KS-525-THX

audiophileman

Just did a demo on the RF-7 ii absolutely loved them. I am going to buy them and the RC-64 center. My question is since the RS-62 ii is discontinued is anybody using the KS-525-THX. Everybody I talk to says they are not a good match unless it is a complete thx system. Please let me know if anyone is using the same way

Thanks for the response. I am in California, everybody that I talked with says that the thx model is not a good match because it does not give a flat frequency response and its sound quality would be different and not match the rest of the system. The only other model made today is the RP 250S they tell me that model would match, but the horn dispersion is 90 by 90 instead of 90 by 60 like the RF-7 ii so there has to be some sonic differences. Do you know where I can get the RS 62 ii ? If not can you give your opinion between the thx model and the newer RP 250S? Thanks.

I know of another dealer who is packaging THX surrounds with RF-7ii's now that the 62's are gone.  I have some on hand, I could mix them up and try them out and report on my opinion if you're interested.  The horn dispersion shouldn't be a big issue with surrounds, I would think that if anything the new style would help.  Biggest concern of mine would be the flatness that THX stuff is known for.  Reference stuff is much more colorful.  Shouldn't even matter on ambience but if something pans around the room like on concert blu rays I'm not sure how noticeable the different timbre would be.  

• Like 1

Thanks MetropolisLakeOutfitters. That would be great if you would do that, it would be much appreciated.  I would really like to know how the thx speakers perform. I seen them on Crutchfields website and they call them powerhouses. It does make me wonder because the RS-62 ii had 6.5 inch woofers vs 5.25 for the KS-525-THX. Of coarse there is a lot more to it than just the woofer size. I agree if you have a chance to try them out on concert blu rays that would be a great test. I will wait to hear back from you, and once again thanks for the help.

The RS-62's have my bet.  THX doesn't mean a whole hell of beans to me honestly, other than an expensive logo put out on products for the purpose of generating more money.  I venture to say I'd probably even pick the RS-52's over the THX ones, though I'm more critical for music - so I may be biased.

It's not much of a fair fight at this point.  THX has nowhere near the bottom end as the 62's and the high end isn't colored the same.  Midrange is flatter and timbre is nothing alike, both of which is obvious on the THX LCR's but I didn't think it would be quite so obvious on the surrounds.  Some ambience doesn't matter but if it pans or is aggressive or especially if there is anything like a gunshot or male voice, the THX just doesn't blend in with the rest of the system.  We played "Call of Duty: Ghosts" on it and they just didn't do it for me on that material at all, lots of low male voices and gunshots in the surrounds with it bouncing around and playing the same sounds on multiple speakers, it just didn't blend.  Pitch Perfect 2 wasn't quite as bad.  I had Audyssey off.  Running it would help a little but from what I've seen so far, mixing the THX surrounds with RF-7ii's isn't really the best idea ever. Granted, they're not really broken in yet, but still. 

Thanks badass091286, I always thought the ks-525 would be a good fit for theRF-7ii and RC-64ii as well. But unfortunately I have no way of hearing them without buying them first. Some members say the timbre is different. But of course everything is subjective. If you try out the RB-81ii let me know what you think. Did you ever try the RS-62ii or were they already discontinued when you bought the fronts and center?

If you had nothing to compare them to they'd work in general and you may be perfectly happy.  

When you can A/B them with a better matched surround and you're noticing significant differences when you do, it's hard to say that they're timbre matched.  They're just not.  I can't see how you'd be gaining anything over the RP-250S with the THX if you have reference mains.  The biggest problem is that reference stuff is colored and THX is flat.  It's like having Martin Logan Motion 40 mains and James surrounds.  Sure it will work.  Saying they compliment each other and it's timbre matched is probably a different story.