Setting Azimuth

jcmusic

Galen Carol (www.gcaudio.com) has a very nice discussion of phono alignment, including these paragraphs on azimuth:

Azimuth: Even more critical (in my opinion) to proper set-up than VTA, is cartridge azimuth. Unfortunately VTA gets all the press, therefore many people are not aware of the importance of this adjustment. What is azimuth? Looking at the cartridge body from the front, it is the left to right tilt of the cartridge body. Contrary to popular belief, azimuth is not necessarily correct with the sides of the cartridge body are perpendicular to the record surface. What we're actually looking for is the correct relationship of the stylus to the groove. Unfortunately, the vast majority of styli are not mounted perpendicular to the bottom of the cartridge body, thus making azimuth set-up by sight alone erroneous. And with the current trend toward decreasing stylus size, even seeing the stylus without the  aid of magnification borders on the improbable. The "eyeball" or "mirror" method should only be employed if other more sophisticated methods are unavailable.

The gold standard for determining the correct azimuth is a dedicated cartridge analyzer or Fosgate Fozgometer from Musical Surroundings (see below). A test tone (typically 1kHz) is played on one channel while the analyzer looks at the output from the opposite channel. This crosstalk is a measure of cartridge separation. When the crosstalk is at its lowest, and equal on both channels, the azimuth is optimized. If you can obtain a test record, an oscilloscope or accurate digital voltmeter can be substituted for the dedicated cartridge analyzer mentioned above.

Lacking the test equipment previously described, other less sophisticated methods may be employed to set azimuth. The simplest alternative, connect one channel of the cartridge out of phase with the other (simply reverse the + and - on one channel only) and play a test record with a mono track or a monophonic record (preferably one with simple instrumentation). Out of phase information cancels so adjust  azimuth by tuning for least output.

From Harry Weisfeld at VPI comes yet another rather simple method, requiring only a mono record and a pair of ears. He suggests that a simple mono recording of voice should provide a stable, non-wavering image, precisely centered between the twomsFozgometer_VS.jpg speakers. Adjust the azimuth to achieve optimum results. This method works well if you’re practiced enough to know what to listen for, though most listeners would be better served by using one of the tests outlined previously. Best option, use the Fozgometer.

We recommend using the Fozgomet

I set mine by eye, which is probably not as good as Carol's approach, especially since he says styli are not always set precisely on the cantilever.  I'm reluctant to get that complicated, however.  

Unfortunately, cartridges differ dramatically in how easy they make it for the eyeball.  In sharp contrast, Transfigurations have a beautiful vertical white line on the front of the cart that you can line up precisely with its reflection when you set it down on a mirror.

Some time ago, Benz carts had multiplaner shapes which made it impossible to set by eye.  They don't look like that now.  At any rate, I don't buy cartridges like that.

• Like 1

On the VPI unipivot it is a bit fussy.

I use the small metal rod set into the 'groove' on the head shell but it is certainly not perfect.

VPI forum has some conscientious owner content on this and related topics.

Fosgate is a top notch company. I have read several interviews with their founder.

When I have $ 300 I do not know what to do with I will probable buy the meter.

Setting azimuth on AJ Conti's Basis Vector arm is quite easy, if you have the required very small hex key, 0.050", I believe.  The arm has a dual pivot system that uses an unbalanced tonearm counterweight to create a rotating force counteracted by the adjustment (I don't understand it beyond that statement).  Nice, effective, and stable.

I got a set of handled hex keys for this arm that are a lot easier to use than the usual l-shaped ones.

I have used a micro bubble level placed on the headshell forever. They weigh virtually nothing and work great. Very accurate and I am always pleased with the results. Works especially well on the VPI Unipivot arms. Lighter than the rod and more accurate. Try it, you'll like it. Also, the counter intuitive is a must for easier and more accurate azimuth adjustment with the VPI.

• Like 1

When I align a cartridge, I use a protractor. VTA I adjust by eye swinging the tonearm as far towards the spindle as I can, and level the cartridge/headshell with the record. Then I play music, and set the anti-skate so that my center image is in the center. That gets you close for the most part. I then adjust by ear.

When one channel sounds a bit more detailed than the other, I rotate the cartridge very slightly one way or the other until it is equal.

If the soundstage is a bit short, raise the tonearm slightly.

Azimuth is easy to tell if it is wrong. Just adjust for the best image focus. If it is too far off, you will have phasing errors and it will mess with your head a bit obscuring the musical picture.

Once you have it, tighten everything up, headshell, screws, etc... Enjoy! You will know when it is right, as everything just works and sounds great.

