what size driver

Room is 14 X 16 with hardwood floors, drywall and so a lively bright room for audio.

Amp is Pass ACA, Pre is a modest gain type (very close to passive) DIY simple pre with regulated Power Supply, Source is 100% digital

Solid state class A, with digital source, in a bright environment = Cornscalas no way without Major room treatment and that is not conducive with young boys in the living room (only place for listening)

I spent pretty much all day moving speakers around, looking for a sweet spot and it was a no go for the big CS. However I do have a pair of monitors, single 4" driver types and perched atop the CS they actually sound pretty good. They are recessed in the mid bass  area. I contribute that to the fact that they are a mere 4" driver in a small ported cabinet.

Pass has stated that his amps are pretty much perfect for single driver speakers, and with todays tests I am inclined to agree. My only question is which would be better for my system / room I thought who better to poll than you fellas / ladies here on the forums

I can get either the Fostex BLH 16, or BLH 20 Kits as a project for me and the boys to tackle. The difference is the Cabinet size and a 6 inch driver or an 8 inch driver. Cabinet designs are very similar I am of a mind that the 8" driver offers larger cone surface and so I would think it may have improved bass.

Which would you choose and why ? 

7 hours ago, richieb said:

--- another smaller single driver appearing speaker is the KEF LS50 concentric two-way. It seems to always be highly rated, compact and can be had in a variety of finishes. Seems available used quite often too. 

Not a single driver unfortunately.  Midbass and tweeter though concentric.

Are these going to be back loaded horns?  If so the 6" may be ok.  If not I would go with the 8" since I like more realistic bass.  Also the Tang Band 8" drivers from Parts Express look very interesting.

They are indeed back loaded horns the madisound bk16 or bk20, I went ahead and ordered the 16 (uses a 6.5" driver) and opted for the better 168e sigma driver. once in the house and playing I am thinking I will augment the bass with a pair of diy subs off parts express, I am hoping to avoid the super tweeters (they have gotten very expensive, 430.00 for the bottom line t90a)

Appreciate the suggestions

2 hours ago, joessportster said:

They are indeed back loaded horns the madisound bk16 or bk20, I went ahead and ordered the 16 (uses a 6.5" driver) and opted for the better 168e sigma driver. once in the house and playing I am thinking I will augment the bass with a pair of diy subs off parts express, I am hoping to avoid the super tweeters (they have gotten very expensive, 430.00 for the bottom line t90a)

Appreciate the suggestions

Should work nicely with subs.  You might want to look at some of the more inexpensive ribbons on P-E.  Even the Smaller Aurum Cantus should be less though should sound excellent.