Woofers and Subwoofers

mr clean

In this post the woofer I'm talking about is my toy fox terrier gracie. I don't run my stereo loud when she's in the house. I don't have kids so she gets treated really well! I am wanting a subwoofer for my system but not if it will bother her. I have a small sub on the tv but that does not bother her. Looking at a 10 or 12 inch hsu but wonder if thats smart with a small dog who's 10 years old this year. Music sounds great without a sub but I do like bass but not more than what sounds balanced. Any one have small pets and do you have any problems?  

My dad has two 15 inch subwoofers and I have two mini dachshunds I went to visit him and we were watching san andreas.  Granted both of my dogs hate vacuums and other loud noises but during the movie they actually walked behind the subwoofer and didn't seem to phase them I didn't realize they were back there so I called them to come back to me but didn't seem to bother them.

• Like 2

I've never had a dog or cat who was bothered by subwoofers, but I have heard about them scratching, butting, or actually eating subwoofer cones (when the subs were off and therefore silent).  There is something about the smell of subwoofers that intrigues them.  Maybe it's the rubber surround.  Make sure there is a grille over any and all exposed cones.  It shouldn't be too hard to make one.

• Like 1

• Moderators

We have 2 small dogs, it never seems to bother them even loud at times. They tend to sleep through it at times, they can just get up and move to another room but don't so I guess they have no problem with it. 

Now on occasion they will hear something in the music and think someone is outside, then the get up and bark by the front door.

• Like 1

It takes a pretty ridiculous, ear damaging level to run off my animals and I don't think its the sub that does it. I've had a cat scratch the dust cap on a passive before and a friend of mine had one of his forte II passives almost completely destroyed by one of his cats. Right now I don't let my cat in my room where the stereo is just to be safe.

• Like 2