Key is slight adjustments, and knowing what those adjustments do when you are close. Become the needle grasshopper!  :)

On 10/7/2016 at 8:15 PM, Sprinter1104 said:

I use a calibrated Fozgometer on a VPI Signature arm. 

In infer you are also using the Soundsmith Counterintuitive? What cartridge do you use?

How do you insure the Fozgometer stays / is calibrated?

Soundsmith is coming out with their own meter but it seems like it is twice the price. Seems excessive.

Do you use anti skate? VPI and Soundsmith differ greatly on use of antiskate.

On 10/7/2016 at 6:38 PM, USNRET said:

I used the Fozgometer and Mint LP Best Tractor on my Basis / Graham table. Bought an LED lighted headband with multiple optics so these old eyes could see.

The Mint LP from Yip is far and away the best tool for the money for accurate cartridge setup.

8 hours ago, jorjen said:

The Mint LP from Yip is far and away the best tool for the money for accurate cartridge setup.

Agreed I used the Mint when I had my VPI Scoutmaster, now I have a new TT I need to order an Mint for it. I am also gonna try the Adjust + software for azimuth, I have the Fozgometer but from what I have read and been told by one expert in cartridge setup. The Adjust + is the best tool for setting the azimuth!!!

5 hours ago, canyonman said:

Agreed I used the Mint when I had my VPI Scoutmaster, now I have a new TT I need to order an Mint for it. I am also gonna try the Adjust + software for azimuth, I have the Fozgometer but from what I have read and been told by one expert in cartridge setup. The Adjust + is the best tool for setting the azimuth!!!

A VPI Scoutmaster was the last table I used the Mint on as well. I also need to order one for my new TT. it has been sitting in the box for two months now.

4 hours ago, canyonman said:

For the VPI owners do you use the mat or as the VPI company owner suggests you can just play an LP on the platter with no mat at all. Not so sweet on metal to vinyl interface but subjectively the LP should not be damaged in any way.

On 10/11/2016 at 1:17 PM, Audio Flynn said:

For the VPI owners do you use the mat or as the VPI company owner suggests you can just play an LP on the platter with no mat at all. Not so sweet on metal to vinyl interface but subjectively the LP should not be damaged in any way.

No mat!

On October 10, 2016 at 7:41 AM, Audio Flynn said:

In infer you are also using the Soundsmith Counterintuitive? What cartridge do you use?

How do you insure the Fozgometer stays / is calibrated?

Soundsmith is coming out with their own meter but it seems like it is twice the price. Seems excessive.

Do you use anti skate? VPI and Soundsmith differ greatly on use of antiskate.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've been traveling.

You are correct, I am using the Counterintuitive, it makes adjustment so much easier. I've used the Foz on a Dynavector 20X2 HO, Soundsmith VPI Zephyr 1, and the Ortolan 2M Black, all with great results.

To calibrate I just follow the instructions included with the unit.I first read about the Soundsmith unit over a year ago, not sure if it's still in development or not.

Lastly, no, I don't use anti skate. I believe Harry probably knows better than I, and he prefers not using it so I don't either.

11 hours ago, Sprinter1104 said:

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've been traveling.

You are correct, I am using the Counterintuitive, it makes adjustment so much easier. I've used the Foz on a Dynavector 20X2 HO, Soundsmith VPI Zephyr 1, and the Ortolan 2M Black, all with great results.

To calibrate I just follow the instructions included with the unit.I first read about the Soundsmith unit over a year ago, not sure if it's still in development or not.

Lastly, no, I don't use anti skate. I believe Harry probably knows better than I, and he prefers not using it so I don't either.

Well depending on who to believe on this one, Harry says it sounds better without AS. Peter says you would not believe the number of cartridges he has seen under a microscope with one side almost gone from the stylus from lack of AS!!! Now I feel that how could it possibly sound better if properly setup and then one side of the stylus is worn away because no AS was used???

3 hours ago, canyonman said:

Well depending on who to believe on this one, Harry says it sounds better with AS. Peter says you would not believe the number of cartridges he has seen under a microscope with one side almost gone from the stylus from lack of AS!!! Now I feel that how could it possibly sound better if properly setup and then one side of the stylus is worn away because no AS was used???

Interesting.  It seems to me that using the AS would keep the cantilever more centered when the stylus is moving along the groove, creating the friction that pulls the cart and cantilever sideways in the opposite direction as I understand it.  So, I myself would always keep it active in playing records.

However, the AS probably should be disabled while aligning the cantilever.  I have seen it pull the cart to the right (looking at it head-on), displacing the cantilever to one side and messing up the geometry when using a static alignment tool.