DVD-Audio: a Couple of Questions

jwadd21

I recently got a DVD audio disk. However, in surround mode I am not getting any Dolby Digital. My DVD Audio player shows 5.1 channels, but the Dolby Digital light never comes on. Are most DVD audio disks 5.1 sound but not Dolby Digital. And if so, what do I have to do to get the multichannel sound? I have to use prologic because DD doesnt recognize a DD signal on my receiver.

Here is a link to the DVD audio disc I got:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1169556268/pagename=/RP/MOVIES/mv_item.html/itemid=1406470

Also, I got some HDCD's, but the HDCD light doesnt come on on my HDCD player (Cambridge D500SE). Are they HDCD's? If not, I am returning them to CD Now. Also, the cd's dont have HDCD anywhere on them.

These are the HDCDs I got:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1169556268/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=311/itemid=796369

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1169556268/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=WARREN+G/itemid=791223

THanks, Any help would be nice.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: JVC XV-D723 Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

Jwadd,

First off is your DVD video player also have the ability to play DVD Audio disc's or is it a standard DVD Video player only. If it does not have the DVD-A logo and the 6 analog outputs on the back( R-C-L-SR-SL-Sub)on it than you will not get the benefits of the Hi Res DVD Audio. If this is the case then you should be able to play this in DD as you state. Make sure on the DVD disc's Menu you choose DD 5.1 playback. This is very important!

If this is set right then playback would be like any movie DVD except just music.

All of the DVD A disc's I have and all the ones I've read about have the following audio tracks encoded on them:

2 Channel 192/24

6 channel Surround 96/24

DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1

Again if your machine is not a DVD Audio/Video player then you will only get the DD 5.1 or DTS

Check your optical cable. This check would only be required if your movies are not playing DD 5.1 as well.

Last, if you do have a DVD Audio Machine and you have it hooked up using the 6 analog outputs to your 6 analog inputs on your reciever, you do have these on your reciever? Then make sure that you have the external input selected on your reciever( most are marked with Ext In)

Hope this helps

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

I hate it when people tell me stuff like, check to see if stuff is plugged it or check to see if your DVD player is capable of playing DVDA. Yes it plays DVDA. Everything is plugged in perfectly, I thought enough to check that. I am using optical into my receiver. I picked the 5.1 surround on the DVD, of course. Perhaps there is some setting on my DVD player I need to check

Any news on the HDCD problem?

------------------

MY SYSTEM

"Lighten up Francis" Scotter is just trying to help and if you don't want responses such as Scooter's than you need to describe what you have already tried in more detail. Sometimes the obvoius is the first thing that we forget to check.

Anyway I understand that these type of problems are frustrating. First off I am not familiar with the DVD player that you have but it may be automatically choosing the best possible out put for sound which may not be DD or DTS therefore your amp is not recognizing it. Secondly, I do know a few people who use the DVD-A and they use the 6 channels outs to pass the signal rather than the optical cable. I would try using the 6 outputs from the DVD-A(Let the player do the decoding) into the receiver and use your ear to see if you are getting 5.1 full range/channel sound. That would be a good place to start.

Assuming this works fine, which it probably will you then need to check your menus on the DVD-A to make sure it is configured correctly for what signal you want to pass through the optical cable. Noting that when you use the optical/coaxial output from the player it passes a signal of a certain format and assumes that your amp will decode it(Not trying to state the obvious but it is a point worth mentioning). Also keeping in mind that unless your DVD-A player is lighting up DD, DTS, DVD-A lights all at once(which is unlikely) it is choosing a default format to pass which your amp is only recognizing as PCM 2 channel stereo and thus the amp is decoding it the only way it know's to, which is Pro-Logic.

------------------

K-horn's(Main)

Cornwall's(Rear)

Heresey's(Center)

KSW-12(Sub)

Yamaha RX-V1

61" Hitachi WIDESCREEN

Dish Net w/Opt Out

Xbox w/Comp Out(DVD)

JVC S-VHS

Pioneer 6 Disk CD

Sony Minidisk

-------------------------

Can you hear me now?

This message has been edited by erikjohn on 09-17-2002 at 07:04 AM

jwadd,

Real nice response on Scooter's post...

First of all, are you using the 6 analog cables on the back of the JVC and are they plugged into the back of your receiver? Since I am not familiar with the HK line of receiver's, I am going to assume that it has the 6 analog inputs in the back to support DVD-A/SACD. Next, while listeing to the DVD-A disc, you need to make sure that you are monitoring the EXT-IN mode (or whatever HK calls it) as opposed to DD, DTS or Pro-Logic.

Prior to doing that, make sure you have set the channel levels (L, R, C, RS, LS, Sub) for the EXT-IN mode just like you would on any of the other input modes. A Rat Shack SPL meter, and Avia or Video Essentials DVD will help you do this.

If you are not using the analog outputs on the back of the JVC then you will only be able to hear these discs using their other formats (generally 2 channel stereo and a DD and/or DTS version of the DVD). You will need to select that version from the JVC menu prior to pressing play. As Erik mentioned, are you able to watch standard DVD-V thru your Optical cable (DD 5.1 and DTS)? If so, then we know you have your Audio settings right on the JVC DVD player.

