Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Just now, Tim Sr. said:

Packages today...

My replacement of Tommy so I know what will playing here

Also got the cartridge sleds for the Dual TT :)

DSCN3881sm copy.jpg

another good old german tt but it´s only one from 4 tt´s that you own , where´re the other three ? and which models ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

another good old german tt but it´s only one from 4 tt´s that you own , where´re the other three ? and which models ?

Laughing here, yeah well I can finally say all here and accounted for :) The Thorens is all cleaned and sits next to the Dual, almost. Cartridge and phono box between them The Bic is atop the CD players on the wall, and the Project above that. The AR of course is in the Hutch next to the Dual

NOTHING is in the proper spot yet, we can not find the stereo stand legs...think as legs do they somehow walked away (Sick humor)

• Like 2

A small update. Today a heavy package arrived from the US:

PXL_20231012_182115317.thumb.jpg.73307b17fc080af26b69edb916debd05.jpg

PXL_20231012_182146132.thumb.jpg.981df63d4f5d90a19bcf8eb145c84bea.jpg

Two new woofers for my KG 4.5. As you can see, no originals, but well made copies by the looks of it. Will A/B them with the one original I still have. And fast! I ordered on Monday. At home DHL is not that fast here in Germany... But international they seem to be a lot quicker.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Tim Sr. said:

@AndreG. that is the Dual 1246 actually, I am not wealthy or worthy enough to own a 701 :)

Ah, a belt driven changer. I own a 601. 

That´s true, 701 cost a fortune these days... Hope to be lucky though, and find an un-refurbished one for small money some day...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Today a heavy package arrived from the US:

nice score there. I will be interested in your listening observations.

... belt drive yes, as I only own belt drive TT now, except for a sony DD Linear tracking, but that is in storage way out west in Colorado. It has issues so am not in any hurry to retrieve it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

OH MAN .....you must be a rich guy , when i see what you buy then you must have a high income ..  @KROCK here is another german guy without fixed income 🤣

The LP? No. The woofers? – Ouch... I hope I won´t have to buy anymore anytime soon... And that other addition? Wasn´t that expensive and might arrive tomorrow. And who´s the rich guy here? How about it EVO- Man? 😋 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

The LP? No. The woofers? – Ouch... I hope I won´t have to buy anymore anytime soon... And that other addition? Wasn´t that expensive and might arrive tomorrow. And who´s the rich guy here? How about it EVO- Man? 😋 😉

talking about the stuff you´bought w/in this year bud 😂..I didn´t spent a single € for new gear or vinyl this year...now I know why I saved all the €uronies .. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

now I know why I saved all the €uronies .. 

Sadly... But at least You found a nice place and put it up the way you like it. So in that little regard at least it´s money well spend.

As for me, I´m done now. If I want new stuff, I have to get rid of something first. Not that there wouldn´t be "new" gear I like... I never thought I would get this much into vintage though. 🙃

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Btw , my doughter is in Melbourne right now, she´ll arrive in Brisbane on first of November , so what you gonna do with her ? What shall I tell her to get in touch with you ? Is your doughter there as well ? She has your phonenumber !

I have been working non stop lately 

My busiest time for work is Sept to Feb with end of year work

Clients can’t wait they want a job done straight away 

I will see if I’m available 

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

some more impressions from my listening room at night @Full Range

Light2.thumb.jpg.557203a209ae4fcb0ad188af6e94243e.jpg

The sun from Bali is allways guiding me ( bought it there many years ago )

Light3.thumb.jpg.fcdb713c40b2bc8b9799ee00eeb277eb.jpg

3 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@Full Range  Light Art impressions from my listening room , just for you 😁

Light.thumb.jpg.65bd20f2e675ed682d4527931263edfb.jpg

Light1.thumb.jpg.38ff779186627339cd01226e1e771fd3.jpg

Yea that’s what I am talking about 

Not only art but classy art 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's update: AR XA
It has been an interesting and educational day. I did my inspection on the barrel with a microscope to get a good look at the pivot cups, and what I saw was rather surprising ( A lot of images "Warning") I was figuring on a small cup cut into the brass for each pivot point. I have read about "Bearings" in the barrel by other folk working on these.There was never much clarification here to the why and what of these bearings. and what I found was a steel insert in the brass that the pivot is supposed to couple with.

S20231012_0054.thumb.jpg.ff7cb40da1345beeb9af19a7ab395c55.jpg

One pivot here shows a ridge line or wear at the point it coupled to the steel sleeve.

S20231012_0086.thumb.jpg.74c89270b0e9e8320f8ca6149f08ed06.jpg

The other pivot looked acceptable.

I will not be able to set the jewels into this, and see that would not be the correct solution here. Ideally having two new pivots and a new sleeve would be best. I tried to clean up the pivot screws using a pin vise and 600 grit, putting the pin vise in the lathe holding the pivot, but the overall impact was nil. I searched to see what was available and came up empty, other than picking up an used arm to rob parts off of, but the same issues would be likely for the given age and such. So I decided to try an old trick to see if there was another possibility. Insert a graphite rod into the sleeve and then create a new point to receive the pivot, allowing the pivot to ride in and on a graphite surface.
continued...

• Like 5

I had to hunt long and hard to find a proper graphite source (about 30 seconds of walking) and taper the end for a good fit and I think this might just be the way to go(for now).

DSCN3885sm.thumb.jpg.f18e730df95b583205a1deacbd330e7d.jpg

yeah.jpg.cca5f5f5fe41d18f40f3e864ae6ea734.jpgThe end result is a balance of 0.11 grams accuracy. Less that that the arm still falters but achieving zero g balance is now much better. The minimum I would ask of this arm to track with would be a minimum of 0.75 and normally would be a tracking force of 1.0 to 1.25 g. I will continue to watch for replacement parts and fiddle with some watch shaft/points as a possible modification for the future.
I am satisfied though with the result of the graphite bearing here.
Now onto the more challenging tasks of proper cleaning.

• Like 4