SOLD - Khorns in Houston

Cody_Mack

Gonna pass along these Khorns I picked up from a Forum member Erik ~2012. There is a little history on the finish; something about the prior owner inherited from his dad; he and his wife tried to finish them with average success; Erik cleaned them up best he could at the time. Anyhow, they are not all that bad, and they are solid on the performance side. Gonna pass them on for hopefully a quick sale. Gotta down-size for a little while.

$1200 firm. Will deliver or meet within a reasonable distance in Houston and surrounding. Can also bring to Pilgrimage in May and hand off there. Will hopefully get more photos this weekend.

Khorn_4.JPG

Khorn_5.JPG

Khorn_3.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for offering to sell those here first, especially at that great price.  :emotion-21:

You're asking $1200 firm?  I don't know who we have near Houston, but I predict those will be gone in 3, 2, 1......

+++

Just for my info, what is the finish and s/n stamped just under the K-55v?  Maybe 51S519?  I can't quite make it out

GLWYS

• Like 1

Just now, Cody_Mack said:

Thanks Dave. Keep the questions coming and I'll check them out. Forgot to mention they also have Crites tweeters and Erik adjusted the network accordingly. 

If you would, you might try reaching out to @Maximus89.  He's in Houston.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those look pretty darn nice for 1200 bones. GLWYS.

Same price I got my walnut ones second hand 30+ years ago. Someone with veneering skills could make those look even more beautiful.

Oh BTW do you mean the crossover point has been changed to 4500 Hz?

14 minutes ago, Cody_Mack said:

Basically took out the K-77 tweeter protection circuit; reverted back to Type A, I believe would be correct...

They look to be custom built networks, not reworked OEM or Crites.  The big caps look to be either GE or Genteq which are new motor run or light ballast caps.  I've used them before and the measure very good (according to Bob).  I see no zener diode so no tweeter protection as stated above.  The new owner shouldn't have to worry about a rebuild due to aging caps.

1 hour ago, Discgolfer123 said:

Congrats to buyer and seller no surprise these didn’t last long.

About three hours on this forum.

It's always a good day when a couple of forum members can make a deal that is good for both.  :emotion-19:

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 9:50 AM, wvu80 said:

Just for my info, what is the finish and s/n stamped just under the K-55v?  Maybe 51S519?  I can't quite make it out

Dave almost forgot but snapped this quick shot before putting the on the dolly 

IMG_0649.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings gentleman and old friends! :)

I was poking around the Garage Sale here, and was so very pleased to see that this old pair of K-horns has found another great home within the forum family.  Awesome!  The gent I bought them from (also for $1,200) told me his dad was a dentist who loved classical music, and thought the Klipschorns were the perfect speaker for that genre (I have to agree!).  They were originally raw birch, and had been painted chocolate brown.  There was not even a hint of wood grain left, and my wife and I labored over them for days, carefully removing the paint.  If I remember right, the original networks were the type AA, which couldn't be found at first.  They had been removed from the cabinets for some reason, and were found outside in unfortunately very poor condition.   I happened to have all the parts to build my preferred heritage type A network - as was correctly stated in comments above.  The motor run caps shown should be good for a long time still.

And so, Kevin, they have in my mind sort of come full-circle - I bought them with the funds from the sale of those black La Scalas so many moons ago.  Remember? :) 

When I bought the K-horns, I told the owner I would honor the very fair price I bought them for by passing that on to any future owner if I decided to sell them.  Thanks, Rick, for remembering that!  I have to say I missed them like crazy after I sold them.  As it turns out, since we are now in Arizona in a house without suitable corners, it is just as well.  I bought a pair of nice La Scalas from a guy in Phoenix this time last year, and they are working out perfectly.  In turn, this current pair of LS replace the pair of industrial LS we had that just didn't compliment our room decor in the least (which personally didn't bother me).  My poor wife has very patiently put up with this audio insanity forever, and so it was my choice to find something a bit more room-friendly.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Thanks Erik. Maybe I could have profited a couple hundred, but I think it's only fair to pass along at the same price, if that much, especially to this awesome group of fans. It's like renting them for free!

Take care, and hoping you and wife enjoying your new digs!

Rick

• Like 1