Educate me: Forte II upgrades/modifications

bkevind

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Just because ALK pulls no punches doesn’t mean he is right....

No worries.  I keep things in perspective, and try to change perspectives when it helps keep an open mind.

I take words laced with vitriol and vehemence with a large grain of salt.  

6 minutes ago, bkevind said:

No worries.  I keep things in perspective, and try to change perspectives when it helps keep an open mind.

I take words laced with vitriol and vehemence with a large grain of salt.  

That's good. 

Al is full of shit. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Deang said:

More extension and better dynamics - a stronger sense of immediacy, with the tradeoff being a lack of warmth and authenticity to the sound - realism is exchanged for sterility.   

Has anyone ever compared NEW phenolic diaphragms to the titanium?

Still prefer the sound with Jensen paper in oil capacitors. 

I have no horse in this race but I find DG's comment interesting particularly "the trade off being lack of authenticity   -- realism is exchanged for sterility". This statement could well be true for many of the so-called "upgrades" to Klipsch OE designs. And has been discussed may times before, an "upgrade" can better be defined as a modification. Any modification can only be considered an "upgrade" if the end user deems so. Others may think it a downgrade?!  Which perfectly describes DG's point. And I wouldn't consider a xover cap freshening either an upgrade or modification. More like restoring the xover close to its factory sound. 

10 hours ago, richieb said:

And I wouldn't consider a xover cap freshening either an upgrade or modification. More like restoring the xover close to its factory sound. 

Not really.  Putting in fresh caps with the same values without changing the circuit will get you.... fresh caps.....but likely not "factory sound".  (Although, you did say "close")  Without getting into "this cap is better than this cap.....again...." there are so many different caps of the same values that will sound definitively different (and better or not is up to you).  DG has his favorites, as do his customers, many of whom will pay big, big dollars for certain brands/types, and he has experimented with likely dozens and dozens of different caps.  And I have a few favorites of my own, based on trial and error and from recommendations from other folks.  But to me, this is the fun part of this "hobby"....and the best time of the year for me to listen to a lot more music and work on projects.

• Like 3

Just got finished doing a refresh on crossovers on a pair of Chorus II's this morning....bought the cap kit from Bob.

Not saying the old caps were bad...this is just a piece of mind thing for some of us....I kind of do the Klipsch speaker thing as a hobby.

I generally have at least one extra set of crossovers for every model I own. ( listed in profile )

George

• Like 1