RIP Gord, You were ahead by a century

Derrick

All of Canada weeps today for the loss of a rock legend and cultural icon. Gord Downie, the lead singer of The Tragically Hip, the lead singer of Canada, passed away last night. Some may not be familiar with their music, the band is as big as it gets here. Only other Canadian's will understand what I am saying. There will be many campfires across the country tonight with The Hip providing the soundtrack.

Rest in Fiddler's Green Gord, you earned it.

• Like 3

Yes, they toured and did their final concert in their hometown of Kingston Ont. I was at that one and the Toronto show.
I worked 3 tours with them in the 90's. Gord was the kindest man I had the privilege to meet and spend many hours on the road with.
The country mourns a legend today.
RIP Gord,  Thank you for the memories.......

• Like 3

Just to give everyone an idea of how important this band is here, they had a moment of silence in our parliament for Gord today. The Prime Minister gave a tearful speech on the influence that he had on the country.

The main rock station in Ottawa is calling themselves Gord FM and they are playing nothing but The Tragically Hip songs until Monday. It’s not too often a major radio station in a city of 1 million people will play one band, 24 hours a day, for 4 days. Classy move Chez 106.1. 

Yes, the avatar that I have been using on this forum for awhile now is Gord Downie at his best. RIP my friend.

• Like 3

The New York Times said it best;

“The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada’s national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close.”

I would say close but not very close. 

The documentary “Long Time Running” will be on utube soon. It was on national tv tonight and if you are a music fan of any genre it is not to be missed. Not just about the music but a touching view of a band coming to an end. 

• Like 1

I PVRed Long Time Running last night. It will be up and running tonight. A great band, several of the more popular watering holes here in Yellowknife played the live final concert from Kingston last summer on their big screens usually reserved for hockey and the Grey Cup. The Elks club had it outside projected and a large PA system set up for the audio at concert sound level. The next best thing to being there. The place was packed. My local pub across the street played nothing but nonstop Hip Thursday night.

• Like 1

I don't know how accurate this is, but I worked with both The Rolling Stones and The Hip. I heard this in both camps that The Hip were the only opening act for the Stones that crowd called them back to do an encore. Happened in Germany. I know it happened, but unsure if they were the only ones.