Chicago Members, It's Been a While

derrickdj1

5 hours ago, oldred said:

Derrick,

I mentioned the GTG to the wife......she was concerned about the whole ax murderer thing......I promised her I would leave my ax at home...:angry: I was thinking about bringing a set of Quartets. ....the black ones I refinished in walnut....Just not sure....So far planning on making the trip

G.E.M.

I know the feeling about what the wife's like to say to us.   I hosted a bunch of these GTG's on avsforum and had about 25 guys at my house for the last one including Derrick.  Everyone has been really cool and respectful of my house.  The audio video crowd is a lot of fun to hang with!

My wife always ask me to call her when I get to the GTG and leave.  Mike, I had a heck of a time grouping the subs and getting the final mesh with the mains.  I also adjusted the gain Structure of the whole bass system.  More on that  later.  I used  a new technique to get everything integrated since I have some subs 28 ft and some under 1 feet to the MLP,  There will be a handout at the meet.

I think this is an easy to follow technique that music and movie folks can use to get a great blend with the mains.  We will see what folks thinks.:blink::ph34r:

I am also betting that NO ONE can pick out HD audio from good mp3's(ACC 256 or VBR files), consistently.

On Sunday, October 02, 2016 at 0:28 PM, derrickdj1 said:

Subwoofer problems corrected.  The gain structure still was not to my liking so, I started from scratch.  Everything level matched,  phase correct, ect. and this is what I got with autocalibration.:blink:  I even boosted 20 Hz, 8db.  Can I fix this.  The presentation for the GTG has the answer!  I think?;)

Oct 1, 2016 Mains Large.png

I found with the subs calibration worked right when no hpf was on.  I also found the calibration run FIRST worked better and then peq after.    Add hpf after at whichever u choose if any.  With hpf filter on it tried to boost bottom incorrectly.

That is up there for a teaser Rob.  Everything I said was true but, I do know the answer, lol.  There should be some neat concepts brought out  in the presentation at the GTG.  I will be hitting the store in the morning picking up a few  things for the GTG.

If there is anyone planning to attend the GTG and did not get my address and other info, shoot me a PM

On 10/3/2016 at 0:50 AM, derrickdj1 said:

My wife always ask me to call her when I get to the GTG and leave.  Mike, I had a heck of a time grouping the subs and getting the final mesh with the mains.  I also adjusted the gain Structure of the whole bass system.  More on that  later.  I used  a new technique to get everything integrated since I have some subs 28 ft and some under 1 feet to the MLP,  There will be a handout at the meet.

I think this is an easy to follow technique that music and movie folks can use to get a great blend with the mains.  We will see what folks thinks.:blink::ph34r:

I am also betting that NO ONE can pick out HD audio from good mp3's(ACC 256 or VBR files), consistently.

Did you use the rta method in REW to dial them in?   I can only imagine your delay settings in your inukes with each sub cabinet.  I had a hard time my self for a little I was 26db hot from 30-60 hz then it dropped like a rock.  I finally started fresh on all 4 sub amps and dialed them in I'm flat from 13hz. to 100hz + or - 3 db.   I can't wait to hear how yours sound and the method you used along with your klipsch

• Like 1

I'm not sure I seen the rta method in REW.  REW has somethings that Omnimic does not and vice versa.  This way all you need is a basic FR graph and don't need multiple overlays for a target curve.  This guide, hopefully anyone can follow it on the first try without to much difficulty and time. 

I will see what you guys think of the method.  I may even give you guys some cream pies, lol.

200.gif#56

• Like 1

I just found out a not yet released for public sale and advertising new HSU 15 in. sub is coming tomorrow.  This sub is from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, courtesy of Dr. HSU. The time is going to fly by tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to seeing everybody tomorrow!

• Like 2

I just found out a not yet released for public sale and advertising new HSU 15 in. sub is coming tomorrow.  This sub is from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, courtesy of Dr. HSU. The time is going to fly by tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to seeing everybody tomorrow!

Looking forward to hearing that!

I am too Jim.  A guy that writes for Audioholic arranged that and will also be here.  So, bring your smile we might end up on the internet somewhere other than this forum, we will see.  Tonight I'm testing the HD audio vs the ACC and enhanced MP3's.  This is good to be really fun comparing these two formats.  Since most of us are over 45, we will see if we still have eagle ears or should just get Bose, lol.

• Like 2

It's up to you Gary.  If it is real big, just come and have fun.  At first 6 or 7 hours sounds like a lot time but, with demo'ing a few amps, presentation, HD audio vs mp3 shootout we will be moving.  The main thing is getting all the guys together for some fun and fellowship.:D

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

I am too Jim.  A guy that writes for Audioholic arranged that and will also be here.  So, bring your smile we might end up on the internet somewhere other than this forum, we will see.  Tonight I'm testing the HD audio vs the ACC and enhanced MP3's.  This is good to be really fun comparing these two formats.  Since most of us are over 45, we will see if we still have eagle ears or should just get Bose, lol.

Geez, I guess this means everyone has to wear pants now....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

45 on the nose ☺  i can translate between generations lol.  

I am probably closer to a 1-1:30PM arrival.

Anything you want me to bring?
- KEF LS50

- RB-75

- Cary CAD-808 (rocket 88) tube amp

- Olive One media server/amp

anyone coming from the Indy area?  Jweber can't make it and I have some gear for him.  That would get it closer to him.

• Like 1