Choice of Speakers For L-Shaped Living Area

ishwash

Hi Klipsch People!

Looks like a great site...I just found it and immediately joined.

I do my stereo music listening in a large L-shaped room. Use either an old Dynaco PAT5 and Stereo 416 or a Yamaha AS801 two channel integrated amp to run a pair of Forte III speakers located in the upper end of the L. I listen from chairs located about halfway down the I portion of the L. I Want to add a second pair of speakers in the boot-heel area of the L-shaped room. Another pair of Forte speakers in that area would immerse me in sound and would be a very "balanced" sound situation, of course it would be pretty expensive for me. A pair of Heresy's would also be expensive but not so much as the Forte's.

I am a finicky listener, and hate getting up and down to change sound settings..

Should I just bite the bullet and get the second pair of Forte's or can I order a pair of Heresy's and be confident that listening to that combination will be "balanced"? Also is it the opinion of you folks that Heresy's need a subwoofer, or not? If yes, would the subwoofer be sound-destructive set up at a location about halfway between the two Forte's and two Heresy speakers? I don't feel a subwoofer is needed at all with my Forte III speakers, but I see mixed opinions of a sub being needed for the Heresy.

Also, the Yamaha integrated amp is 125 watts per channel. Do I need to utilize A and B hookups for these particular two pairs of speakers or can I get by with running two pairs of speakers in parallel on each channel from say the A Side and not use the B Side at all? How would you do it? I think I can hook the Dynaco 416 up about any way I wish since it is a pretty powerfull amp (200 per channel into 8 ohms) but am wondering about the Yamaha (I particular like the Yamaha because it has a remote).

Welcome to the forum!

Either another set of forte III, or sell the forte III's you have and pick up two pair of forte II. A pair of Heresy and sub may work, but then you are at the same price point as another set of III's.  INMHO Heresy with a significantly weaker bass output than the forte III will not sound balanced without a sub. 

Best regards,

John

Welcome to the Forum, ishwash. You answered your first question with the statement about being a finicky listener. You're happy with the Forte III sound, you don't need a sub with them, and you are concerned about maintaining continuity in both spaces. It seems to me that another pair of the Forte IIIs is your most reasonable option.

SSH   

• Like 1

Hi jimjimbo, I have been reading about the Pilgrimages, and it sounds cool. I never met Mr. Klipsch and was a dummy for that. Have known about his speakers and his uncompromising, colorful persona for more years than I care to admit. He was a graduate of the same college I attended, NMSU.

At my advanced age, 78, I said, heck with it I am going to get a pair; didn't realize, but should have , that having two leads to having four.

• Like 1

I suppose a 100 watt stereo L-Pad could go a ways toward balancing speakers that were not identical in sound efficiency, such as a pair of Heresy's and a pair of Forte's. Used one in years past, but it didn't have a very long life.

39 minutes ago, ishwash said:

Thanks, SSH and John! I guess that was a bit obvious, wasn't it.

I live just 30 miles from Hope, AR. Sad that I can't just go there and pick them up; at least I think that is the case.

You never know, I would check.  You might be able to pick up in Hope.

Best regards,

John

On 1/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, ishwash said:

Hi Klipsch People!

Also, the Yamaha integrated amp is 125 watts per channel. Do I need to utilize A and B hookups for these particular two pairs of speakers or can I get by with running two pairs of speakers in parallel on each channel from say the A Side and not use the B Side at all? How would you do it? I think I can hook the Dynaco 416 up about any way I wish since it is a pretty powerfull amp (200 per channel into 8 ohms) but am wondering about the Yamaha (I particular like the Yamaha because it has a remote).

The Yamaha has at least twice the power Fortes need.  Running one set of speaker wires to A outputs and another to B outputs are in fact running the speakers in parallel across the power amp section, and more convenient than trying to stuff 2 wires into one terminal.  

On 1/8/2018 at 5:47 PM, ishwash said:

I suppose a 100 watt stereo L-Pad could go a ways toward balancing speakers that were not identical in sound efficiency, such as a pair of Heresy's and a pair of Forte's. Used one in years past, but it didn't have a very long life.

I was about to say something similar..  Definitely using an L pad would improve things in the L shaped room.  ;) 

You know, I hooked my pair of old Speakerlab 7's to B and tried to listen to A/B together, course the Forte's were more sensitive and dominated, and not wanting to go to the trouble of using L-Pads for volume control, and with the absence of said L-pads, I realize just how important it would be for the B speakers to be exact duplicates of the A speakers when listening to them together, I then made a logical decision (not sure I employ much logic when messing with this hobby, obsession...whatever it truly is)...I decided, forget it, my room ain't that big so I ain't a gonna do it. I'll just listen to A and turn the volume up. Thanks though folks for your indulgence.

Now I will get back to what I have always done, for about 99 years, lust after a pair of LaScala's. 

• 4 weeks later...

Decided against adding a second pair of Forte III's to this room. I recommenced my old yearning for a pair of LaScalas and decided to pull the trigger. Have them installed now (and I WAS able to arrange picking them up at Hope). Buying the Heritage LaScala II's was best decision I have made in a long time as they truly are awesome and the best speakers I have ever heard. Broker now, but happy...smile...My review is pending. Klipsch should post it up under the Walnut LaScalas. You should read it. I said what I really think about staying "Horn" and staying "Big", just as Mr. Klipsch would have us do!

Installed them in the top of the L-shaped room.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It finally gelled! The solution for a large L-shaped room is to place a single Khorn or whatever speaker in the common, interior corner and run it on mono which should spray music out into the whole area. There would be no pairs of speakers fighting each other, and the listening position would be anywhere in the room. I doubt anybody would even notice the lack of stereo.

Funny, modern day amps don't even have a mono setting which if that's all you had would cause you to jumper the L/R speaker outputs. I don't suppose jumping them would result in sonic losses? Can't think why it would cause a problem.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, ssh said:

Welcome to the Forum, ishwash. You answered your first question with the statement about being a finicky listener. You're happy with the Forte III sound, you don't need a sub with them, and you are concerned about maintaining continuity in both spaces. It seems to me that another pair of the Forte IIIs is your most reasonable option.

SSH   

I agree with this -- bite the bullet and get another pair of Forte III's.

haha...I'll keep that in mind...the problem is the other leg of the ell is the kitchen and the wife wouldn't like that second pair of Fortes in her kitchen...I submit with that shape of the room, the solitary Khorn located in the common interior corner fills the kitchen with sound and the other end of the ell with sound as well...pshoop on stereo, go mono for this particular room and every position is a listening position.

Use this Yamaha preamp to get mono to your amp; results in  mono being available at each speaker output of your amp. Is a menu setting for the preamp so it is menu reversible. This apparently does not put your amp at risk, like improvisation with speaker wires and whatever a person might do:  Yamaha WXC-50 MusicCast wireless streaming preamplifier, also has a remote, will wifi, Bluetooth out of the box. It is a currently produced up-to-the-minute product. Also has ESS Sabre DAC for digital music from a computer.

If you run all your inputs through the WXC-50 and then into your amp, or your integrated amp, tube or old SS stand alone amp,  yes, I said integrated amp, you can apparently use its remote for volume control, replay, back, and skip forward.

It also has a subwoofer out.

Best part is low cost.