Tractrix

Mallette

Roy is brilliant in his own right, but like John Eargle...and me, and many others, he was inspired by PWK.  For me, it just made me into an music lover that says "If it ain't Klipsch, it's krap."  Roy had the smarts to take the ball from PWK and run with it.  He's done it in so many great designs! 

Dave

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Roy had the smarts to take the ball from PWK and run with it.  He's done it in so many great designs! 

I have not seen that, I like it. 

He has designed many great horns and speakers, and just as important as the smarts he has the passion. 

We don't always talk about audio, but somehow it always goes back to that in the end. 

You know when you think about your friends, some just stand out as people you are better for knowing, Roy is one of them. 

That 20% to which Roy refers, I believe, includes wisdom that PWK imparted to those that were ready to hear it.   PWK apparently didn't talk about just what that 20% consisted of, but apparently only alluded to it.

CRW_2205.gif

After a few years of studying PWK's and Roy's designs, changing out drivers and horns, inserting active crossovers and trying different settings, gathering measurement data, and correlating that data with extended listening over days, weeks, and months, it's clear to me that PWK marched to a different drummer than the average loudspeaker engineer...as does Roy.  There are things that were done that no one has yet talked about...and especially about why they were done.

I have to say that there are some very subtle things that most people will not see that's perhaps the last 5% of that 20%...that takes the willingness to see, hear, and to believe...after the ears hear it.  Take PWK's discussions on the various forms of distortion (especially the audibility of bass modulation distortion generated by loudspeakers).  This realization has failed to penetrate the belief systems of most people, I've found, even those that frequent this forum...and some who consider themselves to be experts. 

I know that John Eargle and Floyd Toole apparently never got that message (or convinced themselves that the solution was "too big for the consumer").  These were otherwise smart guys.

Chris