Help Setting Up Family Room

miliellie111

Hi all, I'm new here but I have been reading through the forum for months researching and this seems like a great community. I have never owned Klipsch speakers before but heard my buddy's RF7II's in his basement recently and was impressed. I just moved into a new place and would like to get a 5.1 setup in our family room. The room is not huge but a nice size. I've attached a picture of the room. I have a 60" Samsung that will go above the fireplace. I would like to put a center channel speaker underneath the TV right above the fireplace mantle. The mantle is only 8" deep so would there be a good center channel thin enough to rest on the mantle? If not, what center channel do you recommend (not rear ported since it will be mounted with it's back to the wall) and what mounting options do I have for that setup?

I got a price quote for $1800 for a pair of new RF7 II's and $850 for a pair of RP-280f's. The front speakers will be placed in the left and right front corners of the room toed in. What do you recommend? The RF7 II's would be huge in that room! Are the 280's a good compromise for $1,000 less? Not going to be listening at reference levels (2 babies in the house). And what do you recommend as rear surround speakers and a sub? I would like something that I would be happy with, but don't want to spend a ton as I have spent enough already moving and getting stuff for the house. Also, do you recommend Acoustic Sound Design or Sound Distributors for best prices/ordering?

Sorry for all of the questions but thanks for everyone's help!

Family Room 1.jpg

Miliellie111,

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice room.  I think your plan sounds great.  If $$$ permits, get the RF7II.  The RC-64II is the matching center channel but is pretty deep at 13".  Is it possible to replace the mantel with a deeper one to accommodate the 64?

What are the dimensions(L x W x H) of the room?

Bill

29 minutes ago, willland said:

Miliellie111,

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice room.  I think your plan sounds great.  If $$$ permits, get the RF7II.  The RC-64II is the matching center channel but is pretty deep at 13".  Is it possible to replace the mantel with a deeper one to accommodate the 64?

What are the dimensions(L x W x H) of the room?

Bill

Thanks Bill. The RC-64 RF-7 setup would be a dream, however right now budget is tight and I don't think I would need anything that big in the family room. Plus I wouldn't want to have to go through the trouble of modifying the mantle. There is a nice sized finished basement so I might go that route for a theater downstairs. Attached are the dimensions 

IMG_1185.JPG

That is a nice room. 

If I were starting from scratch, think long and hard before you buy new. Look to the secondary market first. Craigslist, Audiogon, Ebay, Klipsch forum Garage sale page, AVS forums, Emotiva Forums. Your money will go so much further and you'll have more time to save / research what you really want. 

This is just my opinion after years of buying / selling / upgrading in this hobby... Oh, and DIY subwoofers are the ultimate.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  All 6 of my Klipsch systems currently in my home were purchased used.  Nothing wrong with buying new.  Just too many sweet deals in Florida for me to pass up.  I'm sure no dealer would have sold this system to me for $2000.

Complete-Klipsch-RF-7-II-System-Sm.jpg

• Like 1

If the 450 RP center will fit on the mantel, OK but, hiding the wire may be a problem. Just use a phantom center and you should be good for TV and music.  I would keep aesthetics in mind and forget using a dedicated center upstairs. You mentioned a basement for a more optimal setup down the road.  That would be a nice option and hopefully not have placement restrictions that are hard to work around.

On 1/6/2017 at 3:24 PM, Youthman said:

Welcome to the forums.  All 6 of my Klipsch systems currently in my home were purchased used.  Nothing wrong with buying new.  Just too many sweet deals in Florida for me to pass up.  I'm sure no dealer would have sold this system to me for $2000.

Complete-Klipsch-RF-7-II-System-Sm.jpg

Thanks Youthman. I've seen your YouTube video. Impressive setup. Unfortunately, there are no deals like that I've seen in the Washington DC metro area.

On 1/6/2017 at 8:08 PM, derrickdj1 said:

If the 450 RP center will fit on the mantel, OK but, hiding the wire may be a problem. Just use a phantom center and you should be good for TV and music.  I would keep aesthetics in mind and forget using a dedicated center upstairs. You mentioned a basement for a more optimal setup down the road.  That would be a nice option and hopefully not have placement restrictions that are hard to work around.

Thanks Derrickdj1. Yes this room will primarily be for music and tv however occasional movie watching will be in the mix. How does a phantom center work for movies and is a dedicated center channel a must? I'm coming from and only familiar with a cheap Sony HTIB as my previous setup. The RP450 center channel would hang over the mantle as it is close to 15 inches deep and the mantle is only 8 inches deep. There is a media stand right next to the fireplace that will house my cable box and avr. Temporarily a tv sits on top now but will be gone soon when the new tv gets mounted. Would it look weird to have a center channel on the top of that stand? Of course it would not be directly center in front of the sofa. Or is the phantom center still the better option? Pic attached.

