Audio Control-Phase Coupled Activator

Sid K

Just wondering if anyone has or had a unit like this hooked up to your Klipsch speakers?

I have had one for several years.

It restores the bass lost in the recording process for cd's for example.

I wouldn't know what to do without it.

I thought it may be a good topic for anyone depressed about not getting enough bass from their speakers without using a subwoofer.

Thanks.

I used mine with a subwoofer, but never used the phase-coupling switch much. I got it cheap and it wasn't a bad active crossover for a subwoofer. I liked the idea of using a socket with resistors, to pick about any crossover point.

It still was under warranty when I bought it. So I mentioned the PS xformer mechanically buzzes, so they sent another one. And it buzzed as well. I just isolated and damped the xformer the best I could and gave up.

It wasn't really built much in the way of high quality, kinda cheapish...it eventually quit working... 

Most Klipsch speakers due to efficiency do not require alot of cone excursion the Audio Control PCA III will generate alot of additional cone movement.  (Be careful not to dial too much in) It is more designed for subwoofers but tends to be more of a one note wonder.  I used the automotive equivalent "The Epicenter" and it really did help on recordings that were bass shy.  A far better choice would be the DBX 120X-DS as it can tailor the frequencies impacted with the four front mounted trim controls.  The internal crossover on the DBX unit is continuously variable from 50-200Hz while the PCA unit is fixed (unless you have different frequency chips) I found it to sound far better than the PCA unit.

DBX 120X-DS.jpg

• Like 1

" for anyone depressed about not getting enough bass from their speakers "

My Neighbor complaints have been for Bass, not volume/Mid's/High's/ or even my selection of music.

Im always down to try something "New" i think i'll sit this one out. 

Edit:

Gave it a moments thought, as to WHY? i have more than enough Bass.

12 X 15" is what i fire up here, never really thought about it till now :rolleyes:

• Like 1

No, the 120A was not made by the old DBX consumer group they were bought out by Harman International many years ago.  Find a nice used 120X-DS on eBay instead.  It is more of a bass restorer it adds back what was stripped in the recording engineering process.  You can dial in the amount you want.  It can take a 55-110Hz bass signal and synthesize it down a full octave to 28Hz-55Hz completely adjustable and by-passable.  If you want to add some impact and realism along with the bass response add a 3BX-DS 3-band Dynamic Range Controller and prepare to be amazed.

dbx_3bx-ds_3-band_dynamic_range_controller.jpg

• Like 1

" A Waves MaxxBass would work better and not kill off speakers if I understand correctly how it works. "

They do different things, and feel very different.

The Audio Control sounds better than the DBX.

I also own a Rolls Bottom Feeder.

I will be building a boom-box with a Waves MaxxBass (by PPI).

• Like 1