Should I be weary of used R-115SW?

91RS

I’m considering two R-115SW’s I found for $800 and returning the SVS PC-2000 I just bought. The only thing I’m concerned with is the amplifiers since buying used I won’t have a warranty and I’ve noticed quite a few threads about amplifier failures with speakers not even that old. Is this just a case of the usual forum making it look worse than it is? A new amp is $200 so that’s half of what I’d be paying for the whole speaker. 

I'm guessing there's probably 1000's of those units sold and people don't generally start a thread to announce their sub "still works." It's entirely possible that you pick up the subs and don't have any problems for a long time, it's also possible that one or both quit after a short time, hard to say for sure. Retail is $850 each I believe but they do go on sale for quite a bit less and black Friday is coming up not sure what deals will be out there but going by full retail price you could buy a new pair of amplifiers along with the subs and still come out a head. Buying used is always a gamble but in this case with new replacement parts available for reasonable prices makes it less of one in my mind. Anyway hope this helps good luck!

For what it is worth - I don't know which speakers you want to pair the subs with - AND I don't know how the R115SW compares to the SW115 - but the latter is/was not really a very impressive sub - I also have an older ported SVS unit with two 12 inch drivers which outperformed the Klipsch by more than a mile - so that the Klipsch has been sold (after an unexplained amp failure). Now I have my eyes on a used PC-2000 - if that performs at least in similar fashion to the old SVS, I shall be a happy camper (needing a "new" sub for my second 2-channel rig).

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I'm guessing there's probably 1000's of those units sold and people don't generally start a thread to announce their sub "still works." It's entirely possible that you pick up the subs and don't have any problems for a long time, it's also possible that one or both quit after a short time, hard to say for sure. Retail is $850 each I believe but they do go on sale for quite a bit less and black Friday is coming up not sure what deals will be out there but going by full retail price you could buy a new pair of amplifiers along with the subs and still come out a head. Buying used is always a gamble but in this case with new replacement parts available for reasonable prices makes it less of one in my mind. Anyway hope this helps good luck!

Thats what I was hoping to hear, you always only see people’s complaints on a forum. I called the guy and he isn’t willing to budge from $800 because he says he paid $1400 for them. But he said something about one of them will play for a few and then turn off but if you unplug it and plug it back in it will work again. So one may already have an issue! He said they’re only 4 months old and it would be under warranty but according to Klipsch’s web site, the warranty is only for the original owner. 

7 minutes ago, dubai2000 said:

For what it is worth - I don't know which speakers you want to pair the subs with - AND I don't know how the R115SW compares to the SW115 - but the latter is/was not really a very impressive sub - I also have an older ported SVS unit with two 12 inch drivers which outperformed the Klipsch by more than a mile - so that the Klipsch has been sold (after an unexplained amp failure). Now I have my eyes on a used PC-2000 - if that performs at least in similar fashion to the old SVS, I shall be a happy camper (needing a "new" sub for my second 2-channel rig).

Everything I’m seeing says the R-115SW is significantly better than the SW-115 and that the PB/PC-2000 is pretty comparable but the SVS is louder below 40Hz but the Klipsch is louder above. Most say to go Klipsch if you’re buying them on sale because you can get two for the price of one SVS and then it’s better. 

The way the guy described the problem on the one was literally identical to one of the amplifier threads here. I told him I’d give him $600 cash for them to account for one amplifier and he said $700. I don’t know how I feel about that when the other amplifier could go bad also (or it could never go bad). I could just wait and hope Fry’s puts them on sale again or just keep the SVS and maybe keep my 12SW and run both even though the 12SW is mediocre compared to the SVS. 

2 hours ago, 91RS said:

The way the guy described the problem on the one was literally identical to one of the amplifier threads here. I told him I’d give him $600 cash for them to account for one amplifier and he said $700. I don’t know how I feel about that when the other amplifier could go bad also (or it could never go bad). I could just wait and hope Fry’s puts them on sale again or just keep the SVS and maybe keep my 12SW and run both even though the 12SW is mediocre compared to the SVS. 

I would pass. Too many subs out there and as you mentioned you could wait and pick them up for $500 NIB with a two year warranty if Klipsch is the way you want to go.

• 2 months later...