dubs

I have 4 of them in my Atmos room. Reference material depends on your receiver. An action packed scoff ATMOS blu-ray would show them off. Best advice is to run the receivers audyssey and then bump up each Atmos by 2db at least. For my set up watching an ATMOST film...feels like I am in a cocoon sound. Make any film WAY more immersive. And for non Atmos material, my receiver has dolby and dts upmix to fill the ATMOS.

I installed six 5800II's- currently using 4. Some great demo stuff is the actually Atmos demo material. some can be downloaded here. I just put them on a flash drive and play on my 4k player.  for movies I recommend blade runner 2049, Fury, justice league- watched Hurricane Heist the other day- cheesy movie but the soundtrack is off the charts.

https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2018 at 2:13 PM, SDDP said:

I have 4 of them in my Atmos room. Reference material depends on your receiver. An action packed scoff ATMOS blu-ray would show them off. Best advice is to run the receivers audyssey and then bump up each Atmos by 2db at least. For my set up watching an ATMOST film...feels like I am in a cocoon sound. Make any film WAY more immersive. And for non Atmos material, my receiver has dolby and dts upmix to fill the ATMOS.

Interesting idea to run the Atmos speakers a little louder. I have a pair of the 5800 II's in my living room and a new receiver coming in tomorrow. I'll give that a try.

I have a Marantz 8012 coming this week. Looking to pick up 4 140SAs to mount as front and rear heights for atmos for my current 7 channel system

Anyone use these as atmos heights yet and have any recommendations? 

Also any specific speaker wall mounts to use to angle them (if needed)?

Hey schwock5... I've been using the RP-140's for over 3 years now & they perform very well. With these there is no need to wall mount them... they sit horizontally on top of your existing Front Towers & Rear Speakers. For Atmos applications, the angle is already engineered into the cabinet (level - horizontal), & designed to bounce off the ceiling (sitting on top of your existing Front & Rear Speakers). If you still require a wall mount application... I'd position & hang a wall mount shelf & place them on the shelf.

The RP-140SA's  are 4"... coming soon are the new 5" RP-500SA. You might want to hold off & consider the RP-500SA's when they come out.

Hey dubs... lots of great Atmos content. Everything from the early Atmos releases like Transformers Age of Extinction or  the Diamond Luxe Edition of Gravity. Catalog titles such as 1992's Bram Stokers Dracula benefit as well,  for example there's a scene in the garden-courtyard with birds chirping & singing above me... where there are no speakers above me.

The new release of The Matrix on 4K UHD is also outstanding. Certainly a movie I've seen countless times over & over. The newly authored Atmos track brings object based elements into the movie I've not heard before. John Wick 1 & 2 make for great demo material. TV Box Sets of Game of Thrones are great demo worthy examples as well.

On 8/22/2018 at 2:30 PM, Nismo said:

Hey schwock5... I've been using the RP-140's for over 3 years now & they perform very well. With these there is no need to wall mount them... they sit horizontally on top of your existing Front Towers & Rear Speakers. For Atmos applications, the angle is already engineered into the cabinet (level - horizontal), & designed to bounce off the ceiling (sitting on top of your existing Front & Rear Speakers). If you still require a wall mount application... I'd position & hang a wall mount shelf & place them on the shelf.

The RP-140SA's  are 4"... coming soon are the new 5" RP-500SA. You might want to hold off & consider the RP-500SA's when they come out.

I've heard that reflecting is "less than idea" and folks in other forums who have used these at height channels getting better results.

I also don't have an ideal ceiling as there are beams running across, so not a solid surface.

Whenever i get these I will first try them as reflecting and then mounted as heights to compare.

I saw these 500s recently on the site, i think i am going to hold off for those since they have a larger woofer and changeable crossover to use better as the height channel instead of the reflecting atmos setting.