foil inductors

Alexander

3 minutes ago, Deang said:

Yeah, I like those too - especially the litz version. However, it doesn't really make much sense to spend more on crossover components than the speakers are worth - the smarter move is to put the money towards better loudspeakers. 

That I totally agree with ✅

Also If you want to read a multiple brand capacitor test with ratings then have a read of this site 

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

4 minutes ago, Deang said:

That guy is an idiot. 

Never met him or communicated with him 

I see it as - he has an opinion and it’s a Eurocentric view  ( and I can take it or leave it ) 

For the OP 

And it’s also prudent to view any advise based on application and is it suitable to your needs 

2 hours ago, Deang said:

Just do the 2.2's and 7.5's.

Leave the low pass as is. 

Leave the coils in the high pass as they are. You'll hear zero difference by changing them out. 

Stay with the present Solen 27uF?  I do have the z-caps for that value now - or is there nothing significant at that point up stream in the hi pass filter? Will be using the Jantzen in the 2.2/7.5's spots for now as I have them but will consider giving  the Audyn Plus 2.2/7.5's a go when the money recovers a bit.

3 hours ago, Deang said:

If you have replacements, use them - replace as many Solens as you can.

7.5 is an odd value. You will have to parallel.

Yea, the Jantzen z-caps took 3.6 & 3.9uF but the Audyn Plus will take .68 & 6.8uF to get that value.

This raises the question - were is the point of diminishing returns with cap or coil values? Thus far I have focused more on matching "pairs" rather than the exact value but how far should one go to match a schematic value at this level?

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Alexander said:

This raises the question - were is the point of diminishing returns with cap or coil values? Thus far I have focused more on matching "pairs" rather than the exact value but how far should one go to match a schematic value at this level?

Anyone? This question (and others) are not meant to be exclusive to Deang alone.

When I was building ALK ESNs I would call Sonicraft and have them measure the caps in pairs to get matched pairs and exact values of what I wanted with the values written right on the caps.  Using this method there was no deviating from the schematic and no tolerance issues at all.  When complete, my pairs of networks always measured dead nuts.  I never had any issues with home built networks.  Same on the right and left every time which was the original goal.

This was almost 10 years ago and I was building with Auricaps back then.  A pair of ALK ESNs was costing me in the $1500 range to do them myself.  So I wanted them to be right.

Now passives could cost far more with these newer more expensive components.  Why mess around.  Pay for measured parts and ensure you are doing it right.

Edit:  Buy the way I still have some of those home built ESNs and used them throughout most of 2017 and they still are excellent.  I upgraded the auto transformers to the 1db resolution type but same 10 year old nets.  Still working perfectly.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, Deang said:

If you have replacements, use them - replace as many Solens as you can.

@Deang  So what is it that makes the Solen caps so bad?  I have used them since around 1990 when we were building big single and multi amp car audio systems that won various National SQ competitions using those along with Morel, Dynaudio, Seas, MB Quart, and many other raw drivers plus in rebuilding older home speakers over the last 25 years.  I guess I've really never had a bad experience with them and they come in tons of values.  That's the caps in my CF-3's, JBL L100t3's, Infinity Quantum 3's & RSIIIa's, et al. And I've used the Daytons in various builds through the years, too.  Maybe it's my tinnitus that limits the differences I would, or wouldn't, hear now.  Hard to spend the big bucks on caps when you don't hear the nuances like you once did.

All my ALK ESNs use Solens in the woofer filters.  I agree not the most resolving and this is most noticeable in the higher frequencies. I never used them there.  But ESNs will have huge cap values and Solen has those values, they are consistent, and they are actually just fine in the woofer filters.  Never an issue for me.