Could be a killer deal RF83 RF64ii

W27

I am very tempted to put in that first bid for a hundred just for fun.  I would not expect that to be the winning bid.  But then probably none of you would bother to outbid me and I would be stuck with a HUGE headache.

I have enough headaches as it is.  ^_^

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I am very tempted to put in that first bid for a hundred just for fun.  I would not expect that to be the winning bid.  But then probably none of you would bother to outbid me and I would be stuck with a HUGE headache.

I have enough headaches as it is.  ^_^

If I was closer I would make sure that I didn't miss a real deal. 

1 hour ago, Tasdom said:

Looks like they may have had a non swiveling tv on it that was swiveled often......sad to see abuse like this.

Interesting observation, I would not have figured that out.  There are some dings in the woofer cones as well.  I didn't even see that picture when I first looked at the listing.

I'm sure there is a story here, I wonder what it is?

1 hour ago, steve sells said:

thanks for posting, I cant resist a project like this one...  will take me a while but sonically will be a major upgrade

Are you bidding, Steve?  There are two bidders and the price is up to $102.50!  I was thinking about bidding because I like projects also, but if you are in, I am certainly out. 

Go get 'em.  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

Thanks.

At least you had a budget.  I have done refurb work on large speakers before and to be honest it is a LOT of hard work, in particular hand sanding.  I'm not sure I know how to value them because of all the time and work involved in doing a proper restoration.

I had to look at cost to buy is around  $1300 to $1800 range for these used.

Its about $100 fuel for the 640 mile round trip plus a full day of my life taking off work to sit in traffic to get them if I won.  I set $300 for 3 new grills, $300 for cherry planks for rebuild of cabinets. $100 for finish stain and lacquer.  that didnt leave a lot of room for the Ebay bid before it got too expensive to do it (correctly) and too many people forget the labor is worth something.  Please correct me if my figures are off here. but decided to let it go and wait for better deal on a 63 or 83 upgrade. there is no  hurry

1 hour ago, steve sells said:

I had to look at cost to buy is around  $1300 to $1800 range for these used.

Its about $100 fuel for the 640 mile round trip plus a full day of my life taking off work to sit in traffic to get them if I won.  I set $300 for 3 new grills, $300 for cherry planks for rebuild of cabinets. $100 for finish stain and lacquer.  that didnt leave a lot of room for the Ebay bid before it got too expensive to do it (correctly) and too many people forget the labor is worth something.  Please correct me if my figures are off here. but decided to let it go and wait for better deal on a 63 or 83 upgrade. there is no  hurry

That looks like you put a lot of thought into this and did a good job estimating.  I could figure the RC-64 but I didn't know how to value the RF-83's.

I looked at your round trip of 10 hours to pick up some $100-200 speakers.  I wondered if the math would work out for you as I looked at your situation with the long drive and major overhaul work.  Maybe you could have ended up with a deal but it would only have been by a few hundred bucks after the rehab was done.

I have about a 5 hour round trip from West Virginia and that is a long way to drive to pick up a headache.  That's why I backed out early and I was hoping you could get what you wanted.

If there's one thing I've learned from hanging out on this forum, there's always another deal.  B)

Currently at 4 bidders, $255 and 20 hours left.  We all know the value of the sound those speakers represent.  I guess some others do too. Are any Klipsch Regulars bidding?

With at least a couple of bidders and someone who swoops in at the last ten minutes I am going to say these three speakers go for $400.

List your best guess on the final selling price, or take the Over/under on my guess.

• Like 1

I was tempted as the location is good in Pittsburgh.  My parents live there and my dad refinishes hardwood for a living granted not the same thing but would know how to refinish the boxes.  Biggest thing is with the speakers in that shape I would almost want to hear them before I bidded just because of the shape they are in. still tempting though as I have wanted the 64 for awhile now.

• Like 1

I'm guessing people are bidding for the rf-83. If the pictures are of all the damage, it just looks like one woofer needs to be replaced and a large scratch to fix. 

Personally, I'd say the 64 is junk at this point. So much veneer is missing, and I believe the corners even have a hole in the box. Multiple woofers are damaged and you never know how the rest of the drivers are based on the condition.  

• Like 2