Harvesting Tubes From Old Organs

fini

I once got 15 "Baldwin" 12AX7s from some organs about four years ago. After doing some research, it appeared as if they were actually from a variety of makes with a few from Japan and some RCA and Sylvania thrown in as well. I wouldnt count on top notch samples but so many tubes were branded different thing you never know. You have to familiarize yourself with the internal construction to compare. But, by all means, if you find a cache of input tubes, give them a go. One thing about the ones I found, they were ALL in great shape. Just no real finds in the mix.

kh

I think there must be a bumper crop.

Seems like all the industrial LAS on Ebay are all old church organ speakers.

Donations to churches must be up this year.

JM

------------------

HT / Listening Environment:

Mains: '83 Khorns

All Heritage Center: K77, K400 above screen, Dual K22 in Heresy cabinets under screen.

Sides: Forte 1

Subs: Dual SVS Ultra +

Screen: 65"x120" DaLite Grey

Projector: Sharp PG-M20X

Processor: Lexicon MC-1

2 Ch Preamp: McIntosh C-36

Many NAD mono amps (for now)

I decided to go ahead and get the organs! Two "Orgasonics" made by Baldwin. Some made in Japan, some made in the USA. Each has 32 (!)/ 12AU7's, 9 /12AX7's, 2/6L6GC's, and a 5U4GB. So, 88 tubes to play with for $40 (plus the dump fee...). So, did I score, or am I an idiot, or both?

fini

Fini,

Maybe you should see if anyone is restoring those old organs, and if so, ship off the parts for the cost of shipping to avoid dump fees. Selling the tubes at only 2 bucks each would then quadruple your money. Watch out though, running an "organ donor bank" might be government regulated.

Klipsch out.

Don't just be a "tube-puller"! Some of the vintage organ tone cabinets have some of the best tube amplifiers (great power supplies, chokes, etc.). They will definitely need new electrolytics & a different output transformer...the original OPT is designed for organ bandwidth.

Pictured is one of my 2A3 push-pull parallel monoblocks with a UTC LS-58 output transformer. (The UTC LS-58 was originally designed for p-p-p 2A3's or 300B's). The original circuit was modified by Arthur Loesch (substituted a 53 triode for one of the 56 triodes for more gain with dynamic speakers) and built by my friend John Wiesner. A whopping 14 watts of Class A power; incredible slam & authority with the K-horns while still retaining the triode midrange magic. By far, my favorite push-pull tube amp. Not bad for a 1933 design for field coil speakers (Jensen A-12's).

There are other good organ amps...for instance, the Allen organ amps, which can be converted to 300B power.

Just my observations & $0.02.

Have fun & enjoy,

Pete

This message has been edited by Triode Pete on 09-25-2002 at 08:51 AM

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've decided to wire the organs together, now I have a huge organ. I'm so excited about this, I want to tell everyone, so I'm sending out unsolicited emails telling the world how to double the size of their organs.

fini

I had the same thoughts this summer with Console stereo units. I have 4 of them eating up space in my basement because every single one of them worked and I just didn;t have the heart to trash them !! Even the turntables work if thats what you call them LOL !! They make some seriously horrible music with those nasty needles and noisy motors LOL !! I even have a comeplete quad of the Ultra hard to find 7355 output tubes in one of the units. Paid $40 for one and scored a great quad of Amperex Bugle Boy 7189/EL84's worth at least $150 on ebay but I'm hanging on to them !

Craig

fini,

it's funny, but I was getting unsolicited emails like that already this whole last year. people all over the country must be getting hip to your idea of wiring those beasts together. are some of those organs you have pump organs? because I seem to remember that there is a way to increase organ size with the pumps as well. which came first,? the pump or the tube type oragamis?

When I finally get tired of my solid state organ I might take you up on your idea, but so far I have been enjoying the highs from the solid state organ and haven't needed to convert to tubes. And it is not just me, when the wife comes into the room she seems to get off on the solid state organ as well, so if it ain't broken, why fix it. I have tried to convince her about tubes but so far my hands are tied. (i'm typing this with my nose).

you can usually tell when a tube organ is worn out because the sound loses its edge, then it is time to change to new tubes, but what happens to the solid state organ, do they go soft also?

I dig pulling out all the stops, but my favorite is the one marked "double entendre", makes me think I am in church.

-c7s