Let us know how this turns out for you...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

jwadd21 -

Yon CANNOT listen to DVD-A at the full resolution via any digital (optical or coax) connection. This is because of copy portection. To listen to a DVD-A you need to connect the six channel analog output from the DVD-A player to the the six channel input on the HK. Then you need to select the 6 Channel Input on the HK. Note this will bypass all of the bass management setting on the HK but you can still set the channel levels using the OSD of the HK and a test disc.

Also to use the HK to decode HDCD's you need to run a digital connection between the HK and you CD player. Also the HK needs to be in stereo mode (surround off) or it will not process HDCD's

Hope this helps.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 09-17-2002 at 11:22 AM

As for DVDA: I can try connecting the 6 channels. Regular DVDV works fine.

As for HDCD: My CD Player is an HDCD Player and should recognize such material and decode it. Correct? It has an HDCD light and all.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Wad - As has been stated, 'Connecting the 6 channel inputs' is the ONLY way to enjoy multi-channel high res audio, which presumably is the reason you've purchased the DVD-A disk in the first place. DD 'lights' WILL NOT light up as the 6 channels of signals coming from the DVD-A player is at the point of receiver input, analog.

I am not familiar with the disk you have purchased, but the few titles I have have been all over the board as far as setup. For instance, 'Hotel CA', when played in my DVD-A player gives you two play mode options....'Surround sound playlist' and 'Stereo sound playlist'. However, if you go into the DVD-A player and enable 'Video mode', then the DVD-A disk gives you a different set of menu options.....'Dolby Digital Playlist', 'DTS Playlist' or 'PCM Stereo Playlist'.

I believe that the high resolution DVD-A format(s) are neither DD or DTS, but rather hi-res PCM. But I'm not sure about this point, it's just that when I forget to select '6 channel ext in' on my receiver when listening to 'Surround Sound Playback', the receiver displays 'PCM', not DD5.1 or DTS.

Can't speak to your HDCD probs.

------------------

Ed

quote:

I am not familiar with the disk you have purchased, but the few titles I have have been all over the board as far as setup. For instance, 'Hotel CA', when played in my DVD-A player gives you two play mode options....'Surround sound playlist' and 'Stereo sound playlist'. However, if you go into the DVD-A player and enable 'Video mode', then the DVD-A disk gives you a different set of menu options.....'Dolby Digital Playlist', 'DTS Playlist' or 'PCM Stereo Playlist'.

If you put the player in "video mode" the player reads the disc like a normal DVD-V not a DVD-A (at least on the players I have fooled around with). This lets you access the DD5.1 and DTS5.1 tracks but will not give you the high resolution sound.

To get the high resolution DVD-A sound using multi-channel playback just start playing songs from the Surround Sound Playlist. This is the only place to access the DVD-A multi channel tracks. This selection will only output music via the 6 channel analog ports on the players. This is pretty standard on all DVD-A players and discs.

Laters,

Jeff

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 09-17-2002 at 02:56 PM

jwadd,

Well I'm sorry you feel stating the obvious was in anyway demeaning to you. Sometimes we tend to ignore the obvious and look for something else. In any case I was attempting to solve your problem. I have been into all forms of audio and video for some 30 odd years. I feel I have a pretty decent amount of knowledge when it comes to this. I have also seen just about every type of hook up problem out there, including DVD A. In the future I will hold back my temptation to assist you in any of your future post.

Good luck in finding your problem

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

Mike, mike, mike...

RFM, pronounced "riffem" or "rif 'em", goes back to the late 70's when retail outlets first began selling personal computers (Apple II, various S100 bus systems like Northstar and Dynabyte ]). It was used in response to various customer questions that began with "How do I..."

It is an acronymm that stands for:

Read the

F**king

Manual

Ray, ever delighted to be helpful...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I have read the manual and checked all obvious problems. Scooter, I didn't ask you not to help nor did I say your message was demeaning. I said I hate it when people tell me to check the obvious because I thats never the problem when I try to fix stuff, its always really complicated it seems. Thats all

Anyways I connected using the 6 channel and for some reason I'm not getting multichannel sound, just 2 channels. I check every setting on my dvd player and found nothing that could cause this. I am just gonna send the DVDA back along with the HDCDs, it was really only for testing and such.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

haha, touche....

seriously though, wth is the deal with this?

------------------

MY SYSTEM

To enjoy high quality 192kHz or 96kHz audio, you should use 5.1 channel output connecion and set PCM Down Conversion to 'No'.

Get it right, get a GOOD DVD-A disc, and you'll more than likely not return to the 2-channel forum because you'll only get the old-timey 2-channel sound here.

Keith

quote:

Originally posted by eq_shadimar:

If you put the player in "video mode" the player reads the disc like a normal DVD-V not a DVD-A (at least on the players I have fooled around with). This lets you access the DD5.1 and DTS5.1 tracks but will not give you the high resolution sound.

I decided to try this on my Panasonic RP-91 and could not get it to work. It has a Video Transfer Mode (Auto1, Auto2, Auto3 and Video) within the menu system, and I normally keep it at Auto2 for viewing Film material, which it converts 30-frame per second progressive video. When I switch it over to Video and then reinsert a DVD-A with a supposedly DD 5.1 version, it still has the same menu on it (6-channel PPCM and 2-channel stereo).

Am I doing something wrong or won't my player handle this? It's not that I want to listen to it in that format, but I would like to learn more about my player...

Thanks,

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-21-2002 at 10:37 AM