Mini rf7

D. Ryan

So I have been running kg4s and kg 2.5s off the same channel for some time now, with two amps. Recently upgraded to rf7ii, I was contemplating a build of an rf7 horn and one 10" woofer in a custom cabinet. My biggest concern was a proper crossover. This would allow for a perfect match to my towers for the height speakers. Anyone have any insight on how I could make this build work?

The RF 64 II will match the mains and many different speakers can fill the FH role.  I don't even have Klipsch for FH and the match with the Main is perfect IMHO as well as the surround.  A small disclaimer, the SC 99 will align the other speakers to the mains.  I don' t know if Auddysee will do the same.

it is the exact same horn and driver. just a smaller woofer, single 8" can play plenty loud. Sounds like a big project you are going to be getting into. Do you really think that you are going to do a better job than Klipsch did matching the RB75 to the RF7? If you are after more output then look to the matching centre channel loudspeaker those will push more air than a single ten and are voiced to match perfectly with the RF7. Those two 8 inch woofers will push half as much air again as a single 10 inch woofer can and have better mid response than a single10 inch will not only that but at crossover frequency an eight inch woofer matches the horn far better than a ten inch woofer does. You may be able too buy all the parts new I will look for the company in Florida who stocks factory parts and get back later. Good luck with your project keep us posted.

http://www.klipsch.ca/products/rc-7-center-speaker

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 9:34 AM, derrickdj1 said:

There are easier ways to match the RF 7 or 7 II to a FH speakers.  Also, FH speakers are for ambience and don't need to be critically matched to the Mains.

Well I do not use them as presence speakers. They will be driven by the main l/r channel. 

You want a larger vertical sound stage like DD PL II z, Atmos, Auro 3D  or Neo X.  Does your current avr or processor have that function?  You just may need an avr that does the newer formats.  From a HT performance standpoint, there is no need for the FH speaker to have as large a horn or 10 in. bass driver.  Now, if you are going to feed the FH channel the same signal as the front L/R speaker that is different.

Normally in movies, the FH and Mains don't receive the exact signal.

I second the use of the RC-7, great speakers that were designed and built to match the speakers you have leaving the guess work out of it and they can be found used for as little as $200 depending on location and condition. They are capable of very high output and a surprising amount of tight low-ish bass.

• Like 2