Winter Holiday Travel in the Great White North

Wolfbane

Number 1 daughter was booked to fly home to Calgary (from Kingston, Ontario with a stop in Toronto) next Monday for the holidays. She finished her rotation on Wednesday, wrote an exam on Thursday and decided to change her flight to return today. She gets to the airport where her flight gets delayed for hours before they finally takeoff 3 hours or so late. She falls asleep on the plane only to wake up just as the plane lands back in Kingston. Due to freezing rain in Toronto the pilot decided he could not land. She's back at her place in Kingston and has been rebooked to return to Calgary at 5:45AM tomorrow.

To make her day I sent her this clip on the joys of holiday travel:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

My daughter arrived last night, just in time for dinner. Only 36 hours to cross the country.

...only.

I go out of my to avoid the Toronto airport if I can. Living in Kingston she might be better off going through Ottawa in the future. Most flights heading to Calgary from there have very short stops in Winnipeg - half the time you dont even have to get off the plane. I find the Ottawa airport a breeze to go through. As well - speaking from my neck of the woods, we have a direct flight from Yellowknife to and from Ottawa.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YK Thom said:

Air Canada...did her bags make it? Ha!

Yes, with a delay finding them as they came on an earlier plane from Toronto. Picked up a friend at the airport last night, he flew United and we had over an hour wait for his bags. Xmas rush is underway.

5 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The best and safest plane in the world was the Canadian Twin Otter with the two overhead engines and optional skies.

JJK

Flown on Twin Otters many times as company policy is two engines for travel. Also the Twin Otter is the work horse of the North.

18 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The best and safest plane in the world was the Canadian Twin Otter with the two overhead engines and optional skies.

JJK

We still travel with them here in the Territories. A lot of the old planes are still in service by wheel, ski and float depending on the season. I spend a lot of time in the communities as part of my job. You get it or you don't, but once the north is in your blood you can't shake it.

5 hours ago, YK Thom said:

We still travel with them here in the Territories. A lot of the old planes are still in service by wheel, ski and float depending on the season. I spend a lot of time in the communities as part of my job. You get it or you don't, but once the north is in your blood you can't shake it.

One thing I liked was if you lost both engines it would just float down like a big fat duck then land like nothing happened.

JJK

• Like 1