HK 430 Noise, RCA cables?

vondy

So I've noticed some noise coming from my Fortes with the with no music playing. Volume doesn't make a difference. If I unplug the RCA cables from the AUX it goes away. Both speakers, doesn't matter what input the knob is turned too. Doesn't matter if the cables are plugged into anything else either.

I've tried different cables, the best being Monoprice's "premium" version. Those are like $3 cables. All make noise.

Now I'm not a cable guy but I know quality RCA cables in car audio make a difference with noise. Should I spend a bit extra on these? Any recommendations?

Left and right channels?  Turn the balance control.  Anything ever been done to the HK?  Controls cleaned?  RCA jacks cleaned?

PM me your address and I'll send you a set of RCA cables with my compliments.  If you like them, keep them.  If you don't, keep them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Are the cable jacks touching in the back by any chance?

Nah. I held the cables apart, moved them around, tried to make sure they were not close to any other cables, etc.

This sound is pretty faint, you have have your ear right in front of the speaker. If I unplug the cables, there is a slight hiss which I just attribute to the vintage amp not being dead quite. With the cables plugged in, the hiss becomes more of a crackle.

You can't hear it form the MLP but I don't know if it's "messing" with the sound in any other way.

I PM'd you, let me know if you didn't get it.

Sounds like you likely have an issue with the source switch...needs cleaning...or maybe one or more of the pots.  Also do a check of the fuses...be advised there are LOTS of fuses in the unit...and it may be as simple as replacing a pair of fuses to going all the way on a good cleaning of the fuse connectors.  Most likely the switch cleaning will solve the issue, though.  The amp should not be causing the "hiss, which becomes a crackle"...that is coming from somewhere else most likely...source or preamp section.  Do the source switch cleaning first.

• Like 1

Andy is spot on.....clean all the controls...take some emery cloth to the RCA jacks they make a tool to clean those I saw some where. May I ask in what range was the cost to refurbish it ? I got one I would love to keep cause I love the sound of it.

I did have some RCA cables cause me some problems but traced it to mouse chewed on the insulation...lol 

1 hour ago, ricktate said:

Andy is spot on.....clean all the controls...take some emery cloth to the RCA jacks they make a tool to clean those I saw some where. May I ask in what range was the cost to refurbish it ? I got one I would love to keep cause I love the sound of it.

I did have some RCA cables cause me some problems but traced it to mouse chewed on the insulation...lol

I normally use one of those scotch-brite pads to clean the RCA connections OUTSIDES on the back of equipment.  You're just looking to remove oxidation from them, NOT to get down to "shiny" bare metal.  After cleaning them, then use some "canned air" to ensure you get them blown off (and blown out to ensure good connection on the interior of the RCA connector)...but use q-tip with deoxit on it to clean the interior connection for the RCA jacks on the rear of the unit....or a pipe cleaner is even better.  Q-tips and pipe cleaners are indispensable cleaning tools on equipment.  BE SURE THAT NOTHING IS PLUGGED IN while doing this!!   The older S/S units like the H/K 430 twin-powered receivers need to be powered up by having the volume all the way down and the speaker switches off, then hit the power button....wait a minute or so, then turn on the speaker switch/switches, wait another minute or so, then turn the volume up...powering down is the reverse of this sequence.  Older S/S units take time for the electricity to get from one point to another...and this saves damage to the unit and to the speakers.  Also, due the caps in them, if you don't turn the volume down, then the speakers off, prior to powering them down...there will often be a "bawoomf" sound coming through the speakers (woofers) as the caps dump energy....the higher the volume is, the louder the sound there will be.  Be kind to older S/S equipment AND your speakers!

1 hour ago, ricktate said:

I think I paid the guy $150 -$100 for the refurbish. It was a spare time gig for him and it took several months. I'm sure it would be much more if you sent it out to a full time pro.

I'll deoxit again, have done so several times over the last several years.

Yeah I always leave the volume down when turning on. There's all sorts of noise at startup, especially with the volume nob. It goes away shortly after. Now it's just the slight hiss and buzz from the Aux input. None of the controls seem to effect the buzz, other than clicking off Speaker A, all noise goes away. The High Cut Filter also cuts the hiss down if I push it.

I just put in those LED panel lights and new dial indicator light. While I had it apart I cleaned all the controls and I think it may even sound better than it did ...could be just me though. But if anyone is debating those LED lights ...buy them it looks awesome now. Those old fuse type lamps burn out on a regular basis.

I just put in those LED panel lights and new dial indicator light. While I had it apart I cleaned all the controls and I think it may even sound better than it did ...could be just me though. But if anyone is debating those LED lights ...buy them it looks awesome now. Those old fuse type lamps burn out on a regular basis.

Did you happen to take pics or do a walk-through on replacing them? I have at least one light still out.

No I did not but its not hard to do. I found the link from a post to get the LEDs. Its not to hard to do,,, take off front panel for the dial indicator, the dial face lights can be installed with out taking front panel off.

Those old style lamps do not last long. In fact I think the LEDs were cheaper than the old bulbs from parts express.

52 minutes ago, ricktate said:

No I did not but its not hard to do. I found the link from a post to get the LEDs. Its not to hard to do,,, take off front panel for the dial indicator, the dial face lights can be installed with out taking front panel off.

Those old style lamps do not last long. In fact I think the LEDs were cheaper than the old bulbs from parts express.

Do you happen to have a link to the LEDs you used?

Thanks guys!

http://www.vintage-electronics.net/ledfusestylelampwarmwhite.aspx    dial panel

http://www.vintage-electronics.net/8vledsub-minilamp.aspx           tuner needle

http://www.vintage-electronics.net/sub-mini-lamp-6-3v-35ma.aspx      stereo beacon

Makes it look brand new. I did not need the stereo beacon but I ordered 4 of everything and 12 of the LED fuse lamps. Takes 6 to replace all the fuse lamps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ricktate said:

http://www.vintage-electronics.net/8vledsub-minilamp.aspx           tuner needle

http://www.vintage-electronics.net/sub-mini-lamp-6-3v-35ma.aspx      stereo beacon

Makes it look brand new. I did not need the stereo beacon but I ordered 4 of everything and 12 of the LED fuse lamps. Takes 6 to replace all the fuse lamps.

Good LED replacements will highly likely last about 10-20 times as long as the old wheat-bulb items originally used for some of this.  They should also be brighter and they will draw less power then the original stuff.  Those beacon lamps are cool...my old Grundig Majestic table-top radio has a beacon tube-lamp for tuning...very cool...but replacements are very expensive.  I spent most of my early life listening to that Grundig all night long...2nd grade through high school.  I still can't sleep well without something on...tv, radio, whatever.  Crickets and such make up for having no electronics for getting me to sleep when camping.

8 hours ago, ricktate said:

Thanks for the links!

Why did you order 4 of everything? Do you need 4 or did you just want extras? Seems like you need 1 tuner, 1 stereo beacon and 6 fuse, correct?

Thanks again!

I got a couple HK receivers here sons and another 430. I also figured the shipping was gonna be the same no matter what. So I ordered extra. I would like to keep this 430 going as long as possible. I just got a ST-70 tube amp and it sounds just like the HK I think. But the st-70 has more power and it does have BASS no matter what people tell you.