Rescued La Scala Rehab Thread

SiliconTi

More info here for the back story:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...-do-i-put-in-them.752078/page-2#post-10213667

Basically, a guy that used to rent audio systems to clubs, bars etc.. is clearing out his old cabinet inventory. Poorly listed on CL, I just tripped over the ad accidentally. Said they were empty cabs covered in carpet, so I though they were Pros. They are not - raw birch with the mid horn and driver still installed and some Motorola tweeters installed. No woofers. AA crossovers still there. Total cost: $0. Yup, they were free, only about a 45 minute drive away. I could not get out of his driveway fast enough. The plan is to use:

Crites crossover rebuild kits for the AA crossover

Crites CT125 Tweeters

Crites K-55-V Diaphrams (One is weak).

Klispch K-33 Woofer, factory new.

Now, on the cabs, I'm not sure yet. Maybe a re-veneer with 1/2" or 3/4" plywood with Birch or Rosewood veneer. I may also just use auto body filler to smooth them off and paint them adding the "triangle" reinforcements in the doghouse. I have seen black and white ones, but I was thinking a nice dark red in a matte finish. Maybe a vinyl finish. Dunno yet...

Found one badge jammed in a horn. Will need to source another.

I pulled them apart, so here are some "before" pictures:

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0027-1.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Edited by SiliconTi

1 minute ago, SiliconTi said:

I ended up leaving the cabinets alone except for a light sand an some Howard's. I wanted then to still have a story.

As I read your original restore post WRT veneering I wanted to tell you that might not be necessary.  Mustang Guy has one of the best RESTORE threads I've ever seen and it was on the LS. 

Even as rough as your cabs look they can be brought back better than you would ever believe.  I'll try to dig up that thread, just for your consideration.

No problem on telling the story.  My diploma from college went through a fire and looks terrible but I didn't get a new pretty one or take the smoke damage off the metal frame for the same reason, it tells a story and is part of the fabric of my life.

+++

If you don't mind I'd like to post the link to the Mustang Guy restore thread because it was so hard to find!  He spelled "La Scala" as one word, making it impossible to search on!  One would think he would know better.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

They are done! Just finished the new '55 diaphragms. Wow, even at insanely low volume, they sound great. Glad I replaced both, now the tone matches side to side. Need to get some power into them and really give them a workout.

I may have to bring my Haffler HF-220 home so I can test the living room, my listening room is a touch too small for these.

YAY!

OK, so I hooked them up to the Hafler 220 with my Nakamichi 410 preamp. Nice!

I can see why people complain about the lack of bass. I'll let them break in a bit and see if it gets better.  My home listen room is way too small for these, so I'll not really be able to open them up until I get them to the office.

They do sound different - I am used to direct drivers, this is my first pair of horns. So far, I like!

• Like 1

Glad you're liking them!

My opinion, (presuming they're playing as designed) you won't get much (any) improvement in the deep bass.  They will excel at punching you in the gut with midbass (crank up a good drum solo and you'll find out what I mean)

The key is, what you hear will be clean sounding.  Once you get accustomed to what you're hearing, you can go back to some direct/radiator speakers and hear more 'mush' (for lack of better word) in the bass department.

Hi Coytee, I agree completely.

They are actually too efficient - on my preamp, the fist volume step it very loud with these, need a pre without a stepped value control.

They are very accurate - if the sound is in the recording you will hear it. I have one Flogging Molly track, "Float" that has some very subtle symbols in it - none of my other speakers can project them very well, but these do. 

As far as bass goes, if it is in the track, it is there. I am finding that true bass instruments sound great, computer generated bass that focuses in the lowest octave do not. I think I can live with that, especially since I know of no subwoofer that would match them well without selling off my car to buy it.

I need to get these to my office an onto my Mac 4100 and see what they can really do.

You may want to try pulling the mids down a couple of db. Not sure what autotransformer you have on your crossovers (AA crossovers?)

To me, and many others, it balances out tonal characteristics of the La Scalas, and will also give you a feeling of more bass.

Bruce

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiliconTi said:

The room they are in is simply too small for them...

The largest room mine have been in is 13x21. A large room won't give you more bass and can end up with the LS "chainsaw in the forehead" headache from overpowering mids. However... they are yours and you are hearing them.

Love that you left them with all their imperfections. :D

Bruce

So, I finally just moved them from the listening room to the living room. Fortunately WAF is not an issue - my wife does not care :-).

And the verdict: they sound terrible. Ran them for a few hours, but sound like they are running out of phase. 

Just ran an test on a different amp - one of the mids sounds great, the other awful, very "horny". Sounds like a PA speaker. I'll change out the transformer as the cap is new. I have a spare transformer that came with the speakers (now I know why).

I'll report back.