Receiver question

staygroovybaby

Okay here goes, I know I am opening up a can of worms here, but I have to ask.  I run Klipsch heritage speakers.  ( Khorns, La Scalas, Cornwalls ). I am getting to my question just going the long way around, I am currently running Sony str GX10es receivers with my speakers and truly enjoy the sound. Over the years I have tried many amps, & receivers.  I have tried tube gear of various types, did not care for i, don't care for Mcintosh gear, people talk of that buttery, liquid, smooth, mellow sound. Does it actually exist? I run all vintage gear and am not interested in new or pro gear.  Remember the talking heads song Life during wartime I've changed my hair style so many times now that I don't know what I look like.

That is how I feel about stereo gear. And finally my friends,  I have not tried any Marantz gear. Mainly because, the price for the " really good Marantz " is a little pricey.  I know someone is going to pop in and say, if your happy with your Sony receivers then stop looking.  Its just before I pull the trigger on a high quality vintage Marantz , can someone tell me are the heavens going to open up with Marantz.   Or any recommendations for that illusive fluid sound? 

I have owned a few amps like Bryston, Old Fisher's, McIntosh, Outlaw and a few others not worth mentioning. Honestly, they all sounded good in their own way.  But when I treated my room, that was when I could really hear a difference in my setup.  It wasn't until I did this that I could appreciate it. Now I wish I still had all those old amps from the past to give a listen in better dampened area.  People that say amps all sound the same don't have a clue.  I hung on to my Macintosh and even though its a multi channel theater amp, it sounds great to my ears no matter how many channels are active.

I have/had lots of vintage Marantz receivers and integrated amps, including 2230, 2238, 2245, 2252, 2265/B, 2285/B, a 1030, 1060, and a 1250.  Currently own (and use) a 2265B and a 1250, and these two are my favorites out of all that I've had in the past, especially the 1250 integrated amp.

If you are really interested in Marantz units, I would recommend looking for a nice condition (cosmetically and electrically) mid-range unit such as a 2265 or a 1060, and try them out on your Heritage lineup.  If by some slight chance you don't like them (which I doubt), they are easily resold and you can recoup your investment.  

There are other brands/models of vintage receivers I would recommend as well.....Pioneer SX-950, 1050, 1250.  Harman Kardon HK 430 and 730.

Whatever you choose, take your time with them, audition different types of music and volume levels.  Enjoy the ride.

Check out this link for specs, etc.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

• Like 1

Just now, jimjimbo said:

I have/had lots of vintage Marantz receivers and integrated amps, including 2230, 2238, 2245, 2252, 2265/B, 2285/B, a 1030, 1060, and a 1250.  Currently own (and use) a 2265B and a 1250, and these two are my favorites out of all that I've had in the past, especially the 1250 integrated amp.

If you are really interested in Marantz units, I would recommend looking for a nice condition (cosmetically and electrically) mid-range unit such as a 2265 or a 1060, and try them out on your Heritage lineup.  If by some slight chance you don't like them (which I doubt), they are easily resold and you can recoup your investment.  

There are other brands/models of vintage receivers I would recommend as well.....Pioneer SX-950, 1050, 1250.  Harman Kardon HK 430 and 730.

Whatever you choose, take your time with them, audition different types of music and volume levels.  Enjoy the ride.

Check out this link for specs, etc.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

jimjimbo

I have been on the ride for many years. Funny you mentioned Pioneer sx-950, a friend of mine has one straight out of the shop. I think I will jump on it I have been listening to music since the hippie days.  I have already taken the ride. Remember Hunter S Thompson,  Buy the ticket take the ride, each time the ticket gets more expensive and the ride gets less exciting.  I guess I be buying the tickets the rest of my life, in search for the excitement.  Thanks for your comments

• Like 1

If it was me and I didn't want to go with separates, I'd get a good tube integrated (perhaps a PrimaLuna) and work on getting the rest of my system to exploit the sound I wanted. (Sorry but I don't have much love for the sound of vintage SS receivers). 

On 12/1/2016 at 6:17 PM, staygroovybaby said:

Okay here goes, I know I am opening up a can of worms here, but I have to ask.  I run Klipsch heritage speakers.  ( Khorns, La Scalas, Cornwalls ). I am getting to my question just going the long way around, I am currently running Sony str GX10es receivers with my speakers and truly enjoy the sound. Over the years I have tried many amps, & receivers.  I have tried tube gear of various types, did not care for i, don't care for Mcintosh gear, people talk of that buttery, liquid, smooth, mellow sound. Does it actually exist? I run all vintage gear and am not interested in new or pro gear.  Remember the talking heads song Life during wartime I've changed my hair style so many times now that I don't know what I look like.

That is how I feel about stereo gear. And finally my friends,  I have not tried any Marantz gear. Mainly because, the price for the " really good Marantz " is a little pricey.  I know someone is going to pop in and say, if your happy with your Sony receivers then stop looking.  Its just before I pull the trigger on a high quality vintage Marantz , can someone tell me are the heavens going to open up with Marantz.   Or any recommendations for that illusive fluid sound? 

I think that the Yamaha integrates are just as good and cheaper pound for pound.

Give an old H/K 430 twin-powered receiver a try...lots cheaper than anything Marantz...and sounds as good or better through Heritage speakers.  In its day, the H/K 430 outsold every other stereo receiver on the planet...for good reason!  If 25 WPC isn't enough for you, then you can go up the line to the 730 or 930.

Marantz Solid State had a good name, but after Saul got booted out of the company he started, the build quality was never reliable from month to month...or year to year.  Lots of folks thought anything Marantz was the cat's meow...but I never was actually that impressed with it...especially considering it was way more expensive than it should have been.

Now, if you're talking Marantz tube amps, that's a whole different story!  Even so, I would STILL rather have an H/K Citation V, or better yet...an H/K Citation II amp, myself!  I actually prefer tube stuff that is NOT so "colored" as what many tube-heads desire.