Anyone Own One of These? Audioengine B1

willland

I have been looking into something that I can stream music from my PC/network to my Yamaha A-S1000 and came across these.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_772B1ADPT/Audioengine-B1.html

Audioengine B1 FrontAudioengine B1 Back

I do not want to have to use my SMART phone as the receiver nor do I want to purchase a separate network player.   My plan is to send music from my home network or SMART phone via Bluetooth to the B1.  I have read nothing but very good reviews about this piece so wanted someone who owns one to chime in.

Thanks,

Bill

So this one has a built in dac for better sound? I have been using Logitech's. Bluetooth receiver and it works great. Couldn't tell you how the sound compares to others. What i can tell you is that i dont have any complaints on the sound quality. I know its not a review on the specific item, hopefully one valued $100.00 more has better sound quality.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I own a B1. Its a nice little unit with good range. I mainly have it for friends/family that stop over and want to hook up their phone or tablet to play something. I think the sound quality is good, but not as good as using a Sonos, laptop or CD. I'm using the digital out on the B1 and letting my external DAC do the decoding, so I can't speak to how the built in DAC sounds.

8 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

Is your PC integrated into your main rig? Do you have WI-FI?

My PC is not directly connected to any rig but can access files from my main HT through my SMART TV(LAN) and 751BD player(wireless) and with my Integra network receiver via LAN or wireless.  The Yamaha rig is where I want to use the B1.

Bill

18 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

Gotcha, had an alternative method for you to make your smart phone the remote and Spotify, Pandora controller.

That is kind of what I want to do without having to connect with a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable.  Though I could get one about 50ft long so I could walk around the room and still control it.;):D

Bill

I f you have Spotify Premium (worth it, IMO), you could use a Chromecast Audio and an inexpensive DAC like the Schiit Modi 2 Uber (around $185 total for both) to stream 320 kbps Spotify or files on your PC or phone without bluetooth's compression and range limitations.  A combo like this has the potential to sound better than the B1 for about the same money.

Just another option...

What file types do you have for network music?

6 hours ago, adam2434 said:

I f you have Spotify Premium (worth it, IMO), you could use a Chromecast Audio and an inexpensive DAC like the Schiit Modi 2 Uber (around $185 total for both) to stream 320 kbps Spotify or files on your PC or phone without bluetooth's compression and range limitations.  A combo like this has the potential to sound better than the B1 for about the same money.

I don't have Spotify premium but may go pick up a Chromecast Audio just give it a whirl.  I could use Pandora and stream WAV/flac files from my PC.

Thanks,

Bill

My daughter’s bedroom system has a Chromecast Audio connected to her AVR via optical cable.  She uses Spotify Premium exclusively (I believe you have to have a Premium account for the Chromecast Audio to work with Spotify).  Sound quality of the Spotify Premium 320 kbps bitrate via optical connection to AVR sounds pretty darn good (I doubt many folks could hear a significant difference vs. a CD player connected via optical)

Not sure about the analog out sound quality, but I would not expect DAC greatness from a $35 device.

I believe Pandora works with the Chromecast Audio, but have not tried that.  For PC flac/wav files, I believe you need server software (like Plex) on the PC and the corresponding app on your phone. 

I have never tried this, as I use a Sonos Connect to stream flac files and Spotify Premium to my main system.  The Sonos products are pricey, but are very user-friendly and work well together.

Bill, yes, the output jack is for both 3.5mm analog and mini optical.

If you try a DAC, I recommend you try a free trial of Spotify Premium to experience some pretty high quality streaming.  We do the family plan for $15/month, so my kids and wife can also take advantage of the Premium features.  

Also, make sure you have the audio set to "Full Dynamic Range" on the CA.

No experience with it.  They are known for small, cheap class D amps.  Worth a shot maybe, and you can always sell it and most likely break even.

I originally recommended the Schiit Modi 2 Uber because the total price was close to the Audioengine B1.  Plus, the Schiit is Made in the USA.  ;)