Sansui 9090db and Palladium P37f's

wstrickland1

8 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

I have 9090DB for almost 4 years now. Unfortunately the main pot is gone and until now I havent found replacement. So 9090 is quiet still. I regret it...

If you're lucky that's all it is. There are quite a few potential "pot"holes (pun definitely intended) you can hit before music escapes out of the speaker terminals. The -20 db switch, speaker selector, tone controls or worse the dolby board. They used double sided boards with like 62 passthrus that have a tendency to crap out. Also the crappy ribbon connector(s) on that board. Is one channel dropping or scratchy?

The place who is working on my 2A3 amps has stacks of older Pioneer and Sony gear, along with things like a Mitsubishi linear tracking turntable, $150K Western Electric amps. I'll see what other receivers he has when I go back for my Moondogs.

Bruce

Thanks for all the advice.

Sansui has been in the repair shop and examined by the experienced technician.

The main volume pot is kaput. Left channel is barely audible at minimum, but then drops and completely looses when pot turn to the right.

Other than that receiver should be fine.

I will look again for the pot at AudioKarma.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 6:49 AM, wstrickland1 said:

If you can find a Sansui 8080 or 9090 GRAB IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

The only issue about it is I know that one day I will need some expert service on it. I read a ton of info about them last night and in particular the "db" versions. While they are considered to be more top of the line with a bit more power (better power supply), etc., the Dolby board is problematic. It's not a matter of if but when. Mine is functioning perfectly right now but again it's 40 years old. My goal is to never move it again until something breaks! For now it's totally amazing. 

Grab one ASAP!!!!