Do I need a amp

I realize excellent sound quality with RF-7 II when driven by an 8wpc single-ended-pentode amp.   Yes, there is more impact with a 55wpc KT88 push-pull amp, but the idea that you need a huge amount to power to deliver beautiful music via a speaker that is rated at 101dB is IME false.   (Bear in mind that "tube watts" go farther than "solid-state watts" due to different clipping characteristics.  In other words, you'll need a solid-state amp with a higher wpc rating compared with a tube amp to deliver comparable performance.  Some solid-state amps employ anti-clipping circuitry that is intended to avoid distortion associated with being over-driven.)

How large is your room?  How loud is "loud?"

How many channels are you driving with your 9.2 channel Yamaha amp?   (The more channels you use, the less power available for the two front main speakers.  Your amp's spec of 140wpc is for 2 channels in use.)

Are the RF-7II new, or used?   (Could they be "fried" from earlier abuse?)

Bottom line, at any reasonable listening level in an average size listening room, 140wpc is more than ample power for the RF-7II.  If you are hearing distortion, something is wrong (i.e., you're not realizing undistorted 140wpc from your amp, or something is not working properly).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Silverfoxvtx1800 said:

The room is 12x24  It is the same in 2 channel or 9 channel. The speakers are 7 days old The receiver is new too...both speakers act the same

I'm not an expert on AVRs, but I'm quite certain that your Yamaha amp does NOT put out the same amount of power when driving 9.2 channels as when it is driving 2 channels.  According to Yamaha's web site, 140wpc is based on:  "Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)"

I'm afraid that I can't relate to an indicated -50dB.  (Ignorance on my part - none of my amps have such a read-out.)

Nonetheless, it's difficult to imagine that in a 12x24 room that your Yamaha amp - if functioning properly - has audible distortion when driving the RF-7II.   Bear in mind that the 101dB sensitivity rating of the RF-7II involves a logarithmic scale - i.e., the RF-7II require much less power than most speakers.  And the RF-7II are capable of playing pretty-doggone loud in an average size room

Something seems amiss.  Do you have access to another amp that you can try?

I'm heading to the basement to listen to my RF-7II via an 8wpc SEP tube amp ...

Do you need an amp?  HHHmmmmm.

If your system is lacking good power, I am in the amp camp so if I was in your position, I would get an amp.  Not trying to spend your money but good wattage is cheap, especially on the used market.

Now is the distortion you are experiencing caused by the lack of power from the Yamaha, that is hard to say.  That model Yamaha has a pretty beefy amp section for an upper midlevel AVR but from my experience, most just don't have the needed oooomph to "properly" drive 7+ speakers to high volumes in a larger room.  Your room is on the medium size and if you are getting audible distortion with just the RF-7II's playing, then you may have something going on with the Yamaha.

21 minutes ago, robert_kc said:

I'm not an expert on AVRs, but I'm quite certain that your Yamaha amp does NOT put out the same amount of power when driving 9.2 channels as when it is driving 2 channels.  According to Yamaha's web site, 140wpc is based on:  "Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)"

True.  Spec'd at 140W/channel@8ohms in stereo full band.

Bill

Here is a bench test for the RXA2050, close enough

2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 177.6 watts
5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 101.4 watts
7 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 54.2 watts

Good thing they didn't bench it with all nine as the power is dropping significantly, yamaha and harman kardon seem to be worst avr's in all channel driven tests, from what I've looked up.  95% of the time this won't matter, and your amp is an excellent amp.  All manufacturing co are playing with advertised specs WPC

Anyways that was just for information as you thought 2channel and 9 channel are same power.

Something is wrong for sure.

1.  Are you just running 2 speakers
2. Have you ran room correction with the set up mic
3. Have you double checked your positive to negative connections and polarity?
4. What is the source that you are trying to play,and how is it connected (analog, dig coax, hdmi, optical). 
5. Do all sources have the same distortion, or are you having problems with just one.

Answer some of these and we may be able to help

4 hours ago, Silverfoxvtx1800 said:

....it's going to be a pain to send these heavy buggers back

Are you talking about returning the RF-7II?  There are very few speakers that are more efficient (i.e., will play louder with your Yamaha amp).

Do you have another set of speakers that you can use to test the amp?

It's unlikely that you received 2 defective RF-7II.   More likely that something is wrong with the amp.

Does your Yamaha have anti-clipping protection?   You might google "can clipping damage tweeters", or "can too little power damage speakers".   It seems unlikely that you've fried the high frequency drivers in the RF-7II via your Yamaha amp, but it might be possible.  Do others have thoughts on this?

5 hours ago, Silverfoxvtx1800 said:

It's sounds ok at low levels it's starts to sound bad at 28 on the tv sound scale....I do not have another receiver to try my cheap Sony gave up on me....it's going to be a pain to send these heavy buggers back

What is this?  What setup are you using? why are using the TV as volume control?   There is more to this than you have explained. 

how is your audio or video source connected to your receiver?   Something going on here. Your amp has ample power. Dont get rid of your amp or speakers untill you figure whats wrong.  I doubt its the amp or speakers but rather the way you connected things

I'd bet he hooked the speakers up to the TV.

Silverfox--ONE cable comes from the TV into the AVR

If you have a cable box or dish box--ONE cable from there to AVR input.

Speakers connect to AVR--be careful with volume --keep it turned down

when turning on. Pretty Simple.

If that Yamaha has an impedance selector switch on the back, put it in the "high" or 8 ohm setting.  That will allow the Yamaha to deliver full rated power (although it will run hotter, too).  Some of the Yamaha AVRs have over-eager protections circuitry, too, and given the rapidly dropping output power into increasing number of channels, dollars to donuts you're clipping that sucker.  Seems to be a good case where off-loading the L/C/R to a good three channel, or even just the L and R to a good two channel amp, makes a bit of sense.

Something is most likely going on with the setup or amp.  I have a cheap Sony that drove my RF 7 system without problems(7.1).  The room is not that big and the 7's should be playing in 2 ch without distortion.  Once you go beyond 7.1, and out board amp can come in handy.  Set the speakers to SMALL and see if the problem persist.