IMG_0318.JPG

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, miliellie111 said:

Thanks Youthman. I've seen your YouTube video. Impressive setup. Unfortunately, there are no deals like that I've seen in the Washington DC metro area.

Thanks.  These RF-82's aren't RF-7ii but are still a great speaker at a very affordable price. 

4hr away are a pair of RF-7, RC-7 and RSW-15 for $2200.  That would be a killer front soundstage and sub for a few hundred over what you were quoted for just a pair of RF-7ii.  Use searchtempest to search from your zip code.  If you don't have good deals near you and are willing to make a road trip, you can find some great deals.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Thanks.  These RF-82's aren't RF-7ii but are still a great speaker at a very affordable price. 

4hr away are a pair of RF-7, RC-7 and RSW-15 for $2200.  That would be a killer front soundstage and sub for a few hundred over what you were quoted for just a pair of RF-7ii.  Use searchtempest to search from your zip code.  If you don't have good deals near you and are willing to make a road trip, you can find some great deals.

Thanks Youthman for the links! I've heard the RF-82's are a little on the bright and harsh side and can be fatiguing. I was drawn to the RP line because i heard the RP line is more musical and the horn was improved from the reference line to be less fatiguing. And I heard the RF-7 does not exhibit the harshness of it's miniature RF-82 sibling. Can you give me your thoughts?

48 minutes ago, miliellie111 said:

There is a media stand right next to the fireplace that will house my cable box and avr. Temporarily a tv sits on top now but will be gone soon when the new tv gets mounted. Would it look weird to have a center channel on the top of that stand?

Yes.  Being a very symmetrical room as it is, it would look awfully goofy with the center speaker off kilter like that let alone maybe sound a bit off.  I say get another matching media stand for the left side of fireplace and go find a way for the center to go above/on the mantel or go phantom center.

How far back is your fireplace flue in reference to the mantel?  If it is recessed back 6-8 inches maybe you could cutout a space for your center speaker to recess back into the wall some.

Bill

• Moderators
1 hour ago, miliellie111 said:

I've heard the RF-82's are a little on the bright and harsh side and can be fatiguing.

The time I heard them demoed, I didn't think so but I tend to like a brighter sound myself.

I was drawn to the RP line because i heard the RP line is more musical and the horn was improved from the reference line to be less fatiguing.

I personally have not demoed any of the RP Series so I cannot comment on how they sound.

And I heard the RF-7 does not exhibit the harshness of it's miniature RF-82 sibling.

I would think it's the opposite.  The RF-7's are known for being bright and harsh at loud volumes and can be ear fatiguing at high volumes.  I have not heard that about the RF-82. 

If you are looking for a more refined sound, take a look at this thread where I compared the RF-7, RF-7ii and the RF-83.

The RF-7 definitely has the brightest sound, the RF-83 has the smoothest while the RF-7ii to my ears is the best of both worlds....very detailed without being too bright or harsh.

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-1.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks Youthman for the links! I've heard the RF-82's are a little on the bright and harsh side and can be fatiguing. I was drawn to the RP line because i heard the RP line is more musical and the horn was improved from the reference line to be less fatiguing. And I heard the RF-7 does not exhibit the harshness of it's miniature RF-82 sibling. Can you give me your thoughts?

One other thought......notice the bold text in the quote above?  The absolute best advice I can give you is to see if you can find a local dealer or another forum member that has any of those speakers so you can hear for yourself.  That was my main objective for purchasing all of the speakers in the list below.  I wanted to hear as many Klipsch speakers in my own home, with my own ears with my own gear.  Because the reality is we all hear differently.  What seems bright to you might sound like nirvana to me. 

speaker-list-12-14-16.jpg

13 hours ago, willland said:

Yes.  Being a very symmetrical room as it is, it would look awfully goofy with the center speaker off kilter like that let alone maybe sound a bit off.  I say get another matching media stand for the left side of fireplace and go find a way for the center to go above/on the mantel or go phantom center.

How far back is your fireplace flue in reference to the mantel?  If it is recessed back 6-8 inches maybe you could cutout a space for your center speaker to recess back into the wall some.

Bill

Thanks Bill. The mantel hangs out 8 inches over the gas fireplace. What would you suggest if I wanted to wall mount right above the mantel (of course the center would hang out a little over the mantel) RP-250C, RP-440C, or RP-450C? Would it even work with these being rear ported?

Will it still sound good for movies without a center channel with just either RF7-ii's or RP-280fs up front in the corners of the room?

Thanks