RF-82 II's in da' house!

jdmccall

Purchased from Klipsch and delivered today by Fed-Ex.  Boxes looked like they'd been attacked by Samurai Chef.  Holes, cuts, slashes...yikes!  Speakers seem to be OK other than a tiny abrasion that went through the vinyl on the lower front edge, just behind the grille of one.  A black marker pretty much took care of that.  It can't be seen unless you're looking for it and get within a couple feet of it.  Not worth sending it back, I guess, but still annoying. 

Lots of listening going on!  Crossover to pair of Velodyne DLS4000R's...50Hz, 80Hz...I dunno!  Experimenting...

They don't seem to really have a 98dB sensitivity.  I'd guess closer to 90 than 100.  I'd be interested to know how Klipsch derives their sensitivity figure.

As for sound quality, the jury is still out but I am very encouraged so far.  Very full sounding and smooth across the spectrum.  No "horn colorations" as far as I can tell.  Nice and clean and open!  They sound very...contemporary?  I don't know that they sound as good as any of the heritage speakers I've owned in the past (not that I expect them too, of course! :wacko:) but for the money, pretty impressive!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jdmccall said:

They don't seem to really have a 98dB sensitivity.  I'd guess closer to 90 than 100.  I'd be interested to know how Klipsch derives their sensitivity figure.

From my understanding, corner loaded.  The horns are plenty efficient but the woofers "need" a little help to bring that overall sensitivity average up.

By the way, congrats on the RF-82II's.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

I remember when I got the 82 set up. Dude I was blown away after it was all set up. When its dialed in your going to get the sickness and start the long expensive journey of upgrade fever :D "Seriously run!!!" 

So true.... so true.... started with 52s

6 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

Forgot "Congrats dude"

Thanks..."dude". :)

Been awhile since I had any "big ol' klipsch" in da' house.  Enjoying! :wub:  Would I like a pair of walnut cornwalls again?  Yes!!  Am I worried about it?  No!  Am I keeping my eyes open?  Yes!!!  In the meantime, and however long that may be, I will be making a joyful noise (of sorts) with the RF82 II / Velodyne set-up.  As the wise man once said:  "It's all good".

-The Dude abides

10 minutes ago, jdmccall said:

Interesting, but might make for a rolled off top end, being so far off driver's axis'.  I pretty much always set in the sweet spot anyway and when I don't, I'm usually not focused on sound quality.

How do you like the 62's?

Love them. The best sweet spot is just behind, like 6" behind my head. That extreme toe in is second. 

I'll play with them sometime and try the extreme toe-in.  I just spent hours today trying to get the blend with my subs right.  I don't even want to think about moving anything for awhile!  BTW, you're set-up looks tight!  (I mean that in a good way. :)

Congrats on the new speakers! I'm a firm believer in a break in period of new drivers and components, things usually start to sound better after a few days run time. As far as crossing over the mains I wouldn't do it unless you're playing at extremely high levels and worried about distortion. Full range speakers always sound better to me running full range, even with subs. As far as positioning goes its well worth the effort to experiment with all the available options. That doesn't mean you have to do it all in one day, sometimes its best to move them and listen for a day or two before moving them again. What may sound like a bad move initially may end up sounding good with different source material etc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jdmccall said:

I'll play with them sometime and try the extreme toe-in.  I just spent hours today trying to get the blend with my subs right.  I don't even want to think about moving anything for awhile!  BTW, you're set-up looks tight!  (I mean that in a good way. :)

Thanks! 

I crossover at 80 from my AVR on my subs (2 PSA XS15-SEs) I'm not a fan of how these speakers perform bass at 60hz, but this could just be my room nodes. 

• Like 1

The 82's have a substantial peak in my room in the 50Hz area.  I tried 50 and 80 Hz x/o's but hump was still strong, plus a weakness in the 100-125Hz bands.  Moving x/o up to 100 Hz, combined with careful adjustment of subwoofer phase, really smoothed things out.  Now I'm nice and tight down into the 25Hz band.  Sounding real nice!  I know it seems wrong to run the cross-over so high, but hey, whatever works!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jdmccall said:

The 82's have a substantial peak in my room in the 50Hz area.  I tried 50 and 80 Hz x/o's but hump was still strong, plus a weakness in the 100-125Hz bands.  Moving x/o up to 100 Hz, combined with careful adjustment of subwoofer phase, really smoothed things out.  Now I'm nice and tight down into the 25Hz band.  Sounding real nice!  I know it seems wrong to run the cross-over so high, but hey, whatever works!

Glad ur finding a sweet spot.... im still bouncing around about a month later.

4 hours ago, jdmccall said:

I run Audyssey, and it turns down these speakers A LOT in the 50-60 range. I've heard folks using up to 100, but my subs vanish in my room at 80 just a tad bit more than they would at 100. I also use my speakers for TV and HT, and at 100hz, male voices can give you a headache 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:49 PM, Justus said:

Glad ur finding a sweet spot.... im still bouncing around about a month later.

Bouncing can be fun...or at least, Tigger seems to like it!

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:45 AM, ATLAudio said:

I run Audyssey, and it turns down these speakers A LOT in the 50-60 range. I've heard folks using up to 100, but my subs vanish in my room at 80 just a tad bit more than they would at 100. I also use my speakers for TV and HT, and at 100hz, male voices can give you a headache 

My subs start dropping above 70 Hz regardless of how high above that I might set the x/o.  The 100 Hz x/o does seem to knock down the RF82's 50Hz peak, though. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jdmccall said:

Bouncing can be fun...or at least, Tigger seems to like it!

My subs start dropping above 70 Hz regardless of how high above that I might set the x/o.  The 100 Hz x/o does seem to knock down the RF82's 50Hz peak, though. 

How far are they to the closest wall?