RSW 15 or SVS 20-39 pc+

johnny24c

Ok guys, I'm upgrading my KSw-15 (which I am almost satisfied with ) to RSW-15 or SVS 20-39 pc+ . any one compared the RWS to SVS, not counting the big bad duel ultras............

Oh..... yea..... mains are RF7's and room is 28 x 18. I could live with the KSW but want a little more punch. thanks

This message has been edited by johnny24c on 09-07-2002 at 06:31 PM

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A single RSW15 could easily outgun a PC+ above 30hz, but will get dusted below 30hz. But considering you could buy a second PC+ for the cost of an RSW you'd end up with very comparable output above 30hz and really dust the RSW below 30hz.

Sound wise you'll only know if you get a chance to hear them both. Which if you can get an in home demo from your dealer on the RSW and are willing to eat the return shipping on the SVS you can do.

The RSW-15 is a very clean sounding subwoofer and it has a very punchy sound. It has a huge aesthetic advantage over the SVS. Try out the RSW-15 first

I also do not like the idea of building an amp onto a cylindrical enclosure like seen on the PCi and PC+ lines from SVS. It is one thing to stick an amp onto a box enclosure, but to stick an amp onto a cylinder enclosure requires physically cutting the cylinder. Just a thought

>>>The RSW-15 is a very clean sounding subwoofer and it has a very punchy sound.<<<

Most of the hundreds who own the CS+ SVS models consider them very clean sounding too. As for *punchy*...we design to maintain the flattest FR possible---even as volume levels are increased to high output.An example of the FR differences between two subwoofers as output is increased is detailed in the Brian Weatherhead comparison between Klipsch,SVS and Velodyne subwoofers(you can read it linked from the SVS website). I would also note the deep bass performance of all subwoofers involved.

>>> It has a huge aesthetic advantage over the SVS.<<<

To some perhaps.We have found many folks would rather have a tall cylinder in their room rather than another large generic style box. The SVs take up very little floor area too...many consider than an important advantage.The cool thing is folks now have plenty of choices regarding powered subwoofers. Small cubes,big boxes,tall cylinders,ect.

>>>I also do not like the idea of building an amp onto a cylindrical enclosure like seen on the PCi and PC+ lines from SVS. It is one thing to stick an amp onto a box enclosure, but to stick an amp onto a cylinder enclosure requires physically cutting the cylinder. Just a thought<<<

What concerns you about mounting a flat amp on a curved surface specifically? Since SVS has thousands of *powered* cylinders in the field now it should be pretty obivious that our designs are very solid.If anyone has ANY concerns about our subwoofers durability or the SVS customer sevrice when the extremely rare problem does occur. I WELCOME you to do a web search on the internet.Our *problem* rate is the lowest I know of and our customer service is constantly regarded as unsurpassed! We also have a full THREE year warranty on our powered cylinders. The nice thing about powered cylinders is we can enjoy all the advantages associated with cylindrical enclosures...and still give the customer the *plug-play* ease of a powered subwoofer. For those who understand the concepts involved, it is an obvious win-win scenario....just a thought.

TV

I do not like the idea of cutting a hole in a cylinder based enclosure. I stand by that, and I know that other people feel the same way. That is my opinion

And the SVS black cylinder subs are very ugly to me. That is also my opinion and I stand by that.

I have heard your PCi sub. Not bad just not my cup of tea. I prefer the RSW sound to that, price differences aside obviously

>>I do not like the idea of cutting a hole in a cylinder based enclosure.<<<

ooohkay,I was assuming your *opinion* would be based upon something tangible. For example, if someone said ...

"I don't like the idea of a PR"

I would expect them(or myself) to be able to answer an inquire into that opinion with more than...

"I do not like a PR and that is my opinion and my opinion is the most important thing about my opinion,ect,ect"

I happen to like ideas---esp. ideas that provide a better cost/performance ratio for the HT enthusiasts.

>>>

Hey Tom V. glad to see you around, hope to hear more from you, I pop in every now and then myself!<<<

Mark? The same Mark I used to stay up far into the *am* IMing on AOL 4-5 years ago? Still have your TN25s/M1400 combo?(or was it a M1200?).

TV

Properly done, mounting a plate amp to a tube style sub will in no way compromise the integrity of the tube enough to affect performance. For a DIY example of how to do it right, check this link out:

http://members.optushome.com.au/wcallen/Construction.htm

I haven't seen pics of how SVS has actually done the mount. But given the standards I know Tom works towards, if the amp mount adversely affected the reliability or performance of his subs in any way he wouldn't be making them.

If you can afford a Klipsch RSW-15, then why don't you just get Dual SVS CS-Ultras? They run around the same price.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Samsung WS-36Z4HF (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: (Still deciding)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Jonesey and TV,

Seems you have a difference of opinion here and there's nothing wrong or unusual about that - is there? Jonesey, I guess you'll have to accept TV's everpresent efforts to promote his products here on the Klipsch forum and TV, perhaps you could be just a bit less unrelenting in those efforts. You've gotten lots of promotional benefit and we've been more than polite in accepting your use of the Klipsch forum to advance your interests. After numerous email messages asking us to limit your use of this forum, I now ask you publicly to take it down a notch.

BobG

Hi Bob,

I apologize if I came off as marketing in this thread.I'll be sure to limit my mentioning of SVS to answering very specific questions by forum members or correcting mis-information about our products in the future.

You might want to check the ISPs of those *numerous* complainers if you have time though.I seem to have a couple of internet stalkers who like to sign up to a forum using multiple accounts---and then the first time I correct them when they start posting some BS about SVS...they begin emailing the moderator(s) of the forum relentlessly demanding I be *banned*.Other forums have ended up banning the member(s) in question because it was pretty clear their only intention was introducing MIS-information about a product.(and then whining behind everyone's back to the moderator(s) when their attepts at spreading the mis-information)was corrected by someone at SVS).

I can have numerous forum owners/moderators contact you if you want to compare ISPs,just contact me offline. I think it's pretty obvious who is here because they are a Klipsch fan first and who is here to troll(under multiple names) and spread mis-information about other products.

Tom V.

SVS

Tom, thanks for your cooperative attitude. Your respect for what takes place on this forum is appreciated.

As you and I have discussed off-line, there have been a number of requests to curtail the marketing of SVS products on this forum; some from the people you've mentioned above, but many others from other members of this forum.

Klipsch has tried to adopt a hands-off policy regarding any limits on this forum. In this case, I trust you'll understand and address the request.

Thanks again for your participation here. We are not trying to create a one-sided bulletin board.

BobG

I must commend Klipsch for their stance on this. Tell me what other manufacturer would host a bulletin board where competitive products are so freely discussed (in a positive manner, anyway Smile.gif)?

Perhaps out of consideration for our hosts, these types of discussions/recommendations could be accomplished offline of the board, via PMs or emails. Not suggesting censorship, by any means, just perhaps a courtesy.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 09-09-2002 at 01:47 PM

I think that your courtesy idea, although commendable undermines the policy that Klipsch has set forth. By allowing freedom of discussion of all brands of equipment, In my mind, Klipsch has put forth a FEAR NOTHING attitude, and a receptiveness that few other forum hosters would dare. Klipsch were the finest speakers I was interested in 1985, and again in 2002. I just wish I could afford to even "listen" to the top contenders of Klipsch subs... Sadly, I ran outta bucks a couple of upgrades ago..

Cutting a hole in a cylinder sub is a compromise of the structural integrity of the sub. A quick talk to any structural engineer and you will know. That is why the PCi and PC+ will never get my recommendation. Also I feel the black SVS's are ugly and the velvet cover was not good looking, my opinion.

That Bob is an Ok guy, I love Klipsch{4- klf20's and 2- klf-c7 } like this board as well, T.V. has always been a stand up guy also{Tom I am a different Mark, but have chated with you before about music issues}

lets just make it work, it is a great place for all, thanks. Mark

This message has been edited by h2xmark on 09-09-2002 at 10:39 PM

>>>Cutting a hole in a cylinder sub is a compromise of the structural integrity of the sub.<<<

Absolutely 100% wrong jonesey.

The cylinders are STRONGER after we attach the amp mount. In effect, we are replacing a small section of pressed cardboard...with a alum. plate bolted to a very strong wooden frame which surrounds the *hole* in the cylinder. We have perfected the technique to such a degree---the more amps we mounted---the stronger the enclosure would become. Smile.gif

>>>A quick talk to any structural engineer and you will know.<<<

Oh yes, PLEASE quote a *structural engineer* telling you replacing a small section of cardboard from a cylinder with a thick alum. plate will weaken it. This is so silly I am beginning to wonder if you are joking?

TV

Cutting a hole in a cylinder and leaving that hole open will severily compromise structural integrity. Putting something in that hole weaker than the cardboard will also compromise integrity (especially if it doesn't have a cylinder shape). But replacing that hole with something stronger than what was there? Come on Jonesey, think about that one for a minute.