Need good low profile RCA cables/connectors

jimjimbo

I have several vintage amps and preamps (mostly tube units) that have RCA connectors which are very close together, including my Scott LK-150, Scott LC-21, etc.  I would like to find some good quality cables that have low profile connectors on them.  Right now I'm sticking a small piece of wood shim in between them to keep them from touching, which I want to get away from for a number of reasons.   Currently using KnuKonceptz cables which are nice cables, but the connectors are just a shade large.   Looking for recommendations of manufacturers/links.  Thanks!

Carl, I'm sure that others that are far more technical than I will chime in, but all I can say is that when I've found a pair was touching, I had investigated this because I had heard quite a bit of noise and distortion.  Now, this may be a failure of the cables themselves, as to not having the shield properly segregated from the inner conductor, that's quite possible.

10.31mm too large? Switch Craft RCA Connectors (get the long body) are very good, and are typically small enough for vintage gear. Can you solder? Mogami 2549 Mic cable is absolutely wonderful interconnect. It is 2 wire with copper shield, so land the shield at the source end only. This is how I run them, and they sound fantastic!

If the barrels touch, it shouldn't make any difference. It all goes to one place inside.

If you don't solder, get the materials and send them to me. I'll terminate them for you, just pay the shipping!

Edited by paul79

Jim if there is a guitar center close by you might want to stop in and check it out . They usually have a pretty good selection of cables , plus you can pick up that Disco Ball and Strobe Light you've been wanting so badly. :lol:

The outer contact on an RCA jack on a chassis should be tied to the chassis which is also signal ground on unbalanced equipment. Lots of people have strange ideas about the mystery of "ground" and how it should be connected. I do not believe the Scott Corporation had any of these strange ideas. This is conjecture on my part. Get some Deoxit and make sure all those connectors are good and clean.

I second/third/infinity the Mogami (yes, I'm using it too but I use the 4 strand for XLR)

Anyway, you asked about connectors, I used the Neutrik Profi connectors.

They are retractable so the ground touches first and releases last.

Nice contact for me and they're not overly fat

http://www.neutrik.com/en/phono-rca/profi-cable-connectors/

profi-uebersicht.jpg