could not find it. Nothing in the instructions. Viewing all the recommendations,  you should leave the speaker system on. I always like to turn things off when not in use, so I plugged the system into a switched power strip. No problem except I get a disturbing reminder when I power the unit off with the power strip switch, a transient pop out of the speakers...not good. So I leave it on for that reason. There is no popping or snapping noise when I power it up, only when I power it down. This snapping popping happens instantly when i turn the switch off and the pilot light then starts to dim as the filter capacitors in the power supply discharge.

I also got mine from Costco last week but noticed there's a low humming noise coming from the subwoofer box when the power is ON. And it doesn't matter whether you have volume turn up or down, or if you have speakers connected, or if you connected to an audio source. If you put your ear next to the subwoofer, you will hear it constantly humming.

I know there are multiple versions of Promedia 2.1 out there. Mine is latest version (no power switch, white LED on speaker, control pod has DB-9 connector to subwoofer). Does anyone experiencing this? 

• Like 1

I just received mine yesterday (Costco deal) and there is zero noise coming from the subwoofer. Yours might just be a bad one, mine are super quiet (the whole reason I replaced my almost 20 year old Creative SBS250 speakers). Try connecting to your system to another outlet (on a different circuit preferably) and make sure it's grounded.  See if that resolves the issue. If not, I would exchange it.

Mine do not have a way to turn them off and have an always on bright white light. Turned these on and off a couple of times so far and yes they pop, but I have no reason to turn them off regularly since I usually keep my computer server on 24/7. Still, these don't pop when turning the computer on or off, unlike an older Logitech (or Sound Blaster?) 2.1 system that went out on me over 20 years ago.

I connected these to an Alexa/Google enabled smart plug and there still is a little pop when powering them on, but not nearly as loud or bad as using the surge protector switch. This might be a solution for some.

• 2 weeks later...

Joining the party here after the Costco sale. Looks like I have the same model - white LED on one of the satellites, no off switch.

I'd be fine leaving the things on 24x7, but I hooked up a Kill-a-Watt and noticed that these speakers pull 10-11 watts even when they're not doing anything, when the PC they're connected to is turned off. I seem to recall reading in another thread that the draw should be closer to 1-2 watts.

Do I have a bad unit? Anyone else measured power draw for these things while not actually playing sound? 10 watts isn't too big a deal, but it adds up to real money over time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...