Kg, klf, etc

dtr20

16 hours ago, hogwylde09 said:

Well, dang. I passed on a great deal then. KLF-30's with Crites upgrades. Because I read here on the forums, that the Cornwall II were the better choice. As far as bass extension and sheer power. Still think I am holding out for Heritage though.

Just my opinion (having owned Cornwall's and KLF 20's)...

As far as "bass extension and power" the KLF's will outperform the Cornwall. Even more so if you have a solid (100+ wpc) amplifier. The dual 10's of the KLF 20 have almost the same area (157 sq/in vs 176 sq/in) of the 15" K33 in the Cornwall and have more excursion capability. The KLF 30's even more so... Though they are not tuned quite as low as the KLF 20's, in exchange for a bit more sensitivity.

That big Tractrix midrange horn in the KLF's is also a step up (compared to the Cornwall) as well.

Mind you, both are great speakers, and much of the difference will come down to personal opinion, room size and placement. And I'll admit, there was just something really nice (like all the Heritage line) about the big Cornwall cabinets in the Walnut Oil finish.

All the other Heritage (LaScala, Belle and Khorn) are a big step up from there. And I wouldn't trade my current LaScala setup for anything... Except for maybe adding a 402 horn on top (JubScala).

• Like 2

Jeez...the more I learn. Decisions, decisions. Now it's CF-4, (which version is best?) and almost impossible to find. KLF-30 also hard to find. And finally Cornwall. The Cornwall a tad easier. I don't want to pay going prices, but who does? Thanks to the members here, it helps me narrow the choices.....You sure know the lineup. It is as if ya'll , yes I'm from the south, know I like my rock and blues cranked! MC75's will make you want to do it!

23 hours ago, hogwylde09 said:

Well, dang. I passed on a great deal then. KLF-30's with Crites upgrades. Because I read here on the forums, that the Cornwall II were the better choice. As far as bass extension and sheer power. Still think I am holding out for Heritage though.

Probably wrong on the comparison unless you aren't feeding both well.  The Cornwalls may be a little easier to push in the bass but if you have a good amp, the KLF-30s will out do the Cornwalls.  I've had both and currently again have a set of KLF-30s after selling my modified pair to a friend.  I need to go look at that Mint pair though since it is rather close, if they are still around.,

My opinion of course but I have owned both.  To me the KLF-30's in my 22x20x9 open to rear room came close to the impact of the Khorns I sold after years.

I actually like that some say CWs sound better (nostalgia I think) since they try to power KLF-20s and 30s with amps that have less drive.  It keeps the price down compared to Cornwalls.  KLFs are still one of the best Klipsch secrets out there (sans 10s- I like 3 ways) though care in feeding is in order.

• Like 1

Oh, they are fed alright. Mc 75's, pair. C20 preamp. All have been serviced. Belle mains, and JBL L200t3 rear. Nothing wrong with sound now, just waning Klipsch rears. Actually, I should probably just leave well enough alone, and add a good powered sub, maybe even two, just to keep from driving the Belle's too hard on the bottom end, they tend to get a little "mushy" for lack of better terms at moderate levels. Now keep in mind I never try to introduce distortion into my volume levels. I can only drive the entire setup at about 1/3 on the preamp volume control. Depending on how clean the source is, maybe a little more.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Edited by hogwylde09
added info

The forte and Chorus are great options as well and the forte are usually a lot easier and cheaper to find then the other models mentioned. My personal favorite speaker is the Chorus II, I think for their size, weight and cost they are the best all around Klipsch speaker ever made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hogwylde09 said:

Oh, they are fed alright. Mc 75's, pair. C20 preamp. All have been serviced. Belle mains, and JBL L200t3 rear. Nothing wrong with sound now, just waning Klipsch rears. Actually, I should probably just leave well enough alone, and add a good powered sub, maybe even two, just to keep from driving the Belle's too hard on the bottom end, they tend to get a little "mushy" for lack of better terms at moderate levels. Now keep in mind I never try to introduce distortion into my volume levels. I can only drive the entire setup at about 1/3 on the preamp volume control. Depending on how clean the source is, maybe a little more.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

They are fed well for higher and easier to push with tubes.  The KLFs like current with the dual woofer arrangement.  That's why I said fed well.  Tubes would be great on the mid tweeter  through.  

That was one of the reasons I sold my original KLFs, was playing with tubes at the time.  Moved on since then though tubes have their place though not in high current demanding applications in a price range I could afford.  I found my REF-1000s and other IcePower based amps have a bit of tube sound but have a lot of kick (plus lack of heat always helps).

I've found that Chorus IIs or Forte IIs will require a little less drive for the bottom end from an amp

• Like 1

The KLFs like current with the dual woofer arrangement.  That's why I said fed well.  Tubes would be great on the mid tweeter  through.  

My experience as well.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, absolve2525 said:

I'm a big Chorus II fan also. I like the punch of the big pro-type 15", as well as the lower cutoff frequency of the larger tractrix midrange horn. Crites Ti tweeter diaphragms make them even better. 

you might like to try a set of Ti mid diaphragms made by Klipsch sourced from Simply Speakers. I have found with ti tweeter diaphragms (I like the ones Bob sells) that they sound a lot better if you add a layer of dynamat over the front and back side of the connector tab which sticks out of the side of the motor assembly. I also do other mods to the motor assembly but the damping the connector tab helps a lot to smooth them out, so if you are one of the ti are too edgy people you might give this a try to see if it works for you. Regards moray james.

no I do not have a working camera nor much interest in getting one. I use dynamat to damp the basket inside and out and I use F-11 Acoustical Felt to damp inside the basket strut as well as other mods. you cab layer dynamat on the exposed surfaces of the mid diaphragm butterfly, I place a layer of dynamat on the pole of all my comp drivers and woofers if the dust cap is off and I build up a felt dome of F-11 made up with disks of 1/8" F-11 I use just three small dots off adhesive per layer to make sure that I am not making reflective layers of adhesive. I also place a layer of dynamat on the back plated of all the magnet assemblies. That not all of what I do but it is the major stuff. I would not use stock drivers after hearing these mods. As always YMMV. regards moray james.