Culling the tube heard - How Best?

rplace

Over the years I've built up a small stash of tubes to keep on hand incase anything goes bad. I'm also one to rarely get rid of things always thinking I might "need" it some day. Problem is now I don't recall which tubes I got at a place like Music Land just to have a spare and what is actually worth a darn. I know the Bugle Boy I have is sweet sounding and a keeper, but I also don't have a tester. Once upon a time it was NOS, but once fired up the N in NOS is gone. Without a tester what is the best way to tell if something is worth keeping or putting ebay with an honest description and just letting the market decide?

I searched a bit but did not find any of the tube selling sites offering any type of service to test/rate/inventory your tubes. If such a service did exist how would you know the tube you sent them and the one they send you back with info is in fact your tube?

If I found a repair place locally and took in a pile of tubes what would I ask them to do for me?

I'm in a spring cleaning state of mind an thinking that if I don't have a piece of gear that can use one of my tubes I should get rid of them?

28 minutes ago, rplace said:

if I don't have a piece of gear that can use one of my tubes I should get rid of them?

To answer the question above, yes.

When you say a "small stash"...how many does that mean?

Do an inventory of your tube gear, and how many of each type of tube each unit uses.  Then do an inventory of the tubes.  Keep the best brands, Telefunken, Mullard, Siemens, etc.  and separate out the rest.  Line them up by type, and take photos.  This will be a good start.  Depending on the credibility of a place to take them for testing, it may cost you more to get them tested than they are worth on the market.  If you'd like a few of your keepers tested to confirm their viability, I'll test them for you, no charge.  I have two calibrated testers.  You can PM me if you'd like.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

To answer the question above, yes.

When you say a "small stash"...how many does that mean?

Do an inventory of your tube gear, and how many of each type of tube each unit uses.  Then do an inventory of the tubes.  Keep the best brands, Telefunken, Mullard, Siemens, etc.  and separate out the rest.  Line them up by type, and take photos.  This will be a good start.  Depending on the credibility of a place to take them for testing, it may cost you more to get them tested than they are worth on the market.  If you'd like a few of your keepers tested to confirm their viability, I'll test them for you, no charge.  I have two calibrated testers.  You can PM me if you'd like.

Probably 30 or less. Thanks for the offer to test. Very kind of you. I'll dig them all out from hiding places and see what I have. I'm guessing you are right probably all don't need to be tested as I can probably get some input via pictures of the ones to not bother with. Maybe I can get it a dozen or less that really are in question of being worth anything.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

For free?

No nothing is free. Better luck finding a local with a tube tester. Tube Depot will do what is requested. Years ago I sent lots of tubes to be tested. They did a good job.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, seti said:

No nothing is free. Better luck finding a local with a tube tester. Tube Depot will do what is requested. Years ago I sent lots of tubes to be tested. They did a good job.

do they give you a print out?

Ive also got a bunch of these single tubes... many of them really good tubes. Since they are singles I dont really know what to do with them except keep them for emergencies. how bad is it to pop in a replacement tube in a mono set up that is not matched?

Maybe post a list of what tubes you have to see if they are indeed worth spending the time and money to have them checked. Most people who are into tubes and have a tester would probably test them for free, as I would, so maybe check around locally to find a tube friend.