Don't get on here much anymore but

Tom Mobley

15 hours ago, Tom Mobley said:

Craig, would that output iron work with a quad of 6550s push-pull? 

A quad per channel push pull. You would have to melt down a pair of 6550 per channel to get 120 watts or run then in very loose class B which would sound horrible...  

I know the issue.  I'm a long time mod on a forum with 70K members.  we have a special section for politics and other controversial topics.  member have to ask for access, it's not exactly public.  It's completely unmoderated.  I've only been in there a few times in the last 10 years or so.  A political discussion got crazy and a guy posted a direct threat to a sitting president.  He's gone forever.

We have a software tool that really works.   it bans their username, bans their email from signing up again and bans their IP address from connecting and deletes all their posts.  Sort of a death penalty.  Really good for spammers.

• Like 1

Craig, I want to build a tube based bass amp for my son to use with bass guitar.  Also he from time to time needs amplification of his upright bass.  They have pickups for that, they clip on the bridge or something.  I was thinking (I know, I know) of a roughly 2x2x2 ported box with a k-33 (I have one, I think) or similar driver.  It needs some power but I don't like the looks of the EL-34 type tubes.   6550s are still pretty easily available.

I need to check on the tonal range of upright bass.

34 minutes ago, Tom Mobley said:

...He's gone forever...

That's a good thing... One thing you didn't mention was that POTUS threat could have been forwarded to the US Secret Service. Not that it would amount to much, but deleting the evidence might have been a bit quick. 

Since you had the guy killed I suppose evidence isn't really pertinent in this case.   :)

BTW, I am Craig also. I was wondering why the heck anybody in their right mind would ask me a question about push-pull tube amps.   :P

Hmpf, looks like 41 to about 600HZ.  I dunno if a k-33 could cover that.  Jeeze, I also have a Belle bass bin that I never finished.  I could try it in there.

Funny, 2 Craigs.  Need the Craiginator.

We immediately thought of the consequences of the Secret Service getting involved.  We have a non-public area commonly called the Dumpster where we put stuff like that.  Move it to the Dumpster instead of deleting it.  Fortunately the SS never showed up.  I still see that guy on other car forums, he seems to have toned it down considerably.  ;)

Wow Tom, good to see you here again. I still check about twice a week, but not as much as in the past.  I still have the amp I bought from you, the Scott, my first tube amp. Also it was your posts about driving to get your Khorn that inspired me to go to Detroit for mine.  I spend a lot more time listening to music these days.  I still listen to the amp a few times a year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom Mobley said:

Hmpf, looks like 41 to about 600HZ.  I dunno if a k-33 could cover that.  Jeeze, I also have a Belle bass bin that I never finished.  I could try it in there.

Funny, 2 Craigs.  Need the Craiginator.

We immediately thought of the consequences of the Secret Service getting involved.  We have a non-public area commonly called the Dumpster where we put stuff like that.  Move it to the Dumpster instead of deleting it.  Fortunately the SS never showed up.  I still see that guy on other car forums, he seems to have toned it down considerably.  ;)

It's a relief to know that you didn't actually execute him. :)

Car forum? Which one are you a sysop in? I used to be an admin at hotrodders.com. Not sure if I still am...

On 8/15/2016 at 11:47 PM, mustang guy said:

Mainly you don't discuss religion or politics in open forums. That get's out of hand and people get pretty nasty with eachother. I get why Klipsch doesn't want to be represented that way. After all, they are a company.  As for other moderation, it is usually more about people just being scorned and lashing out. Thin skin is the main culprit there. Instead of intellectual banter and sparring, people start name calling and acting beneath themselves. Enter the moderators. . .

Hope that helps. And yes, there has been a good bit of moderating done lately.

Craig,

I see you joined in 2011. Trust me you have no idea what this place used to be like...we would have some long drawn out say it like you see it discussions about audio back in the day. The heated discussions were almost never about politics or religion. There was zero moderation. It was the wild west of the internet. It was fun...but you could not have thin skin and survive. Now don't get me wrong I totally understand why Klipsch did something about it.  But this place is absolutely WAY MORE restricted. It's like we all joined a nicey, nice utopia or something LOL!! 

• Like 3

I felt like I learned a lot more with all the head butting too. The conversations just die off now and we rarely get into the complexity anymore. Maybe part of that is we've grown tired of debating the same subjects over and over so we're less keen on getting into it?

We gotta get some of you tube guys up to speed on Class D topologies. A buddy of mine was working at Fermilab and was explaining why they use tubes in their particle accelerators. The advantages in the Fermilab application directly apply to one of the dominant distortion mechanisms in Class D designs.

Btw, I'd agree that the sound quality capability with live music has dramatically improved. That (not so new anymore) Anya system from EAW sounds amazing.

• Like 1

Tom, good to see you too.  That Scott was a good amp IIRC.  Getting to where that trip to Colorado Springs for the 60 Khorns was awhile back.  Turns out it was Nov 2003.

That one K-5-W pics is dated in Dec 1959.  I would have been in the first grade.  The one has serial number 1517, before they got into all those letters and whatnot.

T35-K77.jpg

woofer1.jpg

datedhorn.jpg

clearhorn-nodate.jpg

first pic.jpg

both.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom Mobley said:

Tom, good to see you too.  That Scott was a good amp IIRC.  Getting to where that trip to Colorado Springs for the 60 Khorns was awhile back.  Turns out it was Nov 2003.

That one K-5-W pics is dated in Dec 1959.  I would have been in the first grade.  The one has serial number 1517, before they got into all those letters and whatnot.

T35-K77.jpg

woofer1.jpg

datedhorn.jpg

clearhorn-nodate.jpg

first pic.jpg

both.jpg

Those look amazing, thank you for sharing

Mark

That is the Scott.  I hooked it up today and it still sounds great.  Now I mainly use 2 MC250's biamped and a Peach pre.  My horns are a 54 and 56.  I did get new networks, saved the old ones, and matched the tweeters.  Sound great and look great too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustang guy said:

How does the vertically aligned tweeter horn affect off-axis listening? Was that done to reduce reflections on the walls in the corner?

Actually, the response is wider horizontally when mounted vertically. Look up the EV doc on tweeter.

Bruce

• Like 1

Hi Tom! we once discussed looking to see if you had those unusual wedges in the throat of the  bass horn,and possibly removing them.  I'm glad you didn't, since I see you have a different woofer (a Jensen?) that may have been perfectly engineered to go with the original crossovers and bass horn configuration you got with these.  I think your instincts told you that it sounded just fine and leave it alone and don't mess with it!!

Thanks for writing! -- Larry

On August 15, 2016 at 11:47 PM, mustang guy said:

Nice thread and pictures.

Love the K-5-J and those AlNiCo Woofers. 

This place is pretty boring these days, well, except the Type AA thread, which is the most excitement this place has seen in a year. 

Objectivism rules around here, but subjectivism hasn't died yet. Gratefully, there are still those who understand that what a person actually prefers - counts for something. 

• Like 1