two center channel speakers - serial - parallel - transformer

Emile

Hi All,

Hoping to get some additional advise :D  Have a cheap home theater setup with an Onkyo RZ810, KG3.5's, KG1.5's and a center KV2. (For REAL sound I use my KPT-904's and Cornwall's ... same room but hooked up to seperate amps :) )

Anyhow, the KV2 center sounds "tiny," but it is the only center that fits nicely under my tv ( an RC-52 might fit, but don't think it will be a great improvement ).  Ordered a Bob Crites Ti diaphragm for the KV2 ... maybe that will help.  Was shopping on CraigsList and for $60 :D found another oak KV2 plus a set of KG2.5's.  (One can always use more Klipsch speakers ... even inferior KG's.)

So (yeah; just for fun) want to try dual KV2 centers. Did some searching and LOVED @Schu's comment, i.e. "Less than optimal... who cares. I am slightly perturbed to think I need to live in a mind set where nothing less than perfection is thought of as being less then human."  Yes; understand there are some issues, but many seem to strive for theoretical optimums :) .

Just got the new AVR, so I am a bit hesitant to run the wrong load on it. Parallel yields 4 ohms, Serial 16 ohms. Many opinions stated "don't worry about it." Should I not be concerned?  Or should I use a transformer ... if yes; 8 to 16 (edit ... don't think 8-16 is possible) or 8 to 4 ohms?

Many, many thanks!

Cheers, Emile :D 

sample transformer ...

auto-transformer-basics.gif

26 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

Why in the world would you want to ruin your imaging like that.

Haha ... as stated "just for fun" ... just to compare the differences :D 

Cheers, Emile

On 5/5/2018 at 4:42 PM, Schu said:

If your worried, run it in series... if your worried about comb filter effect, don't do it.

Just saw amp's speakers are set for 6 ohms ... so not worried ... will try parallel. Comb filter effect; wondering if I'll ever hear it :D

Cheers, Emile

18 minutes ago, Emile said:

Just saw amp's speakers are set for 6 ohms ... so not worried ... will try parallel. Comb filter effect; wondering if I'll ever hear it :D

Cheers, Emile

Comb filtering?

image.png.4c9d5c1ea85ea739cb055993fbe8b7a2.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OK; found 2 of these on my local CraigsList.  Thought I could use the woofer and tweeter (YES; 2" voice coil which is awesome) to put it in a Parts-Express box; then veneer it to keep the wife happy :D  Still trying to get one :(  These CL people are just a MAJOR pain in the azz.  Offered one an extra $40 to deliver it (20 miles) ... response "I'll be right there" :D 24 hours later; still waiting and no replies to my emails :(  Still no response from the other seller :( JEEZ.  OK; found one on Reverb.com and made an offer ... we'll see what happens :)

Cheers, Emile

Screw these CraigsList sellers. Days of trying ... with little response. OK; $75-90 as listed for old crappy units  ... paid $150 (delivered) for a almost new Yamaha SM112IV  on Reverb.com. :D  Will let you know if it makes for a good center channel :D 

Cheers, Emile

OK; lots of googling and decided (?) a VERTICAL center channel is the way to go.  So; shopping for a single Heresy or ???
Cheers, Emile [emoji3] 

I have three Hersey I’s commercials across the front. I love that the center sounds the same of the left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Awesome! If only I could find 3 Pro Heresy's [emoji20] 

They are actually HPS 4000 made by Klipsch for John Allen for theater use. They are exactly like a Hersey 1 with a beefier woofer. Same horn/driver and tweeter/driver. They sell new from John Allen’s site for $750 each I picked up three for $250. Personally the sound better than the Hersey 1’s. You can check them out at HPS4000.com

• Thanks 1

They are actually HPS 4000 made by Klipsch for John Allen for theater use. They are exactly like a Hersey 1 with a beefier woofer. Same horn/driver and tweeter/driver. They sell new from John Allen’s site for $750 each I picked up three for $250. Personally the sound better than the Hersey 1’s. You can check them out at HPS4000.com

Do a search on CL or EBay to see if there are any for sell.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Terry Palmer said:

Do a search on CL or EBay to see if there are any for sell.

Have been looking for a while :D  Hopefully picking up a pair of Heresy I's later this week :D 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I just set up two different center speakers, stacked on top of one another, both being played from an Integra ADM 2.1 100x2 chan amplifier and it sounds great. Using my Denon AVR-X4300 as processor. Give it a try and see how it sounds. I have the smaller JBL center sitting directly on top of my huge infinity center speaker, both are directly below the TV on an entertainment center. 

• Like 1