Class D Crown vs. Hypex nCore

richieb

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

not sure which is better the DIY  kits at 400wpc with the "standard" input buffer, or the OEM MP modules at 500wpc and perhaps a different "standard" input buffer, or the ones other maufacturers are selling with their tweaks on a separate input buffer board.

When someone designs a kit, they want to make sure it's EASY to built and ROBUST as can be. Nothing is foolproof, of course, because fools can be quite ingenious at defeating (polite version of SNAFU) a good design. Let us not be fools. LOL.

I've looked at the kits and a pair would be 1500-1600 bucks.  I would love to hear a set. 

I wonder if it could topple a used McIntosh amplifier...for the same price.  The MC7100 is something I always see available...for much cheaper.

http://mcintoshcompendium.com/Compendium Docs/Power Amplifiers/PDFs/MC7100.pdf

Not knocking the idea at all.  Just trying to see the value in the Hypex.  Again, I would need to hear ....or to A/B.

jc

5 minutes ago, wdecho said:

choose the best sounding one with your ears in your room with your speakers you would have to have both to compare

Yep.

Just curious.  Didn't want to sway off topic too much.  Interested in comparison.

5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

NAH. Just buy a pair and use it wisely. You won't regret it.

Well, which pair?  They are not all the same.  The Ncore 400 kits, while they may be easy to assemble may not have the same level of performance as some of the OEM modules.

It might be better to buy an amp built by a manufacturer that has the separate and upgraded input buffer board.

I still haven't read enough.  But it seems the secret is some sort of configurable input buffer board (associated with maybe the Nc500 only) which OEMs can dress up with their own electronics to "season" the sound of their particular amp.  It's smart.  Hypex  sells these modules to many manufacturers and apparently some end user amps based on these modules have better sound than others.......and much varying prices.  It is this input buffer board everyone seems to brag on.

All the other Hypex modules have some sort of integrated input board which comes standard.  Maybe they are not all the same.

Sure, one could just get the kits and be off and running.  But a little more exploration might lead to something better.

Check this out, and almost half price of the  mono kits.  Stereo, and 500 wpc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hypex-Ncore-NC502MP-DUAL-500W-HIFI-Amp-CUSTOM-BUILT-REDUCED-PRICE-FLASH-SALE/222573491003?hash=item33d269f33b:g:9hAAAOSwridaOkbS

18 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I looked at the specs and they are very close to my units. For this price, what are y'all waiting for??

19 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Well, which pair?  They are not all the same.  The Ncore 400 kits, while they may be easy to assemble may not have the same level of performance as some of the OEM modules.

It might be better to buy an amp built by a manufacturer that has the separate and upgraded input buffer board.

I still haven't read enough.  But it seems the secret is some sort of configurable input buffer board (associated with maybe the Nc500 only) which OEMs can dress up with their own electronics to "season" the sound of their particular amp.  It's smart.  Hypex  sells these modules to many manufacturers and apparently some end user amps based on these modules have better sound than others.......and much varying prices.  It is this input buffer board everyone seems to brag on.

All the other Hypex modules have some sort of integrated input board which comes standard.  Maybe they are not all the same.

Sure, one could just get the kits and be off and running.  But a little more exploration might lead to something better.

Check this out, and almost half price of the  mono kits.  Stereo, and 500 wpc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hypex-Ncore-NC502MP-DUAL-500W-HIFI-Amp-CUSTOM-BUILT-REDUCED-PRICE-FLASH-SALE/222573491003?hash=item33d269f33b:g:9hAAAOSwridaOkbS

Thanks for the link, Mark. I just ordered one!! Now I'll have two different Hypexes to compare. I'll let all you "slow motions slackers," suffering from the "paralysis of analysis," how all this compares in March, LOL. Until then..............Hypex Class D ROCKS.

14 minutes ago, jwc said:

That fella on Ebay has good prices on already assembled Hypex. 

Yep. That's why I bought one. He also does a few tweaks and makes custom CNC cases for them. A good deal. That's why I bought one.............best way to know rather than solicit opinions all over the Web.

• Like 1

Claude,  good deal man.  You let us know.  :)

I can not find anywhere the difference between the kit 400 modules and the OEM modules.  It will be nice to know if you can hear a difference, or if you perceive any quality difference in the modules or build.  I think what you just ordered is 500wpc and so it should rock even harder..........:)

The prices on this Ebay guy's stuff are very good...........I assume he's selling those same modules that are in some of the hyper-expensive amps.

The only ones that MAY be better are those Ncore 500s with the configurable buffer board.  NORD is one company selling those and provides some info about them.  Who knows maybe just different sounding but actually no better.

Claude you can be the forum pioneer for all this.  :)

11 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Claude,  good deal man.  You let us know.  :)

I can not find anywhere the difference between the kit 400 modules and the OEM modules.  It will be nice to know if you can hear a difference, or if you perceive any quality difference in the modules or build.  I think what you just ordered is 500wpc and so it should rock even harder..........:)

The prices on this Ebay guy's stuff are very good...........I assume he's selling those same modules that are in some of the hyper-expensive amps.

The only ones that MAY be better are those Ncore 500s with the configurable buffer board.  NORD is one company selling those and provides some info about them.  Who knows maybe just different sounding but actually no better.

Claude you can be the forum pioneer for all this.  :)

Yes he is. He's a straight shooter kind of fellow (my son's age) and he's really into doing it right, so to speak. He did say the NC500 was the top, but at over twice the cost, AND it was highly dependent on the power supply and front end buffer. He says he uses better regulators and a better op amp on the 520, so he gets better than stock performance, which is splitting hairs. We shall see how many hairs I can split with what I have. I'll do my best with the Pioneer Hat you put on my head. Besides, I like spending other people's money as well as my own on good audio!

2 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Sounds like this is going to be very good.  Did you figure out who this guy is?

We had a 1/2 hour conversation. Seems like one of us, so to speak. BTW, he's fairly new at this offering, which is why the price is "introductory." First time he posted on Ebay, he ended up selling 100 of them. I'm customer #41. He does his own CNC and he's getting more efficient at it, along with more custom colors in anodize, etc. Pretty cool options, but I went with Black, since it has the best thermal emissivity (I once designed a heatsink and learned this).

18 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

NC400_datasheet.pdf

NC500_OEM_02xx.pdf

NC502MP_02xx_03xx.pdf

24 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes he is. He's a straight shooter kind of fellow (my son's age) and he's really into doing it right, so to speak. He did say the NC500 was the top, but at over twice the cost, AND it was highly dependent on the power supply and front end buffer. He says he uses better regulators and a better op amp on the 520, so he gets better than stock performance, which is splitting hairs. We shall see how many hairs I can split with what I have. I'll do my best with the Pioneer Hat you put on my head. Besides, I like spending other people's money as well as my own on good audio!

The nc500 might be his top offering but in the scope of Hypex nCore the nc1200 is their top module. And be prepared 

to pay $$$$$ for them --- .

11 minutes ago, richieb said:

The nc500 might be his top offering but in the scope of Hypex nCore the nc1200 is their top module. And be prepared 

to pay $$$$$ for them --- .

I simply don't need that kind of power. Not even for my full horn and tapped horn